Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 03-04-2004, 11:20 PM   #1
aleropimp1

hey i was thinking of building a box for my subs and i really wanted to make it out of oak so it will be extra strong. would it work or is oak a bad idea and if so tell me what i should use. thanxs
Old 03-05-2004, 12:05 AM   #2
aleropimp1

ok some one please reply
Old 03-05-2004, 12:12 AM   #3
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Um oak bad, MDF good lol
If you want a REALLY REALLY strong sub box 1 inch MDF is more than strong enuff, truth be known a braced 3/4 inch box is just as good, and as long as you cover the box and protect it , and keep it away from watter n stuff they will last forever :thumbsup:

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:32 AM   #4
99blackalero

MDF would be your best bet...thats why everyone uses it, think about it
Old 03-05-2004, 09:21 AM   #5
misslindseysue

MDF = cheaper and better. Go to Home Depot or wherever you'd buy wood and take a look at both of them. Oak will splinter, the only thing that'll ruin MDF is a lot of water.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:48 PM   #6
aleropimp1

will oak give it a differnt sound. becouse i wanted to go for looks and strenght and i hate that carpet stuff.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:09 PM   #7
misslindseysue

MDF just looks like pressboard, kinda. You can stain it if you want, or paint it. It paints nice and smooth. You can have a custom color matched box. I dunno about the sound from oak, but I know MDF gives a nice clean sound 'cause it's so dense and doesn't vibrate.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:03 PM   #8
aleropimp1

i think i will go with the mdf. but what if i screwed on a couple of thin pieces of oak around it will that work or should i not bother
Old 03-05-2004, 02:16 PM   #9
jonez

if you do that make sure thier is no gap in between the two. Could give you a very battle rattle.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:22 PM   #10
misslindseysue

If you want it to look like oak or whatever wood, get the stick on or iron on veneer, that won't rattle.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:07 AM   #11
aleropimp1

final question when building a box, do i have to make the front part were the sub bolts on to double thick. a friend told me i have to do this just wanted to double check
Old 03-06-2004, 01:36 AM   #12
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
No you dont, if this is just a single 10 box... im assuming that from your other post... then no, if you had a large volume box with long panels, it would be a good idea to say.. make the longest panels of say 1 inch insted of 3/4 mdf, or put in some bracing.. but with a single 10 box.. unported, not only will your box be fairly small, but 3/4 with solid mitered Joints will be more than strong enuff :thumbsup:

PS the only reason to double up on a panel is for asetic purposes or if you have a really really loud driver that moves a lot of air.. to keep it from flexing.

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 03:43 AM   #13
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
Quote:
PS the only reason to double up on a panel is for asetic purposes or if you have a really really loud driver that moves a lot of air.. to keep it from flexing.

yea, or 4 10's with 5/8" mdf slapped together the night before an SPL competition. didnt exactly work out as planned. lol

and i would not do an all oak box. you could sheet it in oak like you said but i would use a good bit of liquid nails between the 2 to avoid rattles.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:24 AM   #14
aleropimp1

ya i was just going to get like 1/4" of oat and glueit to it then once the glue dry's put a couple ofscrews in that baby and walla. Thanks for your help :thumbsup: