Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
Unhappy I Think I might need Brakes

Well, having brake problems in general. Since I got my car over a year ago the rear discs looked like hell but my dad said they were good enough and that the fronts do majority of the stopping. Well, now my fronts are acting up. They're been warped since last summer but for the last month when I brake, there's a very loud "tick tick tick" that comes from my front driver side brake. When i let off the brake pedal it goes away so I know its the brakes and not a wheel bearing. Also, last week I needed to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident with this girl who pulled out in front of me and I felt like the car wasn't slowing down like it should...there was a steady deceleration but shouldn't the ABS came on and the tires slide instead of the feeling of a regualr braking pattern? It was scary because it felt like they weren't working or something. anyway, here's the condition of my rotors. I'm pretty sure that the fronts can be turned but i'm not even sure if the front pads are needing replacement yet. Any ideas how to tell? and obviously the rears are shot and I've known that.

here's some pictures:

rear driver side

rear passenger

front driver (front passenger about the same)

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:21 AM   #2
mrmike
GL Member

mrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
If the rotors are warped, they can't be turned. My brakes were in the exact same condition and made the same noise. I replaced mine with those R1 concept rotors, and it made a HUGE difference, athough regular brakes would have been just as good. You can get the rotors and a full set of pads for a decent price, and considering that your brakes are the most important safety device on your car, you should get them fixed right away.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
agreed. don't bother getting them "turned". just spend the money and have them fixed right. (unless your planning on selling soon...)
Old 04-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Seaaan
GX Member

Seaaan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Seaaan
damn, that looks terrible...

to check your pads take the wheel/tire off

turn the steering wheel so the caliper is closer to you

then look from above to check how much of the pads are left
Seaaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
AJules
GLS member

AJules is on a distinguished road
your pads might actually still be good

before replacing them, I'd get them checked

your rotors... on the other hand, need to be replaced
mine are in about that condition now too and they're pretty bad
AJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Just by the look of the rear rotors, I think the pads are shot. Maybe in the front they are still good, but I would not take the chance to buy new rotors and leave the old pads that were used on warped rotor, thats looking for trouble.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
super white alero1
Trying to get it together

super white alero1 is on a distinguished road
Brake pads aren't bad, from the look of the rear disc, but i could venture to guess you got alot of rust on the pads. Anyways its a good idea to change the pads to match up with new discs. Its only about $39.99 more and you won't have to do the job over.
super white alero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
I want to redo my brakes with new pads and rotors. Now, I have the standard stockers in now, and have heard all sorts of good and bad about drilled and/or slotted brakes. I have seen one with the end of the slots straight, or at an angle. I have also heard of different types of pads. Candian Tire (those of you in Canada will know what I am talking about) have a set of rotors they claim gives you greater braking and tells you when you need to replace the rotors. They look like this:

What would be the best rotor / pad combo to go with? I would like to get decent wear out of them. Any ideas will be appreciatted.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
Seaaan
GX Member

Seaaan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Seaaan
Personally I went with slotted rotors (I don't trust cheap drilled/slotted rotors) & hawk hps pads.. sure there is a lot of brake dust, but that's good for your rotors...
Seaaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Just get some R1 concept, for 250 bucks, for all four disk + pads, you wont have better quality/price ratio. I dont even have brake dust AT ALL (Ive went with the semi-metallic pads, because ceramic pads would have pissed me off with the squeaking sound.)
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
I HAVE BEEN WONDERING ABOUT THOSE Can Tire Rotors!

I've been trying to find someone that has installed them to see how they find them. If someone on here has installed them, Wanna let me know?

In concept, they seem to be great. And Monroe are known for decent Braking gear.
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #12
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

so I went to Murray's today and bought some new rear brakes..... New raybestos rotors and the upgraded pads. Pretty much same to the origional equipment...nothing fancy but it'll last me for the time that I own this car. I'm going to check the fronts out when I do the backs and see if I need to get some pads and have the rotors turned. Then I'll be good to go. BTW, what are some good, relatively unexpensive touring tires?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #13
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
If the rotors are warped, they can't be turned. My brakes were in the exact same condition and made the same noise. I replaced mine with those R1 concept rotors, and it made a HUGE difference, athough regular brakes would have been just as good. You can get the rotors and a full set of pads for a decent price, and considering that your brakes are the most important safety device on your car, you should get them fixed right away.

We're good friends with a guy who owns a brake shop and he says that as long as rotors aren't severely warped and are vented, they can be successfully turned and that it is foolish to throw away your money on new rotors if the ones you have will be good for at least 1 more set of pads.