Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Rocker Tuning?

well, i did my LIMG change, and i checked everything out (yes gr1m, i checked the gas) and i have no compression on like five cylinders... when i put the front rockers on, i see them depress slightly, and i think two depress all the way down, is there a way to tune them to no depress so i dont lose compression?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
You cannot have them all shut at the same time. The cam is holding them open. I may be misunderstanding your question though. Elaborate for me a bit.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
You cannot have them all shut at the same time. The cam is holding them open. I may be misunderstanding your question though. Elaborate for me a bit.

k, when i tighten ALL of them they ALL are open slightly, and i think the second one is all the way down, and the last one is all the way down..... i dont get this
Old 03-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
The pushrod is pushing them open because the cam is not on the base of the lobe. This is the cams job. If you don't have compression, you may have mixed up the pushrod order on 5 cylinders. If the cam is broken, it wont open the valves and you have big problems.
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
buickboy71
GX Member

buickboy71 is on a distinguished road
Limg

Did you get the pushrods out of order?
buickboy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteV6 View Post
The pushrod is pushing them open because the cam is not on the base of the lobe. This is the cams job. If you don't have compression, you may have mixed up the pushrod order on 5 cylinders. If the cam is broken, it wont open the valves and you have big problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickboy71 View Post
Did you get the pushrods out of order?

Pushrods, are in order on the front, but idk about the back, someone told me it was a non interference motor, so the pistons would not hit the valves, it just seems like, there is one REALLY depressed valve, and the rest are held open a tiny bit, he told me to get the car at TDC, and the rest would be an the haynes manual, like, how to make the rockers sit properly on the valves, its a 99 if that helpes
Old 03-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Bump, i need this people! help me out!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Nate you should probably pull all the push rods out and measure them, figure out which ones are intake and which ones are exhaust. Intake is 5.746" Exhaust is 6.074". I would also check for collapsed lifters.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
if one of the rockers depressed ALOT then you probably need one of the longer pushrods there so it doesnt depress as much, i told you to keep the rods in order!

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m View Post
if one of the rockers depressed ALOT then you probably need one of the longer pushrods there so it doesnt depress as much, i told you to keep the rods in order!

i kept them in order!!!!! jeez, how do i go about chaging out all my lifters.... this might be my answer.... (even though the freaking car ran!!)

anyone have the pushrod order for the side closest to the firewall and the side closest to the front of the car? i thought it went

E I E I I E for the side closent to the firewall and

E I I E I E for the side closest to the front of the car? wouldnt a 'Collapsed" lifter make the valve not rise at all? my problem is that it is making my valves stay open slightly(idk about the back, i hate the frigging coil pack lower bolts.....)
Old 03-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
I hope you dont have them out of order cause this engine is definitely an interference motor. I have pics of bent valves and indented pistons from by broken timing set to prove it.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #12
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
I hope you dont have them out of order cause this engine is definitely an interference motor. I have pics of bent valves and indented pistons from by broken timing set to prove it.

can you confirm the pushrod order please?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #13
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
Pushrod order is correct.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #14
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteV6 View Post
Pushrod order is correct.

thanx, so now what?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #15
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

have someone crank it over while you watch the rockers on the front bank. To have 5 cylinders with no compression is difficult to achieve without breaking the cam.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #16
fielder87
GX Member

fielder87 is on a distinguished road
ok so i did my LIMG,and never put in TDC,although i read somehting about doing it b/f...well i have had no problems with it since, and my baby has her power back..also if your pushrods were not in correct order(mixed exaust n intake), you would probley need valve job and you would hear it..which mabey your TDC is screwing you up with compression?have you put piston 5 at TDC,and tried torquing it down again?
fielder87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:09 AM   #17
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Here is some more info from Nate: I just completed a LIMG (lower intake manifold gasket) chage on my 99 olds alero coupe, the car ran nicely before the change, now the car sounds like it has no compression on 5 cylinders, it never started, just hucked and farted like it wanted to, and keeps making loud pops out of the intake, followed by exhaust smoke, and normal exhaust smell, the pushrods are in the correct orders, and the gasket is in correctly, now, when i put the rockers on, they depress the valves slightly, and 2 depress all the way down, why is this? (this is on one side btw) but the opposite side does the same thing, two depress all the way down, and the rest depress slightly, why is this and what do i do to correct it?

Probably should have said all of this over here Nate.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #18
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
Here is some more info from Nate: I just completed a LIMG (lower intake manifold gasket) chage on my 99 olds alero coupe, the car ran nicely before the change, now the car sounds like it has no compression on 5 cylinders, it never started, just hucked and farted like it wanted to, and keeps making loud pops out of the intake, followed by exhaust smoke, and normal exhaust smell, the pushrods are in the correct orders, and the gasket is in correctly, now, when i put the rockers on, they depress the valves slightly, and 2 depress all the way down, why is this? (this is on one side btw) but the opposite side does the same thing, two depress all the way down, and the rest depress slightly, why is this and what do i do to correct it?

Probably should have said all of this over here Nate.

Lol, yahoo answers?

well there is the info! help PLEEEEZE!! (the crank i think is good btw, my friend said the rocks were moving, this was through the oil filler hole btw)
Old 03-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #19
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

bump for still needing the answers
Old 03-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #20
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

"and 2 depress all the way down, why is this? (this is on one side btw) but the opposite side does the same thing, two depress all the way down"

Ok, now we got something. You can't have both banks opening 2 valves all the way. You mixed up the pushrods and put shorts where longs go and longs where shorts go.