Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Ignition lock and GM trouble (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38018)

falloutboy 06-13-2014 10:52 AM

Ignition lock and GM trouble

Just a quick question, is the Alero in any way remotely affected by the GM ignition TSB?
Or was there every any TSB about our ignition lock system?

Nas Escobar 06-13-2014 06:37 PM

Not as of yet. All the cars affected by the TSB are 2005 and newer on the Greek alphabet named platforms.

They technically should be recalled as well for the passlock issue that the N body is known for but that's wishful thinking.

falloutboy 06-14-2014 05:17 AM

I do not really know what the ignition TSB really is about. But since we had 2 issue with Aleros driving on the interstate and loosing all power.
One lost all power to the gauges, engine still running
the other lost all power to the engine, ABS, Steering and security system while all gauges lit up like a x-mas tree.

03glgold 06-14-2014 07:40 AM

It was an issue with the key being able to turn out of the on position while driving...more common to happeb with lots of keychains on the key

falloutboy 06-14-2014 07:59 AM

that being the actual tsb, or the issue the Alero lock has?

tw0123 06-14-2014 09:32 AM

Those are the tsb issues.... to me yours sounds like the alternate might be failing or a grounding issue might be developing from corrosion....

Nas Escobar 06-15-2014 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falloutboy (Post 655812)
I do not really know what the ignition TSB really is about. But since we had 2 issue with Aleros driving on the interstate and loosing all power.
One lost all power to the gauges, engine still running
the other lost all power to the engine, ABS, Steering and security system while all gauges lit up like a x-mas tree.

The TSB stems from a situation that happened to somebody in Georgia (the state). There was an accident where the car cut off and then the car flipped over killing the driver. Since then this got more attention and now there's a TSB over something redundant considering the fact that most key cylinders become loose and ineffective over time, especially if you have a bunch of key chains and keys on it (think janitor keys). Considering the fact that any key cylinder can be bumped off if it's too heavy then Toyota would need to recall whatever cars from the 80's and 90's are still left considering that those cars were notorious for the key falling out the cylinder. You could start them with a flathead screwdriver or another car key and it was like nothing happened.

This whole situation is nothing more than people choosing to whine over the fact that they have too many keys on their keychains. You're not supposed to put your car key with your chain of keys from your house and job. There's a reason the key ring on the key is big enough to only hold the fob (on the older keys that didn't have the fob integrated into the key). I don't have this problem because I keep my car keys separate from my house keys.

Your issue is electrical. You may have a bad battery or a bad alternator. You could also have exposed wiring that's shorting or a bad ground. The best thing to do is have your alternator and battery tested.

Also as far as the Alero and the well known passlock flaw, I don't think the recall will affect it because the passlock issue is way different from the key ignition being too weak to hold 200 pounds

falloutboy 06-15-2014 07:03 AM

Roger, thanks for that Nas, thats what I thought.

I'll see what I can find out about these cars and their issues. If its something odd, I'll keep you (the Forum) posted :usa:

and just a ranter - I hate this passlock system the Export Models have. Have to have the FOB working and nothing interfering, this is a PITA

zzyzzx 06-16-2014 02:37 PM

I agree with Nas Escobar.