Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Oil Breather

Where could I put a breather, I have the spots I have questions about labeled 1-4 I attached the picture... help please :-)

For 1 and 2 those are my main questions, and what are the two for?

and the Oil cap and pcv valve I'm not sure about either, I saw someone put an Oil Breather on the Oil cap, but people said it reversed the pressure, but when someone else put a breather on the pcv valve, which I know the p means positive. Someone said puting a breather on that made it a negitive ventilation flow.

I just have 2 breathers laying around that I got for free. My friend bought for his Turbo Eclipse GSX before his crank walked out on him lol.

btw my engine painting and a showoff look is only half done kthnx, dont make fun of me

Last edited by xXManwhoreXx : 05-23-2008 at 07:13 PM.
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Not worth it in the Alero, sell them on eBay

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
:-/ would it cause problems for lower horsepower?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
You have no idea what you're doing. Do you know why you want to add this "breather"? Go throw them out.

And you circled #2 as the plug wires? What?
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

uhh i was circling the tube underneath it.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
thats sick bro get a smurf blue breather!!!!!!1!1

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
Alon Alero
GL Member

Alon Alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alon Alero Send a message via MSN to Alon Alero
What is it really ment for? and why isn't it worth using with the 3400?
Old 03-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #8
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

That's what I was wondering! I mean I figure its the same as a CAI or any other aftermarket air circulator. It keeps the oil cooler and gives more free flowing air. Or at least I thought....

And your right, I come to this site because I don't know what I'm doing, I figured there would be people nice enough to help me as they have done in the past.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
this is all things i've heard secondhand, but i've been told that they really don't do too much and are basicly useless on an otherwise un-modified engine. The 3400 is only 170 hp and adding an oil breather isn't really gonna make it into something special. if you are insisting on doing it, do it on the oil cap because thats no vaccume. the other tubes are vaccumes and it will make them ineffective.

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMahanXcorEXx View Post
And your right, I come to this site because I don't know what I'm doing, I figured there would be people nice enough to help me as they have done in the past.
Sorry, here's the nice person response. It doesn't do shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMahanXcorEXx View Post
I mean I figure its the same as a CAI or any other aftermarket air circulator. It keeps the oil cooler and gives more free flowing air.
No, it doesnt. Why would you want to provide free flowing air in your oil system?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
If you are going to bypass the stock PCV system, you want to put it on a vacuum source (pump). The running engine causes a lot of pressure in the crankcase. Putting vacuum on the crankcase frees up horsepower and helps the rings seal.

I would put an oil seperator inline with the stock PCV system to keep the contaminants out of the intake charge and keep the vacuum source on your crankcase. Breathers are going to cause more problems when you have no vacuum source, and rely on the pressure to escape through the breather.
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #12
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
i'm assuming (also don't know what exactly whats it for, or does) that as with MANY parts, our engine isn't a high end performance machine, therefore, its useless.

now if this was "koenigseggmod.com" then maybe we could make suggestions as to what type you'd want to use.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #13
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
It's honestly not going to do anything for you. The PCV system is there, as WhiteV6 mentioned, to vent the crankcase pressure into the intake tract. With that venting pressure comes a tiny amount oil and sludge that also vents into the intake tract. People put breathers on the PCV hole to allow the crankcase to vent, but keep the oil and sludge out of the intake tract. The thing is, if there's excessive pressure, a small amount of oil can actually spray out of the breather filter onto the engine or components. The ideal setup would not be a breather, but an oil catch can between the PCV hole and the intake tube, that way it allows the crankcase to vent, keeps the oil and sludge out of the intake, and keeps the engine clean. You just empty the catch can every time you change your oil.

On a stock or lightly modified engine, it's not going to do a thing, good or bad. When you have a highly modified engine running high compression or boost, then you want to keep the intake air as clean as possible, and this is when you'll want to use a catch can.

Hope that helps you decide.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #14
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
You are wrong on this not making any difference on a stock motor. Every single motor will benefit from a vacuum pump setup with catch can. Every single motor will benefit from the catch can in the stock PCV system.

Running a breather without the PCV setup hurts every single motor. Excessive pressure exists at idle when you are talking about performance and oil ring sealing performance.

I will be testing the prototype setup I have going and get some sort of numbers to back up my words. I already have experience on the 3.4 DOHC motor and its benefits from the catchcan.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #15
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Yes, I agree, no matter what engine it's good to keep the sludge and crap out of the intake, but as far as performance, you'e not going to see any increase in power or torque.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #16
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

Maybe not...it would be hard to do a solid before and after considering its the continuous presence of oil in the intake charge that degrades the flow and spark plug performance. Comparing no PCV with breathers though, yes, there will be a difference. Its noticable on the 3.4 DOHC when you have breathers only.

Add a vacuum pump instead of the PCV system and you will also certainly notice a hp increase because there is less resistance on the piston during the combustion event.

For the money, you cannot go wrong with the filter in line of the stock PCV, even if you cannot notice it. Think of the long term. If your EGR system works, you can guess how oil and exhaust gases mix inside your intake manifold and the back of your intake valve.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #17
Alon Alero
GL Member

Alon Alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alon Alero Send a message via MSN to Alon Alero
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteV6 View Post
Its noticable on the 3.4 DOHC when you have breathers only.

Hmm, isn't the 3.4 OHV?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #18
[ion] C2
636 whp

Yessir.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #19
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alon Alero View Post
Hmm, isn't the 3.4 OHV?
Your sig is funny as hell. LOL I've seen it before but everytime I see it I giggle my ass off. Not to get off subject or anything....I like dodgeball! Really in response to the purpose of this thread I wouldn't bother putting that on your car. I'm sure if GM thought that it was going to have a large benefit they would have added to the car. If performance is what you are after then I would suggest adding a spoiler, flame stickers, and a body kit because we all know that you can get 300 hp from that . LMAO!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #20
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I have one in the Delta with the 350. I replaced the OE style breather that goes from the valve cover to the air cleaner. The other Valve cover has the PCV valve on it. These filters are also not emission legal and the car will not pass a visual inspection with this done.

The way it's set up on the 3400, the PCV valve is the only one that is there, there is no breather on the other valve cover.

Even if you where to do this, it doesn't increase horsepower. You have to spend a little bit more that $15 to increase HP on any car

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote