Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 10-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
kottonmouth
GX Member

kottonmouth is on a distinguished road
read this-great quad article

some of you may have seen this already and some may have not, this is a article written by jeff koch from the ohc(olds historial center) i have it from a 89 hot-rod mag

when it was introduced in the waying days of the 80s, the quad 4 represented a massive step forward for gm. olds along with batten enginering and feuling engineering) developed the 2.3l iorn block, four valve dohc aluminum head power house for gms rapidly expanding fwd line up. concurrently, a 750hp twin-turbo de-stroked 2.0l version made big news in the longtrail areotech (hrm, march. 87'), a full bodied areodynamic wonder on a march/foyt chassis that a.j. foyt piloted to the 266 mph mark and the american closed-course speed record at fort stockton texas.

production quads debuted in the 88' model year, the year before when olds 307 made 180hp in ho trim, a four banger with half the displacement and the same hp and trq propped everyones eyes open with tooth picks, why infact ford needed a turbo straped to their 2.3 to make a little UNDER the same hp. in 89 the w-41 package was an option and gave calais and achievas 190hp.

in later 89 olds went racing with the quad, primarialy in imsa firehawk comps and SCCA showroom stockers, they had multiple class victories and gained manufacturer class championships in 89-91-92-and 93, the imsa prepped cars feautured non accsesory serp belts and other GMPP parts, and a lack of emissions gave these quads about 230hp. though it had great sucsess in terms of units made and racing victories, the quad was bashed by the motoring press for its rough and tumble additude. as a result virtualy any changes to the quad (ld9) were made in the name of improved emissions, less noise-vibration-and harshness (nvh) supression.
kottonmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
gotta love a quad
Old 10-27-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
Alero 2 Envy
GX Member

Alero 2 Envy is on a distinguished road
[quote=kottonmouth;311635]
production quads debuted in the 88' model year, the year before when olds 307 made 180hp in ho trim, a four banger with half the displacement and the same hp and trq propped everyones eyes open with tooth picks, why infact ford needed a turbo straped to their 2.3 to make a little UNDER the same hp. in 89 the w-41 package was an option and gave calais and achievas 190hp.
QUOTE]

hhmmm interesting, In 1986 the Ford SVO 2.3T made 200hp with 270tq and that was with an iron headed & block SOHC 8 valve engine.

I still love my Quad for everyday use with good MPG & driving manors, but my SVO is making a little over 300hp & 370tq with some bolt on's wich my Quad cant. Yeah sure bolt on a turbo and related fuel & ecu parts and you might have those power #'s on a Quad.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...to/XBox084.jpg

1985 SVO Turbo with all the goodies !
Alero 2 Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
comparing a turbo engine + supporting mods to an N/A LD9, lol

spy's runnin an LD9 at 425+ HP/TQ with some bolt ons. with a turbo anything's possible, up the boost
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alero 2 Envy View Post
hhmmm interesting, In 1986 the Ford SVO 2.3T made 200hp with 270tq and that was with an iron headed & block SOHC 8 valve engine.

Well, The SVO was an expensive car in it's day. And I'm sure they're comparing it to the standard 2.3 turbo which was 180HP.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
Alero 2 Envy
GX Member

Alero 2 Envy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
comparing a turbo engine + supporting mods to an N/A LD9, lol

spy's runnin an LD9 at 425+ HP/TQ with some bolt ons. with a turbo anything's possible, up the boost

I was comparing a factory car to factory car, only pointing out what I did with bolt ons. Yeah take away the turbo and you probally got a car making 140hp but from the fatory, but a stout forged piston & rod combo was ahead of its time then. Not sure if Spy's is fully built but pick up a Muscle mustang & fast ford or Hot rod magazine and look for John Hueber. He has a 80's mustang with a built 2.3T making 700+hp and turns 9sec 1/4 times and only getting faster. Shoot Joe Morgan does 8's in his 2.3T powered focus wagon and RPS does 7's in a 2.3T powered ranger so your right turn up the boost and it can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
Well, The SVO was an expensive car in it's day. And I'm sure they're comparing it to the standard 2.3 turbo which was 180HP.

True, too expensive which is why they were canned only after 3years to only come back in the form of a T-bird in 1987-1988 with 180hp & 240tq.

1985 SVO Turbo with all the goodies !

Last edited by Alero 2 Envy : 10-27-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Alero 2 Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
kottonmouth
GX Member

kottonmouth is on a distinguished road
dunno....found this article on hrm and thought it looked good, dont realy have any knowlege of turbo fords other wise id of dismised this article as a janky one
kottonmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #8
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
my grandma and grandpa bought an '89 calais with a quad 4 and my grandma (who knows nothing of how a car works) still refers to that car as her "little roadster".

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote