Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 05-12-2004, 10:50 PM   #1
mdodge
GLS member

mdodge is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mdodge
I have searched on this and everything I find is in relation to the infamous trunk rattle. I was wondering if anyone has put any kind of sound proofing materials in the front door to quiet road noise and rattles from the the cheap plastic in the doors. What would be best? Dynomat?

I am also trying to find a way to quiet down the awful creaking of the cheap plastic from the dash. I like to hear everything in my music.

Thanks.
mdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 11:15 PM   #2
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
1st off... if you want a good sonic enviroment forget any chance of your car being fast....
2'd buy all the dynomat you can find... and dynomat the shyeeit outta the inside of your car.

I beleave they usto sell "door kits" to do a door... yes dynamat will work well to muffle road noise.
Refrence the dash... (i will prolly have to do the same) just pull it apart and dynamat wut u can... the rest you will have to be creative about, as i dont know how much of the dash you can matt up...

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 11:41 PM   #3
mdodge
GLS member

I thought about maybe just mattin the front doors and open up the dash as seein what I can do there. Takin apart my doors a million times for modding has really loosen the plastic and it rattles like hell sometimes. What about the foam in the doors? Can that be replaced with something better? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:30 AM   #4
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
I am in agreement with the rattles. It does not matter how high my stereo is, if ther is a rattle then I will go mad trying to fix it. My car is only a year old so it has few rattles, but my previous cars gave me plenty of trouble. I suggest that if you have pulled your door panels off then spend the ten dollars to replace all plastic clips. Do no buy the ones from auto zone. I have found that the plastic is too hard and breaks very easily. Get the replacements directly from GM. Dinomat is pretty good but very expensive. Try doing the trunk and floor before putting into the door. As for the dash, I have had good luck with silicone. Gett some of the plumbing silicone (or similar product) and place a small bead on the back of your dash parts. This includes the plastic air ducts and radio bezel. Do not overdue it. all excess will squirt out and make a mess. Just do not use the permanant silicone. You want something that will not bond with the vinyl. It seems that the cheaper the product the better for this aplication. It will also help to put a very good coat of armorall on the dash parts to avoid any bonding. Good luck.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 12:46 PM   #5
mdodge
GLS member

Thanks for the suggestions. :thumbsup:

I actually found some carpet pad off a friend in the carpet business for free so I'm going to use that for the doors and the floor. And yeah my clips could definitely be replaced.

I'm not really going to worry about the dash quite yet but that will be a future project. Right now it's just the doors that are really bad.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:43 PM   #6
mikegett
GL Member

My car is a 2003. I have had it for ten months and was rearended two weeks ago. I got my car back about two days ago and now the front dash rattles realy bad. Looks like I get to start working on my car now.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:37 PM   #7
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

brsexton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brsexton
Quote:
Originally posted by mikegett@May 22 2004, 12:43 PM
My car is a 2003. I have had it for ten months and was rearended two weeks ago. I got my car back about two days ago and now the front dash rattles realy bad. Looks like I get to start working on my car now.

I was just wondering if you ever found anything that helped your rattles? My Alero has never been in a wreck, but it sure has started to rattle quit a bit. I seem to be getting rattles from the drivers door, trim around stereo or ignition switch, and from the A-pillars. I have never had any of my car apart except for the radio. I am not sure what I can do about this (if anything).
Old 05-03-2005, 08:57 PM   #8
mikegett
GL Member

Not realy. I have fixed a few, but I keep pulling things apart for new projects. The dash was a problem, but I replaced most of my clips with new ones from GM. Stay away from autozones. They don't work. It helped to pull alot of it tight again. I also placed a small amount of lubricant on the back side of my dash parts. It seemed to work pretty good. I used oring lubricant. It is very thick and won't break down or hurt vinyl. Much easier than the silicone I used on my old car. My current noise is from the moon roof switch and liner. It rattles like a mother. I have yet to find something to stop it. And no, punching it doesn't help. I have tried multiple times. Probably why it keeps getting louder.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:25 PM   #9
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikegett@May 3 2005, 07:57 PM
Not realy. I have fixed a few, but I keep pulling things apart for new projects. The dash was a problem, but I replaced most of my clips with new ones from GM. Stay away from autozones. They don't work. It helped to pull alot of it tight again. I also placed a small amount of lubricant on the back side of my dash parts. It seemed to work pretty good. I used oring lubricant. It is very thick and won't break down or hurt vinyl. Much easier than the silicone I used on my old car. My current noise is from the moon roof switch and liner. It rattles like a mother. I have yet to find something to stop it. And no, punching it doesn't help. I have tried multiple times. Probably why it keeps getting louder.

Thanks for the info. I think my trim parts just needs some lube. Most of it is creaks, but the door panel is a rattle. I may take it off this summer to check and see what it going on.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:54 PM   #10
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
My doors sound like a bag of tin cans... it sucks... ahhh im going to buy a LOAD of sound, deadening... and some fiberglass... and its gunna be a REAL GOOD TIME
The newest thing that has started to rattle in my alero is the rear panel behind my head... and the fenders tend to "breathe" along with the door's.....

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:36 PM   #11
mikegett
GL Member

I finaly got rid of the FREAKING rattle on the moon roof switch. This thing has realy pissed me off. The more I tried to get rid of it the worse it got. I think it was taunting me. All I had to do was put the car in drive with my foot on the break. It rattled like mad. I opened up the moon roof and pulled back the tan seal around the head liner. As I pulled down the liner I could see that the moon roof switch lays against the sunroof motor. (side note. We make the sunroof motors at work. It was kind of neat to see it in the car) I simply cut a piece of thin material and wraped the switch. No more rattle. If the Pacers would have just pulled off a win, the day would have been perfect.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:05 AM   #12
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

Glad you got rid of it. One down 60 to go..LOL.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #13
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by mikegett@May 5 2005, 09:36 PM
I finaly got rid of the FREAKING rattle on the moon roof switch. This thing has realy pissed me off. The more I tried to get rid of it the worse it got. I think it was taunting me. All I had to do was put the car in drive with my foot on the break. It rattled like mad. I opened up the moon roof and pulled back the tan seal around the head liner. As I pulled down the liner I could see that the moon roof switch lays against the sunroof motor. (side note. We make the sunroof motors at work. It was kind of neat to see it in the car) I simply cut a piece of thin material and wraped the switch. No more rattle. If the Pacers would have just pulled off a win, the day would have been perfect.

you didn't happen to snap a pic while you were at it, did you?
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote