Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 06-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
knuckleballer32
GX Member

knuckleballer32 is on a distinguished road
Fog Light Problem

I was wondering if any of you guys or girls have ever had a problem with the fog light bulbs not lasting very long. I replaced my front left fog light bulb when I did my plugs and this was only in early January and it has already died and the front right one has had yet to die. I plan to replace both with yellow bulbs but before that I was wondering how to fix this short or other problem.
knuckleballer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Blktrax
GX Member

Blktrax is on a distinguished road
Fog bulbs are just like halogen headlight bulbs, if you touch the glass, bam splat, no worky. Ive has issues with touching the mositure ring and had the same result. Also if the lense is cracked and letting moisture in again same result.

I removed the housing around the light, resealed it and then ran a bolt through since cutting off the housing looses the aiming pin.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckleballer32 View Post
I was wondering if any of you guys or girls have ever had a problem with the fog light bulbs not lasting very long. I replaced my front left fog light bulb when I did my plugs and this was only in early January and it has already died and the front right one has had yet to die. I plan to replace both with yellow bulbs but before that I was wondering how to fix this short or other problem.

mine die once every few months, get better bulbs

there's an aiming pin? where!?!?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Blktrax
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
there's an aiming pin? where!?!?

On the back of the OE foglight there is a plastic wingnut that allows the light to be aimed up and down, since i removed mine i aim it by loosing the nut and bolt and adjust accordingly. Last i remember you have to turn the wheels all the way one direction and go through the fender liner, or remove the headlight and go down.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
leoalero
GX Member

leoalero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to leoalero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktrax View Post
Fog bulbs are just like halogen headlight bulbs, if you touch the glass, bam splat, no worky. Ive has issues with touching the mositure ring and had the same result. Also if the lense is cracked and letting moisture in again same result.

I removed the housing around the light, resealed it and then ran a bolt through since cutting off the housing looses the aiming pin.

x2 for that,touching the bulb is bad,it if its not the problem,then check for the seal,is it properly sealed?check if theres nothing to produce a short close to it!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
knuckleballer32
GX Member

Thanks guys. It has to be the moisture. last time I changed the bulb I noticed moisture on the bulb. That looks really good blktrax. Will I be able to remove the exterior housing without removing the fender on the front tires?
Old 06-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #7
Blktrax
GX Member

I went from the bottom removing the clips that hold the splash guards on the bottom of the plastic bumper, remove the 2 bolts that hold the bracket to the steel bumper. pull the whole thing out the front. Cut the top and the bottom of the dress housing. Its held on simmilarly to the headlight housing, heat glue and pressure. I used a cutoff wheel and the heat from that got it to just split, being careful not to cut the accual foglight itself. Just need some hardware then, I used Bolt:washer:tab:washer:nut:GAP:nut:washer:tab:wash er:nut
Reason being if you dont it will pull the tabs on the mount and break them if tightened too much, the extra nuts and washers give the tabs some thing to push on rather then just pull together.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Moisture is what kills my passenger side bulb faster than the drivers side.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not sure even how to turn them on.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
knuckleballer32
GX Member

there is a flip switch by the dimmer switch. it has a green indicator light
Old 06-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #11
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
mine gets moisture in the dirver's side, i dried it out, and put RTV on it.... it MIGHT have helped, but im not sure
Old 06-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #12
99alerogirl
Female.

99alerogirl will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
Moisture is what kills my passenger side bulb faster than the drivers side.

x2....
99alerogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:10 PM   #13
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99alerogirl View Post
x2....

RTV sealent is your friend
Old 06-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #14
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckleballer32 View Post
there is a flip switch by the dimmer switch. it has a green indicator light

I noticed that this morning, but when I tried turning them on nothing happenned. I assume that the headlights have to be turned on? Does the engine have to be running? I bought this car used, but I'm reasonably sure that my mom never used the fog lights either. Can they go bad without ever being used?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #15
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

has to be running, can either be parking lamps or headlights to turn them on, they wont run by themselves
Old 06-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #16
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
has to be running, can either be parking lamps or headlights to turn them on, they wont run by themselves

Thanks. I was doing this test with the car not running. And the Alero in question is a 1999 with 25,000 miles on it, and I'm assuming that the former owner (my mom) never used the fog lights.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #17
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
Thanks. I was doing this test with the car not running. And the Alero in question is a 1999 with 25,000 miles on it, and I'm assuming that the former owner (my mom) never used the fog lights.

yes, my alero is a 99 with 153K miles, bit of a difference eh?
Old 06-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #18
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
yes, my alero is a 99 with 153K miles, bit of a difference eh?

Yeah, mine should actually work!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:24 PM   #19
knuckleballer32
GX Member

well i am going to pull a part tomorrow to buy a foglight after i pulled mine off my car only to find the bulb corroded out and a moldy lamp so moisture was the problem. thanks guys
Old 06-26-2009, 04:18 AM   #20
Alerosaint
Gone but not forgotten

Alerosaint is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Alerosaint Send a message via Yahoo to Alerosaint
its probably been said in the tread already but im going to skim and say it is moisture for the fogs being cracked change the fog to uncracked ones and you will be good until you crack those...Im out