Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 05-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
Bmorezcmunee
GX Member

Bmorezcmunee is on a distinguished road
newb question. sway bar? strut tower bar?

from what ive read the sway bar goes under the car and the strut tower bar goes on the top of the struts.

now do all Alero's have a sway bar? and if not does the combination of a sway bar and strut tower bar improve handling that much?
Bmorezcmunee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
mfuller

You have sorta a basic understanding of it.
Sway bars (actually, anti-sway bars) are basically large spring steel bars which connect the moving parts of the suspension on opposite sides of the car, and anchor to the frame/subframe. They help limit body roll when cornering and add stability.
Strut tower bars connect the tops of the strut tower on opposite sides of the car. They may (or may not) anchor to other points on the body. They Aren't meant to do what anti-sway bars do, although some people may tell you differently. They mainly serve to help stiffen up the unibody, which can enhance the responsiveness of the suspension and steering systems. Their effectiveness can vary greatly from one car to another. The Alero doesn't suffer from a huge amount of unibody flex, but they do help a smidge.

The Alero has both front and rear anti-sway bars.
I highly recommend both anti-sway bars and strut tower braces (along with stiffer springs/dampers and sticky tires) to anyone looking to maximize handling and cornering potential on these cars.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Bmorezcmunee
GX Member

oh ok thanks mfuller

i was reading up on it and i thought i had buy both! then i read how you do it on autozone.com and you have to drop the frame! i was like @#$%........expletives and such. but i guess i just go with my planned setup of AGX struts and Eibach springs and get the strut tower bars. then eventually the corvette brake upgrade....
Old 05-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
mfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmorezcmunee View Post
oh ok thanks mfuller

i was reading up on it and i thought i had buy both! then i read how you do it on autozone.com and you have to drop the frame! i was like @#$%........expletives and such. but i guess i just go with my planned setup of AGX struts and Eibach springs and get the strut tower bars. then eventually the corvette brake upgrade....

You don't have to do everything at once (most people can't afford to do everything whole-hog)......but upgrading the anti-sway bars will be a much more noticeable difference. A lot of people start out with just a rear anti-sway bar upgrade, and then do the front later.....and some people don't bother upgrading the front bar at all. Personally, I think doing both makes the car feel more balanced - they were designed to be used together. Think of it as having summer tires up front and all seasons out back - sure, it'll work, but not as well as it could.
The front anti-sway bar is a pain.....the front subframe must be lowered. I am lazy so I paid a shop with a lift to do it.....but a few brave souls have done it in their garage with a jack and stands.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Bmorezcmunee
GX Member

yeah im sure ill be taking the shop route too.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
but a few brave souls have done it in their garage with a jack and stands.

That sounds like the worst thing ever! Oh man what a difficult thing.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
It wasn't horrible. Just a little involved in lowering the rear of the crossmember. Nothing was terribly difficult though.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
It wasn't horrible. Just a little involved in lowering the rear of the crossmember. Nothing was terribly difficult though.

it wasn't really that bad....
Old 05-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
lord2heart
GL Member

lord2heart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
The Alero has both front and rear anti-sway bars.

really? as stock?
lord2heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
yes, but the aftermarket ones are thicker usually installed with poly bushing making them better overall for handling and response....
Old 05-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #11
lord2heart
GL Member

lord2heart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
ooo, didnt know that
lord2heart is offline   Reply With Quote