Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 02-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
dbailey
GL Member

dbailey is an unknown quantity at this point
P/S Foamy and groaning

Well I was changing the front brake pads and while it was on jack stands I turned the wheel each way to better access the caliper mount bolts. Put it back together and when I lowered it and started it back up the power steering pump is groaning and there is foam in the reservior. No problem before. Any ideas on what happened and what I need to do now? Was hoping by turning the wheel left and right that that would maybe bleed the air out of it but NOT.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
dbailey
GL Member

P.S. When I was turning the wheel while it was on jack stands the engine was NOT running.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
wait for the foam to disapear and then check fluid level. im willing to bet its low. why is it low will be the next step.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
dbailey
GL Member

Thanks for suggestion. Will do. Always keep an eye on fluid levels and no leaks in garage from previous leak but I guess you never know.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
dbailey
GL Member

Checked it and it was full and no foam. Started it up and the sound seems to be gone. How weird!
Old 12-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
GL2Alero
GX Member

GL2Alero is on a distinguished road
Mine just started doing this....strange thing I changed the front brakes and belt a few months ago and it has not really been driven but I started it last week in the freezing cold and the PS pump is really loud, fluid is foaming and steering is stiff. Ive warmed it up and drove it around the block and started it a few times since and still same. Has plenty of fluid. Any ideas? Did the pump just go bad?
GL2Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
tis possible the pump went bad, but not typical. is the fluid FULL or not? fluid temp also plays a major role in pump noise. too thick could make excessive noise.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
GL2Alero
GX Member

Plenty of fluid. I did find that the high pressure connection was loose and got it tightened up but still really loud even when warmed up. Driving it gets real loud when turning and you can even almost feel it in the steering...
I noticed that when I had the belt off that the pulley has some play in and out. Im guessing the pump must be bad. I just think its weird its sudden.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #9
rocketfast321
GL Member

rocketfast321 is on a distinguished road
Change your fluid first, drain the tank and fill it back up. My pump did that too where it sounds like a supercharger. I bet the fluid is real sickly looking.
Baby Sandy: 2001 2.4 Grand Am se 1.5 (auto) 32k-119k : Sept.2002-Aug.2010
Mickey: 2001 Alero GL 2.4 5-speed (Nov. 2010) 109k-???
rocketfast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
GL2Alero
GX Member

Well I found the receipt for the pump I had replaced it 5 years ago and its lifetime warranty so Im just gonna replace it Wont be here til tomorrow though. Hopefully a new pump and fluid will fix it.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
GL2Alero
GX Member

Replaced the pump....PITA. Still same thing happening.
Loud growling and foaming fluid...what gives?
Old 12-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

how long did you run it after a new pump? when i isntall a new pump i fill it to full, then with engine off i turn the steering wheel lock to lock 5 times, refill fluid, start engine, lock to lock 5 times, check fluid level and try dringing it after that for a while.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
GL2Alero
GX Member

I filled it full and spun the pulley by hand some then I just started the engine and turned it some and then drove down the street and back but it is super load and foaming and just doing the same as the old one did.

I figure the pump is loud because the fluid is aerated. But im not sure why or how the fluid is getting aerated?
Old 12-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

Just spinning the pump by hand isn't going to help. Wait for the foam to go away and put the fluid level to full and then try what I suggested.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #15
jawa