Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 03-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #1
freeze12
GL Member

freeze12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face

2001 2.4L-34,000 miles: I have a couple problems & need input...problem #1 sometimes I go to start the car & turn the ignition & nothing..probably ign. switch or starter solenoid? #2 when I accelerate there is a light rattling noise from the motor like I am using too low octane fuel ( which I am not because I tried premium & same noise.
Anyone else had any of these symptoms & a fix....Thanks!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:23 AM   #2
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

strtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to strtrydr Send a message via MSN to strtrydr Send a message via Yahoo to strtrydr
Your first problem could be what happened to me!

Can you hear your fuel pump prime? (Leave Driver Door open and turn key to ON)

The second problem is beyond me but somebody on here can probably help you.
strtrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
Menace
@Kutztown University PA

Menace is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Menace
#1 prob your starter
#2 could be a number of things

2007 Scion tC in driveway!!

Stuff for sale

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13919
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
bassboss
GX Member

bassboss is an unknown quantity at this point
My Opionion

#1 -check battery
#2 -check heat shield above cat. could be loose

Just trying to start simple.

let us know how it goes!
bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
freeze12
GL Member

Red face

Well I have an appt. with the dealer tomorrow morning as the car is still under warranty.
-I tend to think it is the starter also as sometimes when I turn the key to start the car there is no crank. Fuel pump is okay & new.
2nd problem almost sound like problems in the timing chain area: chain,or tensioner possible problems.

I still have the original Deco battery & the eye is not green,but I did a load test & it passed. Did not test up to new battery specs but it is 4 1/2 yrs old.
I have been using synthetic oil since 7,000 mi. Funny as the car has so low milage.
I hope the dealer just throws a starter in it as they get the cash for the labor if they replace it anyways!!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #6
Coupe

I highly doubt its your starter.
Im willing to bet your not letting your fuel pump prime.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
scsralero
GX Member

scsralero is an unknown quantity at this point
ok the starting problem is not in your fuel pump or in your starter and don't know if any one has noticed this but when it doesn't want to start that the security light is flashing? well here is the problem, it the ignition itself, gm put the pass lock 2 ignition in these cars and what a mistake that was! a friend of mine installs remote starters and alarms and he thinks that there is an easy fix to this problem. i haven't tryed it yet but i will soon. when you install a remote start in a newer gm you have to put a ignition bypass in and all that does is tricks the ignition into thinkig that the key is in. now the bypass unit is only around $20, so as soon as i get some time i'm going to try it. as soon as i do i will post the wiring directions and how to install it in the how to forum
scsralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds like this could be a big help for you. i'm thinking it's electronic as well.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:20 PM   #9
freeze12
GL Member

I know what You mean with the passlock. But My problem is that no security lights etc are on & usually when it does it it only does it on the first attemt to crank the engine. It will then crank on the second attempt.

---1st attempt: Turn key to start motor/engine does not crank..... release key & attempt a restart & the motor cranks over & starts.--- This is what has Me puzzled?
Old 03-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #10
UnoWHO

heres a dumb question but when you guys say let the fuel pump prime, do you mean before every time you start the car you should sit for a couple seconds and let it prime? im wondering because i just replaced my fuel pump on fri and wanna take every precation so that It doesnt go out again
Old 03-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #11
freeze12
GL Member

Smile

Well update: F'ING dealer they would not diagnose the no start condition due to aftermarket accessories...Remote start,HID's WAI etc. They are jackasses!
I called up the place that installed the remote starter when I bought the car in 2001 & they said that possibly the resistance changed for the passive system & they would adjust it if needed. I told them about the dealer problems & they said that the GM dealers got a memo from GM to decline any warranty work due to mods. The dealer will only perform work when mods are removed from the vehicle.
That is the last POS GM vehicle for Me as I am more & more leaning to buy a import even thought I hate imports
Oh yeh,get this...the place that I had the remote starter installed "D&R Auto Restylers" does some work for the dealer installing remotes in NEW CARS!
The installer said that GM products are a B**ch due to the POS passive system. They install for Mercedes,Lexus etc. so this installer is no sloach.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:21 PM   #12
Menace
@Kutztown University PA

Menace is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Menace
Dude, "EVERY" single car warranty is void when you start to eff with it.

Thats like putting on a turbo then going to the dealer when your trans dies.

2007 Scion tC in driveway!!

Stuff for sale

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13919
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:20 AM   #13
freeze12
GL Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Menace@Mar 8 2006, 09:21 PM
Dude, "EVERY" single car warranty is void when you start to eff with it.

Thats like putting on a turbo then going to the dealer when your trans dies.
Understandable,but HID's,STB,CAI,have no connection to the intermitent no start problem. Like I said: They said ALL aftermarket has to be removed before they diagnose.They worked on My car without problems prior to this BS.Also,like I said..The installer of My remote starter does installs for the dealer on new cars. So,what happens if the new car buyer has problems with their car? Does the dealer say:The remote Starter has to be removed prior to any work...I think not. Time to make some calls about this.

Next thing the dealer will tell Me is that I have to remove My aftermarket rims before any diagnostic is performed.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:13 AM   #14
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
my dealer told me that putting in an aftermarket H.U voided the entire car's warrenty. (bought it used from a chevy place) so i called the local olds, and they said "wtf are they talking about? it only voids the radio's warrenty, and the new one should have one already...."

so the new olds place got my business from then on... i'm never going back to the original...

end rant.... lol