Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 03-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Pushrod Removal

Well, im in the middle of my headgasket change, got a few questions answered by calling some amodders, but still, when i remove the valve covers, and i remove the rockers, do i need to write down the amount of turns it took to get the rockers off?

or do i just remove them and then put them back on snug? im confused... and i would like to pind a pushrod puller, but i cant seem to locate one at any local autoparts stores, becuase i would not have to remove alll these pumps and screws / harnesses,

please help?
Old 03-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
This the V6?

Mine wasnt adjustable. YOu just take the bolt off and it lifts out. Same with push rods. I didnt take the "hydraulic" part out.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
This the V6?

Mine wasnt adjustable. YOu just take the bolt off and it lifts out. Same with push rods. I didnt take the "hydraulic" part out.

yeah, just taking the rocker and rod out....

another question, on the alternator feed line, there are two bolts, the bottom one, then where the feed wire sits and then the top bolt, now, i accedentaly made the bottom bolt loose, and now have to use two wrenches to hld the bottom bolt still while i loosen the top one, plz help?

AND HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET TO THE BOTTOM COILPACK BOLTS!?!?!?!?
Old 03-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

bump, still need the help
Old 03-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
The bottom coilpacks need a long extension a wobble joint and a deep well socket. The alt is fine, just hold the bottom nut while taking the top one off so you can remove the wire. Be sure to slip the cover back over it when it is off since it is still hot if the battery is hooked up. There is no such thing as a "pushrod puller" you simply unbolt the rockers and remove the pushrods, make sure not to mix them up or you will trash your motor. The rockers can be mixed and matched so you can just throw them in a pile. The tab on the pedastal of the rockers makes them self aligning, all you need to do is torque them to the proper spec and preload. Which I believe is 18 ft/lbs + 90 degrees but I may be wrong so check that before you use it. I dont have my haynes manual with me to find out for sure. Hope that is what you were looking for.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
The bottom coilpacks need a long extension a wobble joint and a deep well socket. The alt is fine, just hold the bottom nut while taking the top one off so you can remove the wire. Be sure to slip the cover back over it when it is off since it is still hot if the battery is hooked up. There is no such thing as a "pushrod puller" you simply unbolt the rockers and remove the pushrods, make sure not to mix them up or you will trash your motor. The rockers can be mixed and matched so you can just throw them in a pile. The tab on the pedastal of the rockers makes them self aligning, all you need to do is torque them to the proper spec and preload. Which I believe is 18 ft/lbs + 90 degrees but I may be wrong so check that before you use it. I dont have my haynes manual with me to find out for sure. Hope that is what you were looking for.

do you have a phonenumber i can call you at? PM me it and ill PM you mine, it will just help for a quicker response,
and i figured out that the alt is still hot when it is hooked up... LOLZAP i got it good, good thing the battery is really dead (so much it wont play the radio)

there is a pushrod puller, but im not waiting to order it, and no one around here has it
Old 03-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
battery wouldn't have anything to do with that...
Old 03-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
battery wouldn't have anything to do with that...

no, its the main wire to the battery, it was still connected when i was unscrewing the hot line in the middle of the alt, it zapped and i said eff this..... lol i stopped for the day after that
Old 03-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
you just touched the + from the battery to the ground on teh outside of the alt... thats all.

sparks aren't much to worry about. (just scares the bejesus outta you for a second)
Old 03-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
you just touched the + from the battery to the ground on teh outside of the alt... thats all.

sparks aren't much to worry about. (just scares the bejesus outta you for a second)

oh christ it did....... i was like WOAH FU*()*&(*&^(%!
Old 03-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
The intake pushrods are identified with yellow stripes and are 5 3/4 inches long.

Exhaust pushrods are identified with green stripes and are 6 inches long.

Tighten the bolts to 19 N·m (14 lb ft). Use a torque angle meter in order to tighten the bolts an additional 30 degrees.

That's the official specs. It also says to install all of the components back in their original location.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #12
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
That's the official specs. It also says to install all of the components back in their original location.

thanks! ill do that then
update tonight
Old 03-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
alerored04
GLS member

edits

Last edited by alerored04 : 03-07-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #14
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

Ghadsphi is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^ might wanna change that to a pm. I might get really drunk like a tend to and want some foneloven at 5am
Old 03-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
alerored04
GLS member

Bring it on! I am friendly and too lazy to send a PM. This forum is so small and tight knit that I really dont need to worry about it.

Last edited by alerored04 : 03-07-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #16
cherrington17
Gone

RICK ROLL HIM!!
Old 03-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #17
01OldsAleroGt
GLS member

01OldsAleroGt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 01OldsAleroGt Send a message via MSN to 01OldsAleroGt Send a message via Yahoo to 01OldsAleroGt
Quote:
RICK ROLL HIM!!

worth every second to do that... and make sure to get a voice recording just so we can all laugh our asses off
Old 03-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #18
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01OldsAleroGt View Post
worth every second to do that... and make sure to get a voice recording just so we can all laugh our asses off
:LOL:
Old 03-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #19
alerored04
GLS member

Maybe I will take it down now. ahoes!
Old 03-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #20
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
Maybe I will take it down now. ahoes!

oh... lighten up. (seriously.. i hope no-one did prank you)