Thread: Newbie here
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the forum!! I hope you got that car at a low price.

Anyways, I'm going to dissect your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
- windows don't work. the clips that take the window up and down are broken on every door. am i able to just buy the clips? or do i have to buy the whole window unit(minus the glass of course)? right now, they glass is literally being help up by blocks of wood the guy somehow lodged under the glass to keep them up snug.

This one is easy. Even the lodging of the wood was easy, it's not going to be hard to get them out.

These windows have 2 clips on each window called "sash clips". They are the same throughout all 4 windows (you didn't state doors, but I assume it's a 4). They are glued on by some gorilla glue type of ordeal. You have to get the window out on each door and change off those clips.

This situation looks like this

Here's a link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-piece-Window-Glass-Regulator-Repair-Sash-Connector-Guide-Clips-Grand-Am-Alero-/331188504363?fits=Make%3AOldsmobile|Model%3AAlero

Make sure it's those sash clips and not the window regulator. If it's the regulator, you have to swap out the whole thing.

Quote:
- replace head unit. guessing he got a cassette stuck cause every now and again, everything cuts out and it tries reading a cassette and the display shows that one is in it, even though there isn't.

If your car is a 2002 or above, you will need the chime module to keep your chimes, otherwise you have to tap into the brown ignition wire (it was brown in my Grand Am) for the radio to work on the switch. You will also lose your RAP feature.

Quote:
- add an external antenna. seriously, who decided to combine the rear defroster and the antenna? every time i turn it on, the radio turns to static.

Actually, the defroster/antenna feature is very common now. Although why the Grand am got a mast antenna and the Alero didn't is beyond me.

This is somewhat complicated. I'm assuming it's the modulator.

Someone did a how to, but I assume this person had no working defrost. You may have to swap yours out.

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25298
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote