Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 03-22-2007, 12:48 AM   #1
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
Best performance parts 2.4

does anyone know where is the best place to get peformance parts for the 2.4?

I have seen the headers on http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GA3018/ALUNDE...+Am-Alero.html but ive seen others at http://www.car-stuff.com/performance/quote.php?make=20&year=1999&model=477&brand=3462&p art_name=24&skipped=true which of these are better or are there better ones elsewhere?

I also seen HO intake manifold on mantapart.com and the raceshop.com but which do fellow aleros with the 2.4 prefer

and also where can i get a five speed tranny for my 99 2.4 alero?

Last edited by DOHC_tuner : 03-22-2007 at 12:55 AM.
DOHC_tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
lots of research for performance parts.

Secret Cam Swap
2.3HO intake manifold swap
the headers you put up are the same ones

i'm havin a brain fart...i can't remember anything else...
Old 03-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #3
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
http://quad4forums.com/

Information and classifieds...
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
check out j-body.org
the cavalier guys are a lot more performance driven than alero owners, in general. you'll find a lot more information, as well as parts for sale in their classifieds section. that's where i bought my supercharger, as well as other parts.
most of the time, bolt-on parts will be classified for the cavalier, but they have the same engine so it fits.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

yeah i heard bout the secret swap in the other threads and its got me wanting to go the junk yard to look at the older grand ams for the HO stuff. I know the exhaust cam part number is #24570698 (from oldmans posts) so does this mean i can buy a new one at a autoparts store?

1995 2.3L quad intake cam, and a 1991-94 quad 2.3 exhaust cam are the secret cams. So this includes sunfire and grandam right?
Old 03-22-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
the race shop is better than mantapart. RSM is over priced.

as for the cams yes the exhaust cam can be gotten at autozone. but if you put in a brand new cam i always recommend new lifters also.

The intake cam is from a 1995 (only) 2.3L Quad 4 engine.. the eighth digit in the VIN is a letter D. Can be found in 1995 Cavalier Z24, Sunfire GT, and Olds Achieva
Old 03-22-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post

as for the cams yes the exhaust cam can be gotten at autozone. but if you put in a brand new cam i always recommend new lifters also.

The intake cam is from a 1995 (only) 2.3L Quad 4 engine.. the eighth digit in the VIN is a letter D. Can be found in 1995 Cavalier Z24, Sunfire GT, and Olds Achieva

Thankz for the info oldsman, hey why dont u get a bodykit? At least the razzi kit. Just my opinion and i say this cause your car looks totally stock until I saw your engine man great job thats what im planning for my 2.4, and i like your idea of making it look like the OSV. I hope your not done.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
sleeper ftw

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #9
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHC_tuner View Post
Thankz for the info oldsman, hey why dont u get a bodykit? At least the razzi kit. Just my opinion and i say this cause your car looks totally stock until I saw your engine man great job thats what im planning for my 2.4, and i like your idea of making it look like the OSV. I hope your not done.

I have thought about the razzi but there is only 1 body kit for my car being i have the OSV suspension, brakes, and rims and tires.

oh and trust me i am not done.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:05 AM   #10
Oldsman
Owner

oh to answer the 5-spd in a 99 well you can get the getrag out of alero or grandam. not sure if one out of a cav will work due to mounts are different.

the biggest issue is you would need the wiring for it and the only way to do the computer is get a hp tuners setup and hopefully you can get the program for the tranny. if not then it's stand alone.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
the j-body getrag will work, you just need the nbody mounts...

What sensors go into the auto tranny? all you need for the manual tranny is the VSS sensor and that's it..

With HPTuners you can just upload a 5spd flash and go on your way, or just have the dealership flash you with the appropriate calibration.
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:33 PM   #12
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

Quote:

Do I have to get the camshaft lobe lifters from the 2.3 to accomodate the HO camshafts? And what else will I need to get the full potential of the secret cam swap?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:12 PM   #13
Oldsman
Owner

the 2.4 lifters work fine with the 2.3 cams. the only things that really help to get the power from the cams is polish and ported head, intake, TB, and exhaust.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:10 AM   #14
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
Quote:
the 2.4 lifters work fine with the 2.3 cams. the only things that really help to get the power from the cams is polish and ported head, intake, TB, and exhaust.

Don't forget getting the car tuned properly to actually take advantage of the mods.
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:30 PM   #15
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

thankz for the info i just asking cause i just had my head taken for a vavle job and i remember about the secret cams and since i had them out. I couldn't find the intake cam so ill wait till i get the 2.3 intake manifold with the 2.4 flange. But i can't wait to save up the funds for the conversion!!!!!!!
THANKZ ALERO TUNERZ!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:50 PM   #16
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

why dont the autoparts carry the intake camshafts for the secrect swap? MANNNNNNNN THIS SUCKS
Old 03-28-2007, 09:59 AM   #17
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

you can get them from gm...they're about 600$ CAD tho..haha...just check out scrapyards and you'll be good
Old 03-28-2007, 12:45 PM   #18
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

As for the 2.3 HO intake manifold it has to be customed with a 2.4 flange welded on to accept the head ports right? or well it match with no modifications, and i ask this because i seen some on sell on ebay.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:49 PM   #19
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

you gotta modify the holes on the manifold, and i'm pretty sure you gotta have something ground down...my manifold was already ready when i got it and just bolted on...Oldsman knows this best
Old 03-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #20
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

well i took a trip to the pick and pull and i found a lots of grand ams with the 2.3 intake manifold. I even saw a 2.3 single cam which i was surprised that they were made also. Well i have access to over 20 2.3 intake manifolds, so does it matter if its a single cam or if its not the GT vehicle. Also does any one know about how to get the 2.4 flange on the 2.3 intake manifold, just think it would be cheaper if i do it myself but the problem is our factory intake manifold is plastic so how do i get the flange on a aluminum manifold. I coudn't find the IDI cover that says HIGH OUTPUT only the one that has guad 4.