Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 03-21-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
CTS21

Well another problem has presented itself. My gas gauge is giving a false reading. It had 1/4 tank left then it bounced from that to zero to 1/2 tank then back down to 1/4 tank full. Has anyone else had this problem (what a stupid question)? If so how much to fix it? This car is really getting to me issed: :alcoholic:

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #2
keepitsimple

ya i have had that happen. it usually says empty then shoots up to full but that only happens in the winter for me, on really cold days. i think its the electrical and the cold.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
ddba12

Haha yeah when mine is like really empty it goes back to full; its like it fills itself up or somthing. And sometimes when im 3/4 full or 1/2 full it drops to empty. It doesn't matter in special weather conditions for me.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:52 AM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Could just be the float is bad

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:06 AM   #5
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

Whitetigerboi83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via MSN to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via Yahoo to Whitetigerboi83
I had this happen the other day when it was really warm out .. i had just filled the tank .. 12.66 gallons few min after the light came on well when i started the car the gauge went to half and stopped i was like what the F thn min later it was only at 3/4 tank 35 min later it fillany got to full.. but since i had filled the tank usually it goes all the way up to the needle stop but still didnt.. so i was like what now couple days later 136 miles put on its at half tank which dosent seem right but i guess
Old 03-22-2006, 02:00 AM   #6
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

strtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to strtrydr Send a message via MSN to strtrydr Send a message via Yahoo to strtrydr
...(Dealing with the erratic guage problem)...

I have had the same problem and it happened right before my fuel pump went out!!
I don't know if this was just coincidence or what but that is what happened for me.
I didn't have the problem once they replaced the fuel pump.
strtrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:22 AM   #7
alerlow

same problem except i ran out of gas twice wen the gauge read 1/4 tank i was so pissed i had to push that heavy ass car a block to the gas staion in the winter so now i never keep that low of gas in it
Old 03-22-2006, 03:26 AM   #8
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
I don't know if it applies to you, but if you have one of the newer models (2001+?) that uses the class-2 radio, if you remove the radio and don't install one of those chime module things there, it can screw up other things like the gas gauge. I have a friend with a 2000 Impala that has that exact problem. If he installs the original radio back in, then everything works right.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:48 AM   #9
auchevyalero2004

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff8928@Mar 22 2006, 06:26 PM
I don't know if it applies to you, but if you have one of the newer models (2001+?) that uses the class-2 radio, if you remove the radio and don't install one of those chime module things there, it can screw up other things like the gas gauge. I have a friend with a 2000 Impala that has that exact problem. If he installs the original radio back in, then everything works right.

nope, it's a common problem with aleros. Also, the reason it worked right after changing the fuel pump is because the sending unit includes the sensor for the gauge. The sensor going haywire and the fuel pump going out are not related in any way.

and ive never, ever heard of a radio affecting a gas gauge.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:17 AM   #10
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

battistoni21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to battistoni21
yeah this is sorta what seems to happen to me..... its either my pump or something is bad, or its my floater or my gauges..... hell, i will drive to school and it literally only takes me like 5 mins to get there, and i will notice a change in my gas like where its at before i park, but when i start it up again, it seems like its where it should be....
battistoni21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:19 AM   #11
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

battistoni21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to battistoni21
Does anybody know how much a new floater would cost and the estimated labor for it??? i don't know too much information on this....

also, if anyone could give me any good ideas on fuel pumps, that would be great
battistoni21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #12
CTS21

Quote:
Does anybody know how much a new floater would cost and the estimated labor for it??? blush.gif i don't know too much information on this....

also, if anyone could give me any good ideas on fuel pumps, that would be great biggrin.gif

I'm going to second this. Thanks
Old 03-22-2006, 02:34 PM   #13
Satsuriku
V.I.P. Punching Bag

Satsuriku is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by battistoni21@Mar 22 2006, 08:19 AM
Does anybody know how much a new floater would cost and the estimated labor for it??? i don't know too much information on this....

also, if anyone could give me any good ideas on fuel pumps, that would be great

x3

i would like to know to, hasent happened to me yet but i like to be prepared for it when it does happen
Satsuriku is offline   Reply With Quote