Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
notyouraveragericer
GX Member

notyouraveragericer is on a distinguished road
dash and fuel gauge problem

My girlfriends 03 alero has a problem with the fuel guage, it is spuratic and never reads right. sometimes it jumps all over the place and you could fill the car up and 10 min later it will read at 1/2 a tank. also there is a problem between the guage cluster and the window switches, sometimnes when you go to put the window down the guage cluster shuts off completly, it comes back after a while but its not something that happens all the time.... I was thinking about replacing the guage cluster but i wanted to check with you guys first... electrical is not realy my thing.. I would appreciate any input you may have i need help with this thankyou keith
notyouraveragericer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Fenderxcore
GL Member

Fenderxcore is on a distinguished road
It's the fuel pumps sending unit

Oh yeah and the window thing seems like some sorta bad connection to me
Old 11-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
crimped wires, shorting

and fuel pump sendin unit
Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

DansGen1Alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Yahoo to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Skype™ to DansGen1Alero
How easy is this for DIYers and where is the fuel pump sending unit? Or is this all replaced with a fuel pump, of course it can also be the floater and then you may have to drop the tank

"Vinyl belongs on the side of a house not on a car"
DansGen1Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
notyouraveragericer
GX Member

im realy not sure what do do .... im sory i forgot to mention that the fuel pump sending unit has been replaced twice already. any other suggestions???
Old 11-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
Quote:
Originally Posted by DansGen1Alero View Post
How easy is this for DIYers and where is the fuel pump sending unit? Or is this all replaced with a fuel pump, of course it can also be the floater and then you may have to drop the tank

You'll have to drop the tank for the floater or the sending unit. The sending unit is part of the pump assembly, and AFAIK, the sending unit and pump are usually replaced as a single unit. Not sure if the sending unit is even available separately.

Since you say the pump unit has been replaced twice already, I'm not sure what to tell you. I suppose it could be the floater, but I thought that was part of the assembly too, so that would have already been replaced. Sounds like straight up electrical gremlins. You could check the electrical connection at the pump assembly and see if it looks corroded or anything.

As for your other issue, check the wires inside the boot that goes through the door jamb to the door. Normal wear and tear may have the wires in there worn down/smashed/rubbing etc. causing shorts.

If neither seems to be the issue, I suppose it could be the cluster.
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
notyouraveragericer
GX Member

is this a common problem with the alero? and if so is the fix usualy the fuel pump sending unit? has anyone had this problem with it being the guages?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

Send a message via AIM to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Yahoo to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Skype™ to DansGen1Alero
The gas gauge is a common problem, as far as it being the sending unit for sure is up for debate. I have the problem with my guage going off the hook, I doubt personally it is the guage and either pump, sending unit, or floater. I never replaced any of mine, and i am assuming that labor would be a biotch. I just used my trip odo, to determine when i needed gas. But now that my car sits (battery disconnected) I cant tell, so I am looking for a solution as well.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
surreal_awakening
GL Member

I had the problem. It was the sending unit. I got a used assembly from a junkyard or ebay or wherever the hell it was and replaced it myself. It's a little challenging, but if you make sure your tank is empty or very close to empty and put the back end up on ramps, it's very doable. I have access to a pit, so that made it even easier. The odometer trick eventually lets you down lol I did it for a long time with the ho. And I did it with my jeep for about 3 or 4 years, but about once a year I would run out of gas.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

lol damn, not funny but kinda.

I have no idea how much I have in my tank, but shoud be a good bit.
So would you be willing to lend your services if I got the part to install

Old 11-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #11
surreal_awakening
GL Member

LOL yeah I'll give you a hand with it. You've got a 99 don't you? I've got a spare assembly, but it's from a 2000. My 99 is gone now.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

PM sent

Old 11-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
notyouraveragericer
GX Member

ok so i just had a mechanic check out the problem and it all leads to the guage cluster. since the pump/sender was replaced already we did some digging and looking at the wiring diagram everything passes through the cluster at some point even the window switches and the radio so hopefuly this will solve that problem too. the guage flutters sometimes and you can make it do so by hitting the dash so there must be a bad connection in there somewhere. the window switch thing would shut down the whole dash and the radio so i think the cluster is the common link between everything so were going to try to get a used cluster and try that and hopefuly solve this problem (its realy more anoying than anything) if anyone knows the best place to find a used cluster or has one they would like to sell please let me know
Old 11-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
SOunds like a missing ground, and the voltage is finding different ways through the circuit. Looks like ya gotta dig in and go searching.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #15
notyouraveragericer
GX Member

how digfficult is it to dismantle the dash in the alero ive never worked on this car before i know my scion is held together with placstic clips and is simple to take apart lol
Old 11-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #16
surreal_awakening
GL Member

The cluster pulls out easily enough. Remove the two screws holding the black trim in. They point upwards. Then pull out on the black trim. It won't pull out too far because of the trip reset button. Get it loose then disconnect that wire. Once that's out of the way, there should be 4 screws holding the cluster in. Remove the screws, lower the steering column all the way, then wiggle and manipulate the cluster until it comes out. The harness connector is at the top right. Unplug it and you're free.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #17
notyouraveragericer
GX Member

if i do replace the whole cluster do i have to get one from the same year and its a 3.4 do i need to get one from that motor?
Old 11-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #18
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

Motor "may" not matter, but year could as they made a lot of changes that were behind the scenes.

Do a search for your year and engine on ebay, Im sure you could find one there, and it be pretty cheap, I assume.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #19
notyouraveragericer
GX Member

will do thankyou
Old 11-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #20
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
you need the mileage flashed onto the cluster also, the mileage is kept in the cluster, and the BCM