Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 12-21-2005, 07:55 AM   #1
rogan19

i have a 2001 4dr 2.4L how do i know which AEM SHORT RAM INTAKE to order which will fit my car anyone got Part # ?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:26 AM   #2
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
a Cavalier Z24 short ram will work perfectly
Old 12-21-2005, 08:29 AM   #3
rogan19

i search the zz4 2.4 Right?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
rogan19

any install tips what about the mass air flow sensor?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
Quote:
Originally posted by rogan19+Dec 21 2005, 09:29 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rogan19 @ Dec 21 2005, 09:29 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>i search the zz4 2.4 Right?
[/b]

yes

<!--QuoteBegin-rogan19
@Dec 21 2005, 09:33 AM
any install tips what about the mass air flow sensor?
[/quote]

its pretty straight forward...just make sure you put the sensor back in(there should be a hole for it in the intake tube) and away ya go
Old 12-21-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Quote:
Originally posted by rogan19@Dec 21 2005, 07:33 AM
what about the mass air flow sensor?

There isn't one. The sensor in the tube is an air temp. and there should be a spot to put it into the new one. Just shove it in there, carefully.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:27 PM   #7
rodney
GX Member

rodney is an unknown quantity at this point
is the intake tubing on the AEM 3" or 2.75" in diameter?
rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 04:01 PM   #8
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
2.75"
Old 12-30-2005, 04:29 PM   #9
99alero_dude

I made my own intake out of frustration and didn't like ebaymotor's cheap ones. Instead of just removing the airfilter box, I took out everything leading up to the butterfly valve, and just ran a 28in black flexi-tube and put a cone air filter at the end. I found out i couldn't leave the sensor in the elbow unplugged, so for now i kind of just have that plugged into the elbow and the elbow tucked away above the radiator. Kinda ghetto but it has a beautiful growl past 3500-4000 rpm under moderate to hard accerlation.

I'll upload a pic in a few minutes.

I accidently didn't get where the tube connects to the engine :-/
You can see where i have the temp sensor left in the elbow... car went apepoop when i unplugged it...

[img=http://img492.imageshack.us/img492/5292/imag00023ae.jpg]

another angle
Old 12-30-2005, 10:29 PM   #10
bu01
GX Member

bu01 is an unknown quantity at this point
bu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:18 PM   #11
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
let me get this right, you didn't like the cheap ebay ones, so you made a ghetto one out of dryer vent? you would have been better off with an ebay one. would look a lot better bud.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:24 PM   #12
99alero_dude

cheap ebay ones didn't replace the two restrictive resonator boxes, after the rubber elbow. the flexi tube was $19.99 at autozone. i don't care if it looks like poop, if it works as good as a pretty looking one i'll go for it.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:26 PM   #13
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
Mine was a Ebay intake for the caby Z24. It worked fine, no problems with it.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:42 PM   #14
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
well it will work but not much more effecient than the stock box with the ebay intake.

but to each's own
Old 12-31-2005, 12:04 AM   #15
jlenko
GX Member

jlenko is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jlenko
If that engine is otherwise stock.... it's an improvement over the stock (restrictive) intake. It's probably the worst possible intake you could have... all that turbulence.. you want SOME turbulence in the intake to mix with the fuel, but not that much. That's rediculous.

As I said... on an otherwise stock engine... it's probably just fine. Until you get a full exhaust and start thinking about a larger TB or head work, it'll do the trick.
jlenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 06:09 AM   #16
Spy

Quote:
Originally posted by jlenko@Dec 31 2005, 05:04 AM
If that engine is otherwise stock.... it's an improvement over the stock (restrictive) intake. It's probably the worst possible intake you could have... all that turbulence.. you want SOME turbulence in the intake to mix with the fuel, but not that much. That's rediculous.

As I said... on an otherwise stock engine... it's probably just fine. Until you get a full exhaust and start thinking about a larger TB or head work, it'll do the trick.

why? this isn't a carbeurated motor... the fuel injectors do a damn fine job of mixing the fuel w/ the air... You're missing something here, definitely... you want smooth flow, and proper sizing to create velocity not turbulence...

yikes, what's going on over here? If you want turbulence go get a tornado and tell me about those wicked gains and gas mileage improvements.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:44 AM   #17
UnoWHO

Well on this topci but not what you guys are tlaking about but here a question.

Has anyone who has the Induction Dynamics intake replaced that black elbow that connects the intake to the Throttle Body? Seems like that elbow is restricting air like a female dog? anyone?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #18
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Quote:
Originally posted by Spy+Dec 31 2005, 05:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spy @ Dec 31 2005, 05:09 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jlenko@Dec 31 2005, 05:04 AM

why? this isn't a carbeurated motor... the fuel injectors do a damn fine job of mixing the fuel w/ the air... You're missing something here, definitely... you want smooth flow, and proper sizing to create velocity not turbulence...

yikes, what's going on over here? If you want turbulence go get a tornado and tell me about those wicked gains and gas mileage improvements.
[/b][/quote]

The injectors do not create turbulance, they just spray fuel. And yes you want some turbulance, but that usually has more to do with the head than the intake. Too much velocity and you get reduced performance in the form of running rich due to poor combustion. The air moves through the CC too fast and cannont fully burn.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #19
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
Robot arms are not good for intakes. And you paid $20 for it? for $5 more, you could have had a much nicer looking and more efficient intake (I only paid $25 for mine!)

Think about it dude. if you're gonna do something, do it right...and try to do it the first time.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #20
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Quote:
Originally posted by UnoWHO@Dec 31 2005, 10:44 AM
Well on this topci but not what you guys are tlaking about but here a question.

Has anyone who has the Induction Dynamics intake replaced that black elbow that connects the intake to the Throttle Body? Seems like that elbow is restricting air like a female dog? anyone?

actually no it does it. the volume of the area is the same as a 3" 90 deg elbow. and the inside is very smooth and not restrictive. it just gives more clearance for the j-body.

Induction dynamics does a lot R&D and flow tests. no worries, mate.