Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #21
Mach1
GX Member

Mach1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderWiFi View Post
Why you asking us if you're going to have a mechanic do it? Confused...

He'll be doing a brake job soon and while the car is with him, I'll ask him to look into the hesitation problem. But for now I might as well ask you guys for some help. I might be able to fix it before he gets the car. Also, I haven't posted on this site in like 6 months. I can't let you guys forget about me lol.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #22
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
K so must check...

- catalytic conv.
- fuel pressure (and filter)

Truthfully it'll be my mechanic buddy who'll be checking that lol.

If i don't lightly (and I mean very lightly) tap the gas pedal right as the motor fires up, it starts out all wonky like. If I don't tap it right as the motor fires, the car usually starts up at around 700 rpm and then "revs" itself to 1500 and slowly goes back down. And I f#cking hate when this happens, especially when the motor is dead cold and its winter in michigan. I know the block aint gonna crack from 1500 rpm, but it just effin bothers me lol.

I know... it's weird...

For this, check your Throttle Position Sensor and Idle Air Control Valve.
Philbar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #23
Stickybuddz420
GX Member

Stickybuddz420 is on a distinguished road
As Phil said you could check your TPS and IACV, but my friends car does the same thing and all the mechs. he went to said that its just the car warming itself up slightly before take off. As you should NOT let the car warm before driving and to just drive it gently when you cold start. Now I'm not sure as to exactly where this info came from but I have tried this quite a few times and I have noticed the car warms quicker, and it doesn't take nearly the gas to get it warm compared to letting it sit and idle warm. Hopefully you can get the problem solved and save some money before the mech takes it in. But I think you should re-read the whole post and give the easier things a shot as it may just solve the problem before she becomes a money pit.

EDIT: My Friend i was referring to drives a 2000 2.4L ( Just for reference )

No More Cobalts - 2 12" Punch HE2's
1100W BOSS CHAOS Mono Amp
Stickybuddz420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #24
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
If you start a car and drive away without letting it warm up in winter, your oil will be too thick, so your engine won't be happy, and your tranny fluid will be even thicker, so your tranny really won't be happy. If it's above about -20 5 minutes is plenty to get them warmed up enough, but don't expect heat till you've driven a minute or two after that.

edit: not sure about a manual, maybe you'd be safe on the tranny end, but I doubt it.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:37 AM   #25
Stickybuddz420
GX Member

Stickybuddz420 is on a distinguished road
Yeah Luca that's why I said take it easy while driving to warm it up, If you don't then you can easily sever a seal/ring in many areas that you really don't want to have to replace, yeah here in Battle Creek we don't often see -20 so its not a huge factor to let the car warm unless your a sissy or have the money to waste gas. And I think with a manual transmission it would be just slightly less worry of failure because the only thing REALLY different is you control the clutch, But all the other parts are always susceptible to failure in any transmission. All tho I have never repaired/serviced a transmission besides speed sensors, this is my knowledge of cold starting a vehicle.

No More Cobalts - 2 12" Punch HE2's
1100W BOSS CHAOS Mono Amp
Stickybuddz420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #26
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Check for vacuum leaks and clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF).
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #27
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
You rarely see -20...lucky, up here in ND from mid Jan through the beginning of March it is pretty consistently below -20 degrees.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #28
Mach1
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
Check for vacuum leaks and clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF).

I literally just cleaned the entire air box, and I took some q-tips and cleaned what i would describe as a "tar-ish" build up on most of the inside of the MAF. I also saw this build up on the bottom half of the air box. I am assuming that I oiled my k&n filter too heavily, and that some of the oil awas sucked through and coated the MAF. Cleaning these parts seemed to help the throttle response of the car. Now I just need to pinpoint the problem causing the hesitation. I'm going to take a good guess that it is something involving fuel delivery.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #29
Mach1
GX Member

So I took out the #2 spark plug and cleaned it (with a light-duty metal brush), and then I thought that I might as well check the boot. I check the inside and it seemed a bit dirty (?), so i cleaned it with a q-tip and some alcohol. I applied new dielectric grease, hooked it back it, started the car, and...

Nothing!

I don't know if it was the boot or whatever, but there is no hesitation anymore under heavy throttle.

I don't know if I should feel stupid or happy lol.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #30
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
wait you...filled the boot with dielectric grease??? you realize dielectric prevents electricity right?
Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #31
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
wait you...filled the boot with dielectric grease??? you realize dielectric prevents electricity right?

im almost positive its supposed to keep water and corrosion out
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #32
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
your right alero_bmxer, its something that should always be done and even comes in kits when you buy spark plugs to do on your wires.... ( or boots )
robalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #33
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
hahaha, you guys need to read up

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...211945,00.html
Old 11-30-2010, 12:16 AM   #34
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
You put dielectric grease in plug boots no matter what. Anyone who works on cars knows that, any reputable shop does that, period. It's not meant to make it conduct better, it's meant to keep junk out.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #35
Mach1
GX Member

Ya, even the service manual reminds you to apply it to the insides of the boot. I swear dood.