Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 09-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
Exclamation 3400 MAF failure symptoms

ok, so it is my understanding the MAF can affect how your car runs in a variety of ways when it is broken or dirty. So, with that said, what exactly are the symptoms of a bad one that people have experienced here?

Also, I have heard ours are bad to clean because a protective film is removed when it is cleaned? so when they are malfunctioning, do you just replace them?

I ask this because I suspect mine is the root cause of a variety of issues in my car but I would rather see if people here have experienced similar issues that led back to a bad MAF.

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:00 AM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
only thing that ive had a problem with was my intake sucked some water up to the maf and messed with the readings so the car bogged really bad. got home, just wiped a rag through the maf and slapped it back on, works like new still.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
It shouldnt be bad to clean your MAF...they make cleaners specific for cleaning MAF sensors...there is also a how-to on this site specifically about cleaning the 3400's MAF...if you suspect something is up with your MAF, I would try cleaning it first.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
ditto ^

Done it before. Good for the car.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
links to this "how-to" for cleaning MAF? I'm worried that I will break a wire harness or something since the car is getting old and brittle!

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
you wont break it lol just becareful when you take it apart and be careful of the center part, break that then you will mess it up
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
G.I.Ceo
GX Member

G.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond repute
If you MAF is bad it will cause your car to idle funny and when its really bad or broken it can cause you car to shift hard. Like someone already posted they do make MAF cleaner that you can get at any auto parts store. I keep a bottle on hand and every once in a while I will take mine out and spray it down.

Garrett GT35 / Turbo Headers / 2.5" high flow DP / 60lb Injectors / Custom SLP Exhaust / Ported 3500 Heads / Ported 3500 UIM/LIM / 65mm TB / Turbonetics Evolution WG / Greddy Type-RS BOV / Casper Adjustable FPR / Casper High Speed Fan Switch / Speedbuilt F/R STB's / Next Level F/R Sway bars / Eibach Springs / Dual Gauge Pod with Aeroforce Gauges / Big Four Upgrade / HP Tuners and more!

"Living is doing everything you want to do and dying is everything else"
G.I.Ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
its the second link in the FAQs section lol its stickied. Here you go:
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28462
My MAF was really bad when I cleaned mine. After I cleaned it my MPG went up a bit. Good luck..also be make sure to be gentile..those little thermistor things are easy to bend

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote