Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 09-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
GL2Alero
GX Member

GL2Alero is on a distinguished road
Monsoon and aftermarket speakers

Ok so I bought some Kenwood 4 way speakers and find out that I have the monsoon system in my car. I tried wiring the drivers side with the green and blue wires and I get sound but not great. Tried using other combinations and the blue and green were the loudest.

Is this what it is or am I missing something? Can these speakers not be hooked up through the amp and work well?

Is it possible for me to wire these new speakers to the stock radio and bypass the amp and if so how?
GL2Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
I have mine hooked up blue to black/white and green to solid black...when i hooked mine up it made a difference in how it was hooked up
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
GL2Alero
GX Member

Thanks for the reply but not sure what it means. My car has 4 wires drivers side before the factory speaker plug colored solid red, solid purple, blue w/white stripe and green w/white stripe.
Passenger side is solid white, solid yellow, light blue w/black stripe, and light green w/ black stripe.
The aftermarket speakers I bought just have +/- connection.
I want to know which colored wires go to + and which go to - and if this will even work with the stock monsoon amp.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
GL2Alero
GX Member

Well I got it all hooked up with the green and blue wires its just not impressive.
I guess Im just screwed messing with the monsoon. All I wanted was to replace the rear speaker that was blown.
I guess my options are replace rear speakers with stock replacements or install a whole new audio system....
Old 09-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
Fuzzyspudkiss
GX Member

Fuzzyspudkiss is on a distinguished road
I replaced my back two stock speakers with Sony Xplodes and it worked fine and they sound much better than the old ones (the old ones were blown) They have enough bass to shake the mirrors...and I have the monsoon amp...I also replaced the front ones with no issue...I can check which wires I soldered them to if you want.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
hook the blue from the car and hook it to the black/white stripe on the speaker harness and take the green from the car and hook it to the solid black for the speaker harness...the stripes on the car's wiring are for which is driver and passenger side
Old 09-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
GL2Alero
GX Member

Thanks for the replys. I have hooked it up as mentioned and it makes sound but not as good as the stock speakers, no mirror vibrations (stock ones would vibrate mirror) so Im not impressed. So without having to redo the whole system I just ordered a new pair of stock speakers from the dealer for $130. I was happy with the stock system its just one of the speakers blew. My brother is going to buy the aftermarket speakers I bought for it.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
SIUlero
GL Member

SIUlero is on a distinguished road
I can't remember the exact details, but there is a thread somewhere here that explains why aftermarket speakers don't work well with the monsoon system. It has something to do with the factory speakers having split impedances...one side is 4 ohm and the other side is 8 ohm. I remember it was mentioned that, at the time, there was only one set of aftermarket speakers that was made the same way, and they were pricey. Spend some time on the search bar and you might find that thread.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/CrazyOldsGuy
SIUlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #9
03glgold
GLS member

I have Xplodes just like Fuzzy and they work fairly well hooked into the monsoon system...they can vibrate the mirror just fine...I replaced for the same reason as you...The Xplodes seem to have equal or slightly better output than the original in my opinion.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
its the quality of the aftermarket speakers. my friend bought cheap 6x9s to put in the rear deck, they sounded like crap. went out and traded them for higher quality ones, now they sound awesome

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:54 AM   #11
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Drop some alpine type r's in there. I'll never go back to a kicker, infinity, Rockford, or Polk like iv had before. The alpines know how to tear up your ears the best. I have mine amped, the r's are made to be but don't sound bad w/o. The type s is also very nice to.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:04 AM   #12
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
We had the same thing happen in our Grand AM GT with the Monsoon system. Went and bought aftermarket speakers only to find out they didn't work. We ended up just getting the stock speaker replacements from GM. They were more expensive like you said, but at least the Grand AM now has rear speakers again that aren't blown and it sounds great too.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #13
zearchyo
GL Member

zearchyo is on a distinguished road
how come not all aleros have monsoon systems, was that like a extra option on cars?

yeah right!
zearchyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
luckilero7
GL Member

luckilero7 is an unknown quantity at this point
I was going to try to find the 6x9s that would work just for the mids and then use tweeters I have for the highs to use with my monsoon system because my 6x9s have blown also. I didn't know we could still get our 6x9 monsoon speakers at the dealer.
luckilero7 is offline   Reply With Quote