Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 03-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #141
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Fresh.

[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #142
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
It took me 3 weeks to do a LIM job, and I thought I was taking forever.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #143
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I've only worked on it for 1 day disassembling, and 1.5 days reassembling it. It's the fastest I've ever done it.

It's the machine work and part ordering that takes forever. And this extra radiator job that I have to wait for the shop to do on the hoist.

The car sat for a week or so until I was able to tow it to the shop. Another couple weeks before they even pulled the block out. After it was out, took 1-2 weeks for Russ to get a chance to disassemble it. Then, after discovering that oversized pistons were necessary, I had to order those. Had to borrow money. Took a long time for them to be delivered. Once in, everything had to be brought over to the machine shop, where it took 3-4 weeks for the shop to be get to my components (they have a huge list of business going on, their shop is packed with heads, blocks, internals and they work 9AM-7PM 6 days a week). Once the block was machined, it was found piston rings were broken in the package. Ordered a new set, overnight. Those were broken. Ordered another new set, those were okay. Bottom end assembly took about a week. Shop tends to work on many different projects and mine isn't the only or priority one. Then another week for them to put the engine in.

I hardly have time to get to the shop during working hours as they close at 6PM everyday and I work full time and get out at 4:30PM and get to the shop around 5PM. I'm going as fast as I can while maintaining an extremely high level of care and precision as to how things are being put together. I want this to last, not just be thrown together in the fastest time possible to fall apart again in a month or two.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #144
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
as far as your trans lines go: your not going to loose enough fluid to damage anything by running the car. once the new lines are in start the car up, pull the plug and fill it up like you normaly would.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #145
[ion] C2
636 whp

typical Dex/Merc trans fluid I assume is what I should use?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #146
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
yep...

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #147
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
use dex-VI. it's got electrolytes.
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #148
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
mobil1 full synthetic atf! expensive but i love the stuff in my tranny

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #149
[ion] C2
636 whp

i'm just refilling what's lost, not trying to blow money on fancy fluid. it's going to break apart soon anyway.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #150
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
oh ok

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #151
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
sooo is it finished yet ???

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #152
[ion] C2
636 whp

Shop's closed on the weekends........ they told me they couldn't get to the radiator til next week (which is this week). I'm hoping for Tuesday (my day off).
Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #153
[ion] C2
636 whp

Radiator's in, heading over during my lunch to start it up hopefully.

I got a call from one of the guys at the shop asking me what to connect for my ignition and where my fuel relay was because I had those disconnected... they wanted to start it up. I was like no, no one is starting it. I will be there to do that.

No way am I letting it be cranked for oil circulation and then have its first start without me present.

Plus, they were only supposed to bolt in the radiator and hook up the trans lines. All the other hoses and my battery and tray and such are all me. Wonder what I'll walk into seeing when I get there. My charge pipe also was off. I like to do the final clamp down on everything...
Old 03-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #154
[ion] C2
636 whp

It runs. Sounds good.

Leaks oil severely.

Appears to be shooting out from the cam tower cover to cam tower gasket area. Have to take off the timing cover, housing, chain, tensioner, etc. AGAIN to replace it. I re-used the rubber gaskets here instead of using the new ones. I've re-used them before and never had an issue (basically did that so I wouldn't have to take the covers off the towers, so that I could just keep the cams, towers, and covers all together during disassembly and re-assembly. Apparently the gasket got twisted or otherwise did not seal.)
Old 03-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #155
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Oh that sucks.....
Old 03-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #156
[ion] C2
636 whp

It will take me about 6 hours. Hopefully I can take off work Friday and knock it out.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #157
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Chris, reusing gaskets when you have done a complete rebuild is not smart and you know that............come on, man.

Just because you did it before............I've played Russian roulette before and didn't die so I'll do it again.........Eventually you'll die
Old 03-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #158
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Ouch... get it runnin' dude! Hope Friday goes well man, good luck with it
Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #159
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
You have to be pissed off by now :P
Old 03-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #160
[ion] C2
636 whp

Yeah, it's been a bitch working on this. Luckily what needs to be done here is rather simple (to me) and I might finally be able to drive it around Friday.

Once it's broken in, I'll be sure to get some nice videos and stuff.