Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
sfi3400
GL Member

sfi3400 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sfi3400 Send a message via Yahoo to sfi3400
cut-out????

What is everyone's idea of installing a cut-out on my 3400. Just to see the sound and lil if any performance, and when i get my super 44's i can close it. its at summit for 30 bucks
Old 03-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
It is going to be VERY LOUD. There is absolutely no point unless you race it. The very minimal increase in power output will be perceived as a loss in power since the car will be significantly louder. It makes it feel like the car is slower than it is because it's making a lot of noise and not going anywhere. You'll be like all the cool Hondas or even stock Mustangs that are all noise and not going anywhere.

Here's what it sounds like at idle at least on a 4 cylinder (albeit turbocharged, which makes it actually much quieter than an N/A car):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlbcASDGdy8
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
bentiac
GL Member

bentiac is on a distinguished road
I did a cutout with wired electronic gate on my grand Prix GTP and I would never do it again. The car gets too loud even with the gate closed and not loud in a pleasant way. Even if you are using it on track check the noise limits at your location; some tracks around me are very close to residential areas and won't tolerate that kind of noise. As for performance, I don't think it would do much unless you have upgraded camshaft and your exhaust is the bottleneck.
GS - 01 Alero Coupe - MT, CG-lock,Front/rear strut tower brace,WAI,Fidanza Short throw Shifter and custom short throw clutch, AGX adjustable struts and mounts, Dropzone Springs, speedbuilt front sway bar, Toyo R888.

CS - 06 RX8 - Special Edition Shinka, 285 Hoosier A6.
bentiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Well, a cutout would be great if there was a purpose for it other than just being loud. Physics-wise, it will likely be a power loss. Exhaust systems are designed from the factory to require a little scavenging effect to increase power (and efficiency) a little bit. Example: the exhaust flow exiting from one cylinder through the pipes helps to draw out the exhaust coming from the other cylinders. Without a slight flow restriction, this effect will be reduced or nullified. You can get better performance from a well made set of headers, and cat-back system with good flow dynamics. Cutouts mostly beneficial to those with high flow requirements in the upper performance levels, such as high-compression, or boosted applications. Not to say it will be of no benefit, but it's not likely to give you the performance increase you expected.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
exactly what i told him over AIM, but he HAD to not listen...
Nate's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
pimpalero2003
GLS member

pimpalero2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had to cut out my cat and I drove with nothing just to get parts unless you have some damn good ear plugs it's loud and freaking annoying like no other
Old 03-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
Weazel
GL Member

Weazel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Weazel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentiac View Post
I did a cutout with wired electronic gate on my grand Prix GTP and I would never do it again. The car gets too loud even with the gate closed and not loud in a pleasant way. Even if you are using it on track check the noise limits at your location; some tracks around me are very close to residential areas and won't tolerate that kind of noise. As for performance, I don't think it would do much unless you have upgraded camshaft and your exhaust is the bottleneck.

A track with db control sounds pretty lame
Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazel View Post

One would think so....but can you think of any other reason for a product called a "race muffler" ? It doesn't tone the sound down enough for full street use, but does take it down a notch for public disturbance at the track.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
bentiac
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazel View Post

Well CACC rules are:

Appendix C - Alternate Noise Limits
The CACC Autoslalom noise limit is 96db unless there is an alternate noise limit for that facility/track listed in the following list. Alternate noise limits are at the event site discretion and will be posted in the Supplemental Regulations for that venue.

Our track is next to a flight school but still =>Pitt Meadows Airport - 92db

I guess drag strips are further away from the residential areas and could be unlimited db.
GS - 01 Alero Coupe - MT, CG-lock,Front/rear strut tower brace,WAI,Fidanza Short throw Shifter and custom short throw clutch, AGX adjustable struts and mounts, Dropzone Springs, speedbuilt front sway bar, Toyo R888.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
bentiac
GL Member

Basically 92db from 50 ft away which is kind of like the sound of a vacuum cleaner from 10 ft away.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #11
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
NED is unlimited, it's near residential, but they all get free passes, so no one cares..
Nate's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:16 AM   #12
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
you'd just lose power. the only reason i could see to do it is if you had a track built car that was still street legal and just have the cutout change between a almost stock quiet for street and a glasspack or something high flow for drag.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #13
sfi3400
GL Member

sfi3400 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sfi3400 Send a message via Yahoo to sfi3400
o ok, idk i know my dude has a cut out on his z28 and its not really loud he drove past cops and they didn't look up
Old 03-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #14
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

you're missing the point. loud=nothing. no benefit. no purpose. if it isn't fast, people look at loud like you're an idiot. trust me I know, I point them out all the time, and we laugh our asses off.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:57 AM   #15
Weazel
GL Member

Weazel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Weazel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
you're missing the point. loud=nothing. no benefit. no purpose. if it isn't fast, people look at loud like you're an idiot. trust me I know, I point them out all the time, and we laugh our asses off.

Actually, our v6's have a pretty nice sound to them. I say no, he should wait for a full exhaust, but compared to a lot of other engines, the gm 3xxx series engines sound pretty sexy unmuffled.
Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #16
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
No, it doesn't. Everyone can attest to that from ManWhore running straight piped at ASS '09.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #17
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Well it looks like he wants to do this no matter what, so why post a thread about it.

Car will be loud, but sound like shit. You're not going to get a good sound from the exhaust for only $30

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote