Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 09-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
2000aleroff
GX Member

2000aleroff is on a distinguished road
engine rebuild

Just finished my doing a lower intake manifold on my alero and now im putting it back together. the only problem is that when i had it apart i took the rocker arms pushrods and valve springs off to clean them. before i did all of this i didnt set it to TDC. now that i am putting it back together do i have to put it at top dead center or does it matter? i dont want to put it back wrong so i figured id ask...
2000aleroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
bkathsalero
GL Member

bkathsalero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bkathsalero
No You dont have to
Old 09-03-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
hok666
GLS member

hok666 is an unknown quantity at this point
good question I hope someone can answer it for you:P and its also good know the answer:P
hok666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:32 AM   #4
2000aleroff
GX Member

2000aleroff is on a distinguished road
ok thanks i was hoping i didnt have to do all that.
2000aleroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
hok666
GLS member

good for you then and good to know
Old 09-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #6
mfuller

Technically, you'd want to keep all the pushrods in order so that they go back where they came from, but it's mainly important that you don't mix up intake and exhaust pushrods - the exhaust pushrods are longer.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #7
hok666
GLS member

oh and what if you want to just clean the heads with... I dunno (brake cleaner) would that be good? :P A serious question I might consider doing it to mine, if I get bigger intake passages...
Old 09-03-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
mfuller

If you clean the heads with any harsh detergents (like from a parts cleaner), I would at the very least replace the valve seals, which means you are disassembling the entire valvetrain.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
what is TDC? And what would you clean the internal engine components with once you have her opened up?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
DUSTIN0285
UnOrThOdOx

DUSTIN0285 is on a distinguished road
Top Dead Center
DUSTIN0285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
TDC = top dead center, which means the piston is at the exact peak of its stroke within the cylinder
Old 12-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #12
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderWiFi View Post
what is TDC? And what would you clean the internal engine components with once you have her opened up?

A 2 second google search will tell you Top Dead Center... Though I'm not sure which piston you would use to get it.

You can use almost anything to clean them... from Gasoline to Brake Clean... I would probably use brake clean but as he said you would probably want to replace the valve seals after using such a harsh cleaning method.
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
Ttop191
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
A 2 second google search will tell you Top Dead Center... Though I'm not sure which piston you would use to get it.

When you find TDC its usually to do something such as adjusting the valves, basically you find it in one cyl, make your adjustments, move on to the next cyl in the firing order, find TDC in that cyl by rotating the crank, make adjustments...so on and so forth
Old 12-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #14
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
When you find TDC its usually to do something such as adjusting the valves, basically you find it in one cyl, make your adjustments, move on to the next cyl in the firing order, find TDC in that cyl by rotating the crank, make adjustments...so on and so forth

Lol on my honda (whatever guys) you only need TDC from cyl 1 and 4 to dial it in.. so I wasn't sure how it would work with the V6
Old 12-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #15
Ttop191
GLS member

lol, i just adjusted the valves on my honda, and i still had to go through all 4 cylinders, think about it, of you adjust when cyl 2 or 3 arent at TDC your specs are going to be off, and its going to run like shit, when I effed up the first time i mixed up my specs for intake and exhaust, and the thing sounded like a damn diesel hahaha
Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #16
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
lol, i just adjusted the valves on my honda, and i still had to go through all 4 cylinders, think about it, of you adjust when cyl 2 or 3 arent at TDC your specs are going to be off, and its going to run like shit, when I effed up the first time i mixed up my specs for intake and exhaust, and the thing sounded like a damn diesel hahaha

I'm cammed with cast pistons facing the wrong way with loose PTW clearance so I know what that sounds like haha
Old 12-29-2010, 12:47 AM   #17
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
TDC is when cyl number 1 is up and both valves are closed.

Older cars have a timing tab that shows TDC which is 0*

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote