Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Audio, Video & Security (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   c pillar in rear help with cutting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36226)

irondiezl3 08-07-2012 02:48 AM

c pillar in rear help with cutting

i have some tweeters that need some more room to fall flush my questions is before i cut the hole out of the metal behind the pillar is it going to cut to the outside or is our cars 2 pieces put together? i just want to make sure before i cut out the circle that it will only go through one side.

Papa Rad17 08-07-2012 03:06 AM

pop it off to cut it.

irondiezl3 08-07-2012 03:15 AM

yea i have the pillar cut already now i gotts cut the circle out of the metal part behind the pillar just want to make sure it wont go to the outside if i do so meaning is there 2 layers of metal.

Gr1m 08-07-2012 10:40 AM

i dont know why you would start cutting pillars to fit tweeters...

Shiwnath 08-07-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gr1m (Post 622697)
i dont know why you would start cutting pillars to fit tweeters...

This. They're only tweeters. Just doesn't seem like a good idea. You'd be better off cutting up the tweeter trim piece to get them to fit. Even if they would stick out a bit more, at least you didn't have to cut into a structural pillar just to fit a tweeter.

tw0123 08-07-2012 02:40 PM

Add a couple layers of fiberglass on the front of the pillar and make a small pod to give you the rear clearance you need...

DRM Racing 08-25-2012 01:18 PM

there should be no need at all to cut your Pillar. In all my years of being a certified audio installer have I ever had to cut into a pillar to mount a tweeter. Do you not have the factory tweeter pods on the doors above the door panel?

sleepyalero 08-25-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM Racing (Post 623941)
there should be no need at all to cut your Pillar. In all my years of being a certified audio installer have I ever had to cut into a pillar to mount a tweeter. Do you not have the factory tweeter pods on the doors above the door panel?

hes putting tweeters in the pillars that run along the rear windshield. not in front.

BLK03GXS 08-26-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irondiezl3 (Post 622688)
yea i have the pillar cut already now i gotts cut the circle out of the metal part behind the pillar just want to make sure it wont go to the outside if i do so meaning is there 2 layers of metal.

Well, First of all i agree with others in that you shouldn't need to cut any metal to fit a speaker (with the exp of the occasional door or rear shelf set-up) and that if you are running components in the rear mounting the tweet facing up at the glass will give you more then enough imaging for what a rear stage needs usually...
HOWEVER if you need to have flush-rear mounted forward facing tweeters, with the pillar plastic removed you should be able to identify the inner metal support of the roof (this has holes and such in it, like where the clips for the plastic fit into) and if you stick your finger thru one of these holes, and don't get it stuck meow... you should be able to feel the smooth outer layer...
don't cut/heat the outer sheet metal or you will require bodywork to repair your mistake.

Oh and Btw if you have family friends or loved ones that travel with you.. and you cut some of this structural tin out.. and you roll your car and the roof buckles/fails your insurance company/law enforcement will site you for negligence. food for thought.

mmorello82 08-26-2012 06:37 AM

I agree. So what if they are not completely flush. You should NEVER cut into framework on a vehicle. You're just asking for trouble. Think of it this way, my father always told me; "engineers get paid a lot more than you do to figure out why that metal should be there. Don't argue with them"