Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 03-22-2005, 10:31 AM   #1
Dreaded X

im trying to decide on an intake that will offer me the MOST HORSEPOWER...i watched the video on the AEM short ram intake the guy made but i didnt really have a good idea on how much more horsepower u gain... at this website, alerospeed.com or org or somethin like that they have a cold air intake that they say gives u 7-9 more horsepower? is this better than the AEM short ram intake? are there any others out there that will give me even more horses?

also will i have to get premium grade gas once i start installing aftermarket parts?

thanks, any help is appreciated and welcome
Old 03-22-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
What I did on my Alero is, go to Ebay search for 2.4 Cavalier Intakes for the Z24 alot cheaper than the AEM and will give you the same HP which at the most is probably about 5hp. You shouldnt have to go to a higher octane gas unless you plan on nitrous or upgrading to forced induction turbo/supercharger in the case of forced induction you dont need a intake.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:20 PM   #3
Super White Alero

you won't get hp from CAI alone. Best your looking at is maybe 1-2 hp gain. AEM makes a WAI for the 2.4 which gives better throttle response and better gas mileage.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
the best dyno results have been from Induction Dynamics CAi and APOC CAI for the 2.4

these are the best out there and the only true CAI
Old 03-26-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
CocoaAlero

If you are going to change your intake, I'd go cold air.
Short rams are nice I guess, but I'd stick with the real deal.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:48 PM   #6
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
Quote:
Originally posted by CocoaAlero@Mar 26 2005, 06:15 PM
If you are going to change your intake, I'd go cold air.
Short rams are nice I guess, but I'd stick with the real deal.

Sure CAI's give more...but when you live where it rains and snows without notice, a Short Ram Intake is that much better...hardly no chance of gettin water in there, unlike the CAI
Old 04-01-2005, 06:47 PM   #7
CocoaAlero

If your fenderwell covers are in place you should be ok. I see the point though for the snow, but, you could get a by-pass valve though. We get pooploads of rain here in the south, so I try to take it easy when it's raining.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:57 PM   #8
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
i have never had problems with rain or snow with CAI. but i drive cqareful in those types of weathers. you just don't plow snow or cross a river with a CAI. you have to use your head.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:00 PM   #9
blackalero99
V.I.P. Member

blackalero99 is an unknown quantity at this point
cai vs. sri

sri is gonna pack more punch trust .

2 OF MY BUDDIES bone stock

1 cai
1sri

the sri made more difrence

COME GET SOME
blackalero99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:28 PM   #10
Final-Reality

I have an Induction Dynamics CAI system and I live in Windsor, where we got record snowfalls this past winter, and they pour salt on the roads to turn the snow and ice into slush. On top of these adverse conditions, the fender lining on my drivers side (where the air filter resides), is completely broken to poop, and it doesnt close properly on the front side, and there's a hole right where the actual air filter is. This is because my tires are too big for the car and they will sometimes rub the fenderliner, and since the air filter was already pressed tighly up against the fender liner (just the way it fits in there), when the tire rubs the fender liner it also hits the air filter.

Despite all this nonsense, I have never had a problem with the car stalling or stuttering or anything. I have a K&N cone filter with the system so perhaps it does a better job than a cheaper paper filter.

Unless you intend to, you know... drive through large bodies of water, like a lake or ocean, I would not worry about it.