Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 05-03-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
mlcroy20

Alrighty well I've got all of my speakers installed PG6.5 in the door w Pioneer 4x6s in the back but I want to fill out the low end a little bit. However I decided against a sub because I travel waaayyyy to much and can't afford to lose any trunk space.

So my next project will be to put a Kenwood wOOx in my car. I actually heard one in a Stratus today and the sound is really really close to what I'm looking for and with my Kenwood HU coming in the next few weeks I figured they would pair up good...

Here's where I need some suggestions it is 15 long x 9 wide x 4 tall where should I mount this at? I have a 4 door... I'm thinking about doing a custom job and mounting it within the back part of the rear seat.. putting it in-between the passanger side and driver's side ... basically up and down it seems like it would be a nice fit, but thought I'd ask what some of the audiophiles on here thought about it.. and about how much work it would be...

Thanks in advance and if you need me to clearify anything let me know...
btw... here is the wOOx.. my car has like the gray interior so it should match up well
Old 05-03-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're looking for the most bass you can get from the unit, pointing it backwards from the back seat would more than likely be your best bet. However, seeing as how you're looking to be trunk-space efficient, you could always mount the unit so that it's "down-firing" from the rear deck. It wouldn't give you as much bass responce, but this way, you only lose the thickness of the unit it's self, and NO trunk floorspace @ all. Just another thought to ponder..... Hope this helps, Mlc

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:29 PM   #3
jiffy

I remember that those were marketed to fit under seats, any chance it will fit under the driver or passenger seat?

Another possbility would be to mount it in the monsoon amp location.

Or, mounting it rear facing to the back of the back seat, you are going to hardly loose any room, and it would sound better than the downfiring rear deck or the monsoon location...
Old 05-05-2005, 03:42 PM   #4
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Mount it on the dash otherwise your not gunna hear it... haha

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
^^ what he said. Not really worth the money. Get a good set of 6x9s and you'd probably get the same amount of bass.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:29 PM   #6
BLK03GXS
GLS member

Yea IMO that thing is a wase of time... if you had a set of good componants up front, with crossovers, and some 6.5 inch midbass, or even if you were creative... and what i plan to do... put a 8inch sub in the front. or put one 10 inch in the back... and glass it into the side of the trunk...

Old 05-05-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
jamcllw
GLS member

I've often thought about building a box that would fit an 8" in the console behind the radio. With the sub facing the firewall but I'm not sure how it would sound.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:57 PM   #8
BLK03GXS
GLS member

Im going to put them in the doors... hopefully :hide:

Old 05-05-2005, 09:13 PM   #9
jiffy

jamcllw - the 8" might actually be a good idea, at least its original (first i've heard of it). Why face it towards the firewall instead of downfire or towards the radio though?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:46 PM   #10
mlcroy20

^^^ IMO if you put an 8 in that area behind the HU you will be constantly chasing down rattles... not really sure that it would sound that great...
Old 05-05-2005, 10:09 PM   #11
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
I have to agree. rattles would would be a given. Not too mention that your HU may start to skip on cd's. The other thing I would worry about is the magnet. I am not sure of what electrical componants may be in the dash as well. Could the eights magnet cause a problem? Just curious.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:41 AM   #12
mlcroy20

Quote:
Originally posted by mikegett@May 5 2005, 10:09 PM
The other thing I would worry about is the magnet. I am not sure of what electrical componants may be in the dash as well. Could the eights magnet cause a problem? Just curious.

I didn't even think about that... but you make a good point, I haven't taken off my dash in this car yet... but I'm sure that might be a possible problem.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:31 AM   #13
jamcllw
GLS member

I don't know if the magnet would affect anything or not. Never thought about that.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:58 AM   #14
beeanner
GX Member

beeanner is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to beeanner
If your looking to put a sub type speaker behind the HU, you might want to look at a Focal 5WS sub. Its a 5 1/4 sub that really does a nice job. I had one crammed in the dash of my 96 civic and it really sounded great (I would say it was playing as good as an 8'' sub would play) I basicly just built a box as big as i could for it and let'er rip. Not sure on the price nowadays, I paid about 200 for it over 3 years ago.

Hard to think that a little 5 1/4 sub would play that good, but it really does. I will be throwing one in my Alero this summer since there is far more room behind the ac/hu/storage bin area then my civic had.

Here is the link to the Focal 5WS
beeanner is offline   Reply With Quote