GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone disagree with this?

FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:36 AM   #22
FormulaNERD
GLS member

ok, well right now there is a 00g power running to the trunk on the driver side, and ground at the seat belt bolt.

you recommend running the three 5v(fr/rr/sub) preouts on the pass side for a cleaner signal? then use a distro block to split the 00 and ground to 2 2g or 4g wires? that sound good?

now i just need to find an affordable 4ch amp that puts out 150X4rms at 4 ohms. lol. that's gonna be difficult (if its afordable)

what about biamping? how exactly does that work, if the speakers are set for 3 ohms, and you're putting out 4 ohms, how do you get it to 3? i think i read something about taking out the passive crossover for the tweeters to increase impedance, but i dont know if that sounds right.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:24 AM   #23
violentrapture
V.I.P. Member

violentrapture is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to violentrapture
Quote:
Originally posted by FormulaNERD@Apr 29 2006, 06:36 AM
ok, well right now there is a 00g power running to the trunk on the driver side, and ground at the seat belt bolt.

you recommend running the three 5v(fr/rr/sub) preouts on the pass side for a cleaner signal? then use a distro block to split the 00 and ground to 2 2g or 4g wires? that sound good?

now i just need to find an affordable 4ch amp that puts out 150X4rms at 4 ohms. lol. that's gonna be difficult (if its afordable)

what about biamping? how exactly does that work, if the speakers are set for 3 ohms, and you're putting out 4 ohms, how do you get it to 3? i think i read something about taking out the passive crossover for the tweeters to increase impedance, but i dont know if that sounds right.

Yeah, run the 3 RCAs down under the passenger side (I'd loom and zip tie them just to make it cleaner and easier to route). Distro to split the power/ground to the amps - you can use either 2 or 4, it's up to you. I'm running 4 everywhere right now, with about 2,000w RMS and haven't had any problems, but am probably going to upgrade to 0/1 -> 2.

The 150x4@4 is going to be fun. I'll keep my eyes open, can't think of anything off the top of my head though (Cadence ZRS-4 might, it's somewhere around 125x4@4 I think)

Biamping is a whole kettle of fish that you could have all sorts of fun with - running them off of a solid 4 channel and their passive crossovers would probably be your best bet for right now. If you did not use the passive crossovers you'd be running active, and that yet again is an even hairer set of pit hair which would leave you looking for a better head unit, and quite honestly, unless you're doing a DIY stage, the component set manufacturers know where their drivers need to be crossed over and a lot of time and money is put into R&D on the crossovers.

- Sub wiring looks a-ok

~vR
Old 04-29-2006, 09:27 AM   #24
FormulaNERD
GLS member

ok, thanks man, i looked into biamping a little more, and i'm not interested in it really. i was thinking of going with 3ohm components so i could biamp them, but i think i'll just stick with 4ohm.

and isnt the zrs-4 like 800-900 bucks? hehe.

i dont think i'm going to be able to afford to completely power these speakers.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #25
violentrapture
V.I.P. Member

violentrapture is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to violentrapture
You can get the ZRS-4 in the ~$500 range (I saw one a guy let go for just under $200). Cheapest bet would probably be a couple of two channels - if you wanted to do it up really nice, assuming you don't already have the 2 channel for your subs, I'd buy 3 matching amps - like (2) JL 300/2 and a 500/1 (just for example - I do have a 500/1 I could sell also) . I don't know if you're wanting to stealth your install or build it for show, but it always looks nicer when the amps match if you do show it.

~vR
Old 04-29-2006, 09:48 AM   #26
FormulaNERD
GLS member

i'm having a custom enclosure made, and i'm still not sure if i want to stealth the amps.

for the eclipse subs i have an eclipse amp (PA4212) (* 200W 2 Channel 0.1% THD at 2 Stereo @ 13.8v)

that amp puts out 130rms at 4ohms. i i could get two more of those i suppose.

the only problem is that i planned for the subs and amp to be temp, evenually i want to get some higher end eclipse subs, or maybe some g5's and then i'd throw that little setup in my wifes car or something.

it's hard to plan everything out and leave room for the future.