Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 12-11-2004, 05:58 AM   #1
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
I have a few more questions about fuel set-ups for a turbo....hopefully the last few. I've been reading about the Vortech FMU and considering using that. the only thing is that they come in different pressure ratios (4:1, 6:1, 8:1, 10:1, 12:1) and I was wondering which would be best for running 6-7 psi of boost? Also I'm looking to add a moderately higher flowing fuel pump. any suggestions on a good one to use?
Old 12-11-2004, 09:21 PM   #2
Spy

best fuel system for you.

6-7lbs...of boost

310cc injectors
gm 2-bar map.
gm supercharger reflash
inline or intake fuel pump replacement/upgrade

go to town.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:33 AM   #3
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
or go with a cartech FMU
Old 12-12-2004, 08:16 PM   #4
Spy

FMU's are yucky.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:13 PM   #5
nguyen187

So far the reccomendations are good, except for that little boost you really don't need the inline pump or replacement pump, if you go higher boost than i would say do so.

i personally hate my msd inline, trying to get an intank though!
Old 12-13-2004, 04:27 AM   #6
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Spy@Dec 11 2004, 09:21 PM

6-7lbs...of boost

310cc injectors
gm 2-bar map.
gm supercharger reflash

go to town.
sounds like a good setup...will the engine maintain semi-decent street drivability? also spy, what dont you like about fmu's? and eventually when i build up the internals i'll be turning up the boost.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:46 PM   #7
Spy

Quote:
Originally posted by Spilner521+Dec 13 2004, 09:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spilner521 @ Dec 13 2004, 09:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spy@Dec 11 2004, 09:21 PM

6-7lbs...of boost

310cc injectors
gm 2-bar map.
gm supercharger reflash

go to town.
sounds like a good setup...will the engine maintain semi-decent street drivability? also spy, what dont you like about fmu's? and eventually when i build up the internals i'll be turning up the boost. [/b][/quote]
it'll drive like a street car. Calm and content.

It's a GM calibration, it's just instead of having hte supercharger you're having a turbo. A few guys on the .org are using it and having absolutely zero complaints, as well as better reliability.

Side note, if you plan on going onto higher boost, 11+psi, I would recommend getting 370cc or 440cc injectors, along w/ an Apexi S-AFC type fuel controller so you can tune the injectors a bit for better driveability and idle.

One guy was running the 310cc injectors and he just ran out of... we'll just say injector... on an 11psi run on the dyno... more fuel more fuel... the pcm just went retarded w/ the timing, if you catch my drift.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:15 PM   #8
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
11+ i would go 440 injectors.

far as the GM calbration can be a bitch to get. hell j-body guys have issues getting it so just imagine us. hell last i checked a month ago i was told the n-body calibration didn't exist but i have the part number and know it does.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:22 AM   #9
Spilner521
Boost Guru

any idea where others have gotten the GM calibration and how much something like that would run?

- I appreciate all the help and answers to my questions...makes this whole project a helluva lot easier - :thumbsup:
Old 12-17-2004, 12:20 PM   #10
AleroSS

could you use an SAFC II instead of the GM SC flash, in order to tune/run your fuel system? Also, is he really in need of swapping out the pump just yet, Ive heard they shouldnt need to be swapped right off the hop, though Ive been talkin to people about boost in relation to the ecotec
Old 12-17-2004, 08:02 PM   #11
Spy

Quote:
Originally posted by AleroSS@Dec 17 2004, 05:20 PM
could you use an SAFC II instead of the GM SC flash, in order to tune/run your fuel system? Also, is he really in need of swapping out the pump just yet, Ive heard they shouldnt need to be swapped right off the hop, though Ive been talkin to people about boost in relation to the ecotec
I would use the reflash for one main reason. It's been tuned to deal w/ boost not only at WOT but also at part throttle, etc... I would use the S-AFC to fine tune things, and make adjustments in relation to using different sized injectors....

Your intank pump should be good for a bit, but when you want to start making big power down the road... intank replacement.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:15 AM   #12
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Quote:
Originally posted by Spy+Dec 13 2004, 02:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spy @ Dec 13 2004, 02:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Spilner521@Dec 13 2004, 09:27 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Spy
Quote:
@Dec 11 2004, 09:21 PM

6-7lbs...of boost

310cc injectors
gm 2-bar map.
gm supercharger reflash

go to town.

sounds like a good setup...will the engine maintain semi-decent street drivability? also spy, what dont you like about fmu's? and eventually when i build up the internals i'll be turning up the boost.

It's a GM calibration, it's just instead of having hte supercharger you're having a turbo. A few guys on the .org are using it and having absolutely zero complaints, as well as better reliability.

Side note, if you plan on going onto higher boost, 11+psi, I would recommend getting 370cc or 440cc injectors, along w/ an Apexi S-AFC type fuel controller so you can tune the injectors a bit for better driveability and idle.

One guy was running the 310cc injectors and he just ran out of... we'll just say injector... on an 11psi run on the dyno... more fuel more fuel... the pcm just went retarded w/ the timing, if you catch my drift. [/b][/quote]
wait a minute..you don't like stand alone FMU but you would suggest getting a piggy back spoofer like the apexi??
Old 12-20-2004, 02:10 AM   #13
Spilner521
Boost Guru

I asked the same question but it never got answered...
Old 12-24-2004, 08:58 PM   #14
Spy

Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Eddie+Dec 18 2004, 07:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fast Eddie @ Dec 18 2004, 07:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Spy@Dec 13 2004, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Spilner521@Dec 13 2004, 09:27 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Spy
Quote:
Quote:
@Dec 11 2004, 09:21 PM

6-7lbs...of boost

310cc injectors
gm 2-bar map.
gm supercharger reflash

go to town.

One guy was running the 310cc injectors and he just ran out of... we'll just say injector... on an 11psi run on the dyno... more fuel more fuel... the pcm just went retarded w/ the timing, if you catch my drift.
wait a minute..you don't like stand alone FMU but you would suggest getting a piggy back spoofer like the apexi?? [/b][/quote]
okay... let me reword this so the people who don't read engrish can understand...

you want to boost your 2.4.... you have a 99+ car.. you only intend to run 10psi at most...

my personal solution... 370cc injectors, reflash, AFPR...

FMU... blech.. max out those injectors too easily...

now if you intend to run more boost and have happy good fun time..

Personally I'm going to be using 440cc injectors, the reflash, AFPR, and the apexi S-afc...

400cc injectors do not a happy idle make... afpr tunes it down a touch, but still too much fuel at idle and low operating speeds... sputter sputter... with the S-AFC you can adjust your lil injector super fun time action in +/- 50%.. i believe, most likely a bit more in 500-1000rpm increments...

FMU's suck.. this is a more sound solution ....

the be all end all would be a stand alone.. but i doubt most anybody here will ever run one on an n-body.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:35 AM   #15
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
an FMU IS a stand alone where I come from, so saying the a'pexi is a better option is just ignorant. Most FMUs allow you to tune the fuel curve through out the RPM range, from idle to 8K+RPMs. I'm not sure what you plan on running since
Quote:
Originally posted by spy+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (spy)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>my personal solution... 370cc injectors, reflash, AFPR...[/b]
but then you turn around and say <!--QuoteBegin-spy
Personally I'm going to be using 440cc injectors, the reflash, AFPR, and the apexi S-afc...

400cc injectors do not a happy idle make... afpr tunes it down a touch, but still too much fuel at idle and low operating speeds... sputter sputter... with the S-AFC you can adjust your lil injector super fun time action in +/- 50%.. i believe, most likely a bit more in 500-1000rpm increments...
[/quote]

So I'm not sure what size injectors you plan on running?? but there are many things that contribute to the fuel delivery system including injector size, fuel pressure, hose size, pulse width, etc, etc. I have built several FMUs and tuned multiple EFI systems including a DSM that runs high 9's and a 2.8L six that makes north of 200 HP at the crank w/o forced induction.

I miss how a FMU which controls all aspects of the fuel delivery system is inferior to a stock computer with a lame piggy back module.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:27 PM   #16
Spy

Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Eddie+Dec 29 2004, 07:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fast Eddie @ Dec 29 2004, 07:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> an FMU IS a stand alone where I come from, so saying the a'pexi is a better option is just ignorant. Most FMUs allow you to tune the fuel curve through out the RPM range, from idle to 8K+RPMs. I'm not sure what you plan on running since
Quote:
Originally posted by spy@
my personal solution... 370cc injectors, reflash, AFPR...
but then you turn around and say <!--QuoteBegin-spy

So I'm not sure what size injectors you plan on running?? but there are many things that contribute to the fuel delivery system including injector size, fuel pressure, hose size, pulse width, etc, etc. I have built several FMUs and tuned multiple EFI systems including a DSM that runs high 9's and a 2.8L six that makes north of 200 HP at the crank w/o forced induction.

I miss how a FMU which controls all aspects of the fuel delivery system is inferior to a stock computer with a lame piggy back module. [/b][/quote]
FMU = that Vortec dilly....

personally on MY car

440cc injectors, gm s/c reflash, adjustable fuel regulator, Apexi S-AFC, and if it dies, an walbro intank pump replacement.

S-AFC I wouldn't consider junk, when I've seen many street cars here locally in the 11-13sec 1/4 mile range doing pretty damn fine using it as a supplement to their tuning needs. And in my case it will work just damn fine as well.

There's not many options out there for us quad powered guys, and I believe outside of going standalone what I've come up with would be the best possible solution.

If I was going to be running 370cc injectors I wouldn't even have to bother w/ the S-AFC, it's just we're going to try to squeeze a bit more out of my poopbox.