Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 04-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
worknprog.99
GLS member

worknprog.99 is on a distinguished road
why?

is it really neccessary to remove the throttle body to do the simplest thing as to replacing the thermastat?

if so i would like to applaude GM on there intelligence
worknprog.99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Quote:
Originally Posted by worknprog.99 View Post
is it really neccessary to remove the throttle body to do the simplest thing as to replacing the thermastat?

if so i would like to applaude GM on there intelligence

You don't have to remove it, it just helps if you do.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
so they did it that way so they can charge more $$ to replace it since it takes longer. you can try to replace it with the TB till on and i wish you the best of luck and i hope you have small hands.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
misslindseysue
MINIac

misslindseysue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to misslindseysue
Engine hardware engineers never design anything with service in mind - they're just trying to fit everything into the box they're given. After it's designed they might move things around a little to make them easier to get to, but not at the expense of weight, space, or cost. Service is on you, vehicle cost and performance is on them.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
worknprog.99
GLS member

lol i tried without removing it thats why i figured you had to cause unless you have infant size hands it wont work... and absolutely service was never in mind in the design process!!!
Old 04-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
I'd rather have the difficult to change thermostat over the easy thermostat but crappy flowing intake on the Gen II engine.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
worknprog.99
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
I'd rather have the difficult to change thermostat over the easy thermostat but crappy flowing intake on the Gen II engine.

true lol
Old 04-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by misslindseysue View Post
Engine hardware engineers never design anything with service in mind - they're just trying to fit everything into the box they're given. After it's designed they might move things around a little to make them easier to get to, but not at the expense of weight, space, or cost. Service is on you, vehicle cost and performance is on them.

That and they seem to be giving little or no cleareanecs on the outside as well ( I mean between the engine and the firewall, between the engine and the radiator, etc.).
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
TxAlero
GX Member

TxAlero is on a distinguished road
Try working on a Northstar Engine from a Caddy. OMG what a pain in the ass that is. I had to replace my freeze plug and had to practily take off the whole side of the engine to get to it.
TxAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
I'll just put it this way. You'll have it done much faster by taking the TB off where you'll have clearance to work, than it will take you to try and work around the TB where you'll be hindered beyond belief. Trust me on that one. Never allow yourself to develop fear of a couple extra nuts and bolts, or every task in that engine bay will become daunting.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote