Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 03-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
Guitar_B
GX Member

Guitar_B is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Washing Your Engine!!!

This has puzzled me for a loooong time... Cant you just Wash an engine? Do you have to avoid Certain Areas? Can you use soap? Special Soap? SoS Pads? Can I use a pressure Sprayer... Should the engine be Running? Should I let the Engine Cool Down?
Guitar_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Simple green... just use a hose... engine degreaser is awesome.

The engine should be cooled down when you do it. On or off is not important, I do mine when it's off and cooled though. There's nothing you're really going to damage, and there's far less of a chance of electrical problems if you do it with the engine off.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
NickAlero2000
GLS member

NickAlero2000 is on a distinguished road
I've been wanting to ask this for a long time, but I didn't want to be the first one.
Someone answer please!!!
NickAlero2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
every time I take my car to the car wash (this happens anywhere from 1 - 10 times a month), the first thing I do is pop the hood, give the entire car a presoak, lift the hood up, spray the green shit (the engine cleaner / degreaser / wheel & tire cleaner) all over the engine bay.. ALL over.

I cover everything, altenator, heat shields, reservoirs, every square inch is doused in the green shit, then I shoot the tires, wheels, take the scrub brush and scrub the wheels and tires, scrub the entire car if it's really filthy, and then rinse the entire thing off at FULL pressure, even under the hood.

I don't point the sprayer point blank at the parts under the hood, I hold it about 2 - 4 feet away from the engine and parts and just spray till its all clean and free of cleaner / bubbles, this is all done while the engine is running.

Rinse 'er off.. shut the hood, pop the hose in the holder, jump in the car, give 'er a few thousand RPM's, put 'er in drive, and go air dry it at 70 mile an hour down the highway lol

not a single problem.

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
Vic28
GL Member

Vic28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Vic28
ROFL ION just did.... guess the same time post would explain that
Anywayz I would try to avoid the Ignition Module trying not to spray too much water in that area.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
You know what we need to start have some engine shots up on here...I've cleaned my engine once in three years on a 9 yr old car and it still looks pretty close to when it was first bought. When I washed it I pressure washed mine with it on and I had no problems. To each his own I accept know responsibility if your shit shuts off though..LOL
Old 03-10-2009, 02:24 AM   #7
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
Washing an engine used to be trouble when cars came with points in the distributor, and the distributor maybe had a crack or a shoddy seal. Nowadays, some cars don't even have what would be called a distributor, but rather a sensor to tell the coil packs when to fire. I hose down my Alero engine all the time, and never had a problem.

NOW....if you have a WAI, and hose it down while the engine is running, you could run into to trouble.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:16 AM   #8
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
Washing an engine used to be trouble when cars came with points in the distributor, and the distributor maybe had a crack or a shoddy seal. Nowadays, some cars don't even have what would be called a distributor, but rather a sensor to tell the coil packs when to fire. I hose down my Alero engine all the time, and never had a problem.

NOW....if you have a WAI, and hose it down while the engine is running, you could run into to trouble.

dont be a kitten. get a bypass valve
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post

Yeah, the engine in my Camaro was a real PITA to keep clean.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #10
Beholder88
GL Member

Beholder88 is on a distinguished road
For some reason, hosing the engine down doesn't sit well with me. I usually just take a few rags and do it the old fashioned way. Since I'm in the middle of my LIMG at the moment, I'm taking the time to clean everything I take off by hand. Makes it so much easier.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad99Olds View Post
dont be a kitten. get a bypass valve
Honestly. Think about what you just said. WTF would an AEM Bypass Valve do against a hose shooting water into the intake while the car is running. The bypass valve functions by when the filter end of the pipe is SUBMERGED, and the vacuum in the pipe is too great, the valve opens. A stream of water is not going to cause that kind of situation.

If you have a WAI, put a bag over it. CAI, doesn't matter.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #12
Guitar_B
GX Member

Guitar_B is on a distinguished road
So a WAI and CAI is a Performance Chip?
Guitar_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Can Guitar be the new person to be made fun of instead of me? Lol jp.

WAI=warm air intake
CAI=cold air intake

Each with different piping with an air filter. WAI is closer to the engine, CAI is farther hence the designation of warm or cold.

Finally got to help with something besides a medical question lol.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #14
[ion] C2
636 whp

oh mai
Old 03-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar_B View Post
So a WAI and CAI is a Performance Chip?

wait....what? are u retarded or something?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
wait....what? are u retarded or something?

Play nice. I asked the same question when I first got here.

Engine Brite+hose=shiny engine.