Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 12-29-2003, 08:00 AM   #1
CocoaAlero

Cheap Ebay muffler
Could this actually fit?
Old 12-29-2003, 02:19 PM   #2
dopey

ya it will fit. prolly make ur car sound like a lawn boy though.......

and look at the shipping.... $27..... ur better off goin to ur local mufflershop and getting something
Old 12-29-2003, 04:44 PM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
No these mufflers have a fiberglass insulation which make the sound, It will wear out fast and the car will not have the same power. Plus I second what Sweet Alero 99 said, It will sound like a lawnmower or a go-kart on roids.

Go to a muffler shop and get a Flowmaster. A lot of people on this site have the 80 and a few have the 60. I however got the 40. I just got it and haven't had the time to get in installed. The inside of a Flowmaster is all metal and won't wear out as quick. It also gives you a really nice deep tone

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:23 PM   #4
dopey

i have 2 40series flowmasters on my car.

i like it. its abit deeper than the 80 at idle in my opinion...... and i dont have the annoying resonating tone that the 80 has when ur crusin at like 60mph
Old 12-30-2003, 07:24 PM   #5
CocoaAlero

Quote:
Originally posted by SweetAlero99@Dec 30 2003, 12:23 AM
i have 2 40series flowmasters on my car.

i like it. its abit deeper than the 80 at idle in my opinion...... and i dont have the annoying resonating tone that the 80 has when ur crusin at like 60mph
Not to sound retarded or anything, but how did you get 2 mufflers under your car?
I thought there was just room for 1. What does the 40 series look like?
Is it a straight through design or does it have the same type of shape as the factory muffler?
Yeah, that Ebay one reeks of cheap! I was just curious if that type would fit.
Thanks for the replys.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:31 PM   #6
Insane75

hey sweet do you have any sound clips of your two 40s. I have heard 80s but never 40s just courious is all.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:36 AM   #7
dopey

no sound clips sorry. id say its abit quieter and deeper when idleing...... but then again i dont know how having dual 40's on there affects that. i assume if u get just 1 40 it would be much louder. not positive though.

the 40 is a shorter muffler than the 80. the 80 is mounted the same way as the stock muffler..... which is like left to right if that makes sense........ u can turn 40's sideways and they weill fit.........
Old 12-31-2003, 08:42 AM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Two 40's Got any pics

The 40 I have is a single in dual out

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 12-31-2003, 11:21 AM   #9
Insane75

Quote:
u can turn 40's sideways and they weill fit.........

you mean strait front to back?
Old 01-02-2004, 12:16 AM   #10
dopey

^^^ ya thats what i ment.

just get a single in and single out....... wether u get one or 2.

i wouldnt reccomend getting 2 unless u have a body kit. i have the razzi so it has a second cutout in the bumper for the tip.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:35 PM   #11
ShortysTRM

No offense, but I'm surprised by all of this flowmaster talk...In my opinion, I wouldn't put a muffler on unless it a straight through design, like Borla, Magnaflow, or something like that. There are a lot of cheap mufflers that are straight through, but I wouldn't go that route if I were you. If this muffler is going to be on your car forver, then I would spend the extra $30 or whatever to get something good. Just go to Jegs.com or Summitracing.com...they both have good service and a huge inventory, shipping's cheap, and even ground only takes like 3 days. Also, get stainless steel. That's mostly all those companies offer, so it's not hard to find. And my fiance has a carbon-fiber ricer muffler, and besides the fact that the bolts weren't stainless (that's what I get for buying Ractive), we have no complaints. It sounds deep all the way through the RPM range and definitely opened up the exhaust. It's a bit loud without the silencer cap, so you may either want to leave your stock resonator on or make sure you get a muffler with a silencer. Magnaflow makes some that have a twist-lock silencer, which is better than the two-bolt system Ractive (and 4,000,000 other companies) have. I have sound and video clips, but I dunno how to post them. Good luck man!
Old 01-02-2004, 09:08 PM   #12
Redog
Aleromod part owner

I have a Ractive on my car right now and it's OK. I liked it when I first bought it but now it's starting to wear out.

Straight thru are OK but the instaulion wears out too fast and then the Muffler will slow you down and sound worse.

Flowmaster is all metal and Magnaflow I belive is also made by Flowmaster

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 01-03-2004, 01:20 PM   #13
ShortysTRM

Magnaflow is owned by Car Sound Exhaust Inc., who make 3-way catalytic converters. I have Dynomax Ultra-Flo on my Grand Am and they do quite well. I have had them for about 5 years now and I don't notice any difference from the way they were a few days after they were installed. I think straight through mufflers, except for glasspacks, have resolved the issue of losing their packing by putting a layer of stainless steel mesh around the perforated core, then filling the rest with fiberglass. I can also still just wipe mine off with one pass of a cloth and they look like a couple of mirrors.