Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 05-11-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
Narsil

Hey, I bought my alero used a couple of months ago and when I turn on the A/C or just the vents, there is an unpleasent smell...I sprayed some sort of scent-be-gone stuff into the exterior part where the air gets sucked in and it went away for awhile but its back I figure I have to take apart the whole apparatus and clean it...how the hell do I do that?
Old 05-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
i know how to take the vents out of the dash, but to take the whole dash apart to check the vents? hmm....

if you want to check the vents, then check the "HOW TO" forum for my "leds in the vents" that'll show you how to remove them...

i honestly don't think you'll be able to take the entire apparatus apart to clean it all... i'm sure there is a better solution to the problem.

...maybe try a bleach+water solution and spray that in there. kill mold that might be growing? (obviously be careful not to get it on fabric)

i know some others will have better ideas.... lol...
Old 05-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
63starfire

To get the mesh off of the intake part (at the bottom of the windshield) I think you may have to remove the hood...not sure I'll look later (or you can) after that I don't know
Old 05-11-2006, 04:07 PM   #4
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

brsexton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brsexton
Yes this is very common on many cars. My car don't do it that bad, but my wifes car and my moms Taurus does. The trick is to be sure to turn the AC off leaving the FAN on high for about 3 mins before you turn the car off. I just hit the AC button when I know that I am close to where I am going. This helps dry the vents and the blower area of any water that may cause a moldy smell. You can also purchase spray that is made for car AC systems that will help with this smell.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #5
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Narsil@May 11 2006, 11:26 AM
Hey, I bought my alero used a couple of months ago and when I turn on the A/C or just the vents, there is an unpleasent smell...I sprayed some sort of scent-be-gone stuff into the exterior part where the air gets sucked in and it went away for awhile but its back I figure I have to take apart the whole apparatus and clean it...how the hell do I do that?
2 Things:

1. Go to Autozone and get the kit that kills all the mold and bacteria. It has all the instructions and its like 10 bux.

2. Before you do that, pop open the window washer fluid resevoir and see if it smells. When I got my car, mine smelled like someone threw up into it. Very unpleasant and it did it everytime I hit the wipers. Check that first, then get the fogger kit for the vents if that isn't it. If it is the resevoir just flush it out with fresh water.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #6
Narsil

Yes that helps alot! I'll check the washer fluid although it just smells anytime the vents are on so I'll pick up that kit you're talking about.
Thanks alot
~Narsil