Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LA1 3400 Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   I'm buying another 3400 engine! (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26116)

Beholder88 03-08-2009 09:41 PM

Hmmmm, not sure about the EGR, but looks like you got the EGR with that motor, so as ling as the wires connect up right you might be OK.

99alerogirl 03-08-2009 09:43 PM

yeah, i heard something about how they're mounted horizontally on 99's and vertically after that, but they should work either way.

Beholder88 03-08-2009 09:50 PM

As long as the EGR on that motor you got still works, you might as well use it. Looks like you got a few other sensors as well, the MAP sensor is there, all the injectors, probably the knock sensor and the collant temp sensor on the thermostat housing. You're set.

kwhauck 03-08-2009 11:13 PM

if you are doing a build just delete the EGR, it's not worth keeping around....

99alerogirl 03-08-2009 11:59 PM

yeah, and we don't have emissions anyways. does deleting it have any benefit?

Kilroy 03-09-2009 12:48 AM

Any chance you'll wind up with a spare power steering pump? If so, I could really use it. Mine doesn't like me anymore. Sounds like my ex-wife, always whining!!

Beholder88 03-09-2009 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99alerogirl (Post 439186)
yeah, and we don't have emissions anyways. does deleting it have any benefit?

Check out my thread for my LIMG project. I've got pictures of the UIM and the throttle body right after I took them off. The insides are black as tar. That's from the EGR. Exhaust Gas Recirculation. The valve lets exhaust gasses back in through the intake, causing carbon build-up on everything it touches. Dumb invention...

99alerogirl 03-09-2009 07:51 AM

haha I needed the power steering pump too, but no I didn't get it :(

lonnie 03-09-2009 08:11 AM

You had some worried leg humpers in here! They thought the guy may have taken you! Now you have something to do every day.

99alerogirl 03-09-2009 11:05 AM

haha no I had my stepdad and sister with me, so I had backup ;)

IRONDOG442 03-09-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfuller (Post 437677)
The motor is not that big; you can fit it inside the Trailblazer just fine.
Is is a bit heavy though, especially considering the cast-iron block. About 400lbs. fully dressed.
You'll need some wood blocks to sit it on, and obviously a tarp or something so you don't leak any oil/other fluids and run the Trailblazer. I'd highly suggest an engine stand if you are planning on disassembling the motor.

This gives you an idea of the size (the accessories are missing, of course - alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor, and a few idler pulleys):

And here's an old one just sitting on a couple of wood blocks on the garage floor:

Lifting the entire engine assembly with those weak ass 10 mm middle intake bolts threaded into aluminum seems like a horrible idea.

99alerogirl 03-09-2009 11:20 PM

i got bored and started disassembling today, even though it was still outside on the trailer! ha, i got impatient. anyways, i took off the TB, UIM, some random hoses and lines, the thermostat housing, the thermostat, and started taking off the LIM. this engine is DIRTY. i have pictures, but i'm far too lazy to mess with it all right now. i broke a socket adapter though :( and cut open my thumb, but hey, it was fun!

Kilroy 03-10-2009 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99alerogirl (Post 439497)
i got bored and started disassembling today, even though it was still outside on the trailer! ha, i got impatient. anyways, i took off the TB, UIM, some random hoses and lines, the thermostat housing, the thermostat, and started taking off the LIM. this engine is DIRTY. i have pictures, but i'm far too lazy to mess with it all right now. i broke a socket adapter though :( and cut open my thumb, but hey, it was fun!

Will you marry me??? :wub: :wub: :wub:

Beholder88 03-10-2009 07:28 AM

Nice, make sure you keep everything you take off. The easy part is taking it apart, the hard part is putting it all back together!

mfuller 03-10-2009 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRONDOG442 (Post 439348)
Lifting the entire engine assembly with those weak ass 10 mm middle intake bolts threaded into aluminum seems like a horrible idea.

NEVER lift the engine by anything except the two large black steel lifting brackets!!! One is bolted to the front cylinder head and the other is sandwiched between the timing cover and the alternator.
I did not lift it by the LIM bolts......I'm not quite that clueless.:rolleyes2:

kwhauck 03-10-2009 11:19 AM

pedo bear seems so appropriate