Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #21
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
you'd be better off buying a boosted car and sticking cash into it. unless one has access to an experienced and reputable build/tune shop, it's nearly impossible to keep an affordable budget and create a setup that will perform consistantly. tuning is a huge issue as the average person knows no where near what is needed to make all the parts they just welded up and bolted on work together. not to mention the added hassle of downtime and expenses along the way... not something i'd undertake ulness i had a genuine sponsor and devoted my time and interest to the tuning scene. realistically...

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:01 PM   #22
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
I've never been a fan of Garrett turbos myself but that would be a great setup. If you went with the GT3582R i don't know how good it would do, that turbo setup is more based on Larger engines. I mean it would work for a 3.4 but I don't know how much you would have to mod to even get the engine to hold compression.

Who all has a 3.4l Turbo?

I have a 2 fake bov's and a turbo badge
Old 03-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #23
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMahanXcorEXx View Post
I've never been a fan of Garrett turbos myself but that would be a great setup. If you went with the GT3582R i don't know how good it would do, that turbo setup is more based on Larger engines. I mean it would work for a 3.4 but I don't know how much you would have to mod to even get the engine to hold compression.

Who all has a 3.4l Turbo?

I have a 2 fake bov's and a turbo badge
Garrett turbos are among the best there is.

A lot of Evos use GT35's on their 2.0L 4 cylinder engines to make big power. They're made to push enough air for around 600hp no matter what size engine it's on. I think that GT35 would be just perfect for a 3.4L 6 cylinder.

Modding the engine to hold compression? What do you mean?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #24
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
When we took my friends spare engine to the local tuning shop they hooked a bunch of shit up to it and said he had to redo all the seals to hold the turbos compression (18psi). I never said Garrets were bad, I just don't like them. and evo's without the turbo have twice as much HP as an 3.4 alero.

Feel free to correct me cause I'm probablly wrong but.. I don't think the engines displacement matters as much as the horsepower it produces when looking at a turbo for it right?

btw I'm throwing together a CAI today :-)
Old 03-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #25
Spilner521
Boost Guru

You're thinking of boost. You don't have to do anything to the engine to make it hold boost. You just need the proper fuel mods to add enough extra fuel. When you get into pushing higher boost and making more power you'll need to forged pistons and rods, stronger head studs, and possibly a different head gasket.

As for choosing a turbo, you definitely need to look at engine displacement as well as how much air it'll flow. I'll use the Evo again as an example. It doesn't matter how much power it has bone stock, a GT35 will flow the same amount of air whether it's on a 2.0L Evo or 3.4L Alero, and each can make 500-600hp with it. The difference is, on the Evo there will be a lot of lag at lower rpms and then the boost will hit hard and make big power on the top end. The Alero, with 2 more cylinders and 1.4L more of displacement, will spool the turbo much faster and make more power earlier in the rev range, yet still make the big power on the top end, which is why for a daily driven car, a GT35 would be much better suited to a 3.4L V6 than a 2.0L four. A lot of the huge turbo/small engine cars are mainly used for drag racing where the engine will be at high rpms for the entire run and lag won't be an issue.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 03-21-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #26
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't (see below). Don't ever let anyone tell you that you're going to spend a bazillion dollars.

If you do things right, and shop patiently, you can amass all the stuff you need to do the turbo system you want.

BlackJack: I'm going to build a high powered turbo system for my alero
EarlyAleromodMembers: you can't
BlackJack: turbo system is done! I'm going to swap in a 4t65
N-bodyCommunity: you can't
BlackJack: 4t65 swap is done! Next season, twin turbo....
N-bodyCommunity: ??

Lets see what happens.

Either way, if you're determined enough, you can do it, no matter what your budget is. Just don't get too anxious and cut corners.

And I think Spilner is right according to the compressor maps, if you get the right AR, those turbos would be perfect for a single-bank application on a V6.

However, I'm going sequential where a small turbo on the front bank is going to feed a larger turbo on the rear bank, that way you get rapid spool and it doesn't fall on it's face in the upper band.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #27
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
hell yes..

if you see a project at hand, and -you- think it can be done- dont let anyone tell you otherwise, as blackjack said.. if you're patient with it, and "dont cut corners".. you could end up with one serious setup.. or one serious problem.. but either way, YOU will find out if its possible, cause lets face it.. not everything is possible. I want a button on my dash, in fact, make it the hazard switch.. that when pressed, will transform my car into a giant transformers wanna-be on steroids, with giant missle launchers and chain guns with infinite ammo, and the ability to fly. but that aint happenin.

git er' done and make it happen! and dont blow anything up

Last edited by Midgear : 03-21-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #28
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgear View Post
I want a button on my dash, in fact, make it the hazard switch.. that when pressed, will transform my car into a giant transformers wanna-be on steroids, with giant missle launchers and chain guns with infinite ammo, and the ability to fly. but that aint happenin.

Bring it over, I got some metal and a welding machine, not to mention a weapons depot.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #29
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
However, I'm going sequential where a small turbo on the front bank is going to feed a larger turbo on the rear bank, that way you get rapid spool and it doesn't fall on it's face in the upper band.
What kind of power are you looking for out of a twin setup? The 3400 doesn't rev incredibly high so you may not even need a sequential setup. Even if you were to raise the redline, a lot of the 4 cylinder engines out there using a GT2860 turbo do so just fine with a 7500-8000 rpm red line.

All this talk about twin turbos makes me want to go get another Alero with the V6
Old 03-21-2008, 11:58 PM   #30
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
What kind of power are you looking for out of a twin setup? The 3400 doesn't rev incredibly high so you may not even need a sequential setup. Even if you were to raise the redline, a lot of the 4 cylinder engines out there using a GT2860 turbo do so just fine with a 7500-8000 rpm red line.

All this talk about twin turbos makes me want to go get another Alero with the V6

It's not that I'm looking for more HP. I'm looking for a wider band of HP. While the T70 I have makes monster power, it takes a little bit to spool, at which time instead of destroying them off the line, I'm playing catch-up (and pass). If I run the same T70 with a smaller one to help spool it, then I can hit faster overall times.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:12 AM   #31
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
i really like that idea BJ, that should be a crazy setup.. not that this one isnt
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #32
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't (see below). Don't ever let anyone tell you that you're going to spend a bazillion dollars.

If you do things right, and shop patiently, you can amass all the stuff you need to do the turbo system you want.

BlackJack: I'm going to build a high powered turbo system for my alero
EarlyAleromodMembers: you can't
BlackJack: turbo system is done! I'm going to swap in a 4t65
N-bodyCommunity: you can't
BlackJack: 4t65 swap is done! Next season, twin turbo....
N-bodyCommunity: ??

Lets see what happens.

Either way, if you're determined enough, you can do it, no matter what your budget is. Just don't get too anxious and cut corners.

And I think Spilner is right according to the compressor maps, if you get the right AR, those turbos would be perfect for a single-bank application on a V6.

i just wont to point out that not everybody doubted you......
Old 03-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #33
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
It's not that I'm looking for more HP. I'm looking for a wider band of HP. While the T70 I have makes monster power, it takes a little bit to spool, at which time instead of destroying them off the line, I'm playing catch-up (and pass). If I run the same T70 with a smaller one to help spool it, then I can hit faster overall times.
You wouldn't even need one small and one large. Not that it can't be done, but it would be a complicated setup when it would be easier to swap the large turbo for two small ones and just about eliminate your spool up time, yet still have the big top end power.

Obviously you're not looking to do this next week, so the exact plans are far from being set, but I'm just throwing ideas out there
Old 03-24-2008, 07:45 AM   #34
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
i just wont to point out that not everybody doubted you......
I know....jeez that was a long time ago it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
Obviously you're not looking to do this next week, so the exact plans are far from being set, but I'm just throwing ideas out there

No, it definitely won't be next week, more like next year after I get back from the next round in the sand-box. That will give me a year to think about how I want to do this, or even if. Who knows, I might come back and buy a new camaro if those cars turn out alright.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #35
sorrowfulkiller
GX Member

sorrowfulkiller is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via MSN to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via Yahoo to sorrowfulkiller
you could also go with like a wrx or evo turbos either td04-13g(wrx) or the larger td05-16g(evo)

The 13g can handle about 300 hp at roughly 20 psi
and the 16g I've heard can handle damn close to 400 at 25-27 psi

the 13g would be best for street since you would be powering it with 3 cylinders
16g more for the occasional race or drag

or you can go with a td04-15G which is the same exhaust side as the 13g but a larger intake side compressor... Which is what I'm doing with my wrx. They retain 13g spool and lag time which on the wrx anyway is almost nonexistant while being able to support about 350-375 hp

You would have to fit flanges onto the manifold, get new manifolds and hook up oil and coolant lines. Just set it up like they do on rb26 dett skyline r34 engines... it would probably fit okay