Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Hectic
GX Member

Hectic is on a distinguished road
Trunk leak

I did a quick search before posting this.

I had this problem back in the summer too. The spare tire well was filled with water!! After some investigating and testing a leak was found. The little vent on the right side of the trunk behind the carpet didn't have the rubber flaps on it like it should. I just covered it with insulation spray foam (tough stuff or w/e). It seemed to have fixed it.

I recently pulled the spare tire cover off, and again it's full of water!!!

I have checked everywhere!!

I need to get this fixed before I put down my sound deadening.

Is thre any known spots to check for leaks? The carpeting is wetter on the center rear and left side of the trunk, but idk if that's from the water splashing up or not.

I'm getting to the point of just getting some rubberized undercoating and just going crazy in the trunk!!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I have had this same problem and would like a picture of this vent you mention. I have not had water come back (enough to wet the carpet, I need to check my wheel well again) after I caulked an area shown in this post:

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33900

So how bad does your jack look now? Mine had a bunch of surface rust, but it's still usable.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
Hectic
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
I have had this same problem and would like a picture of this vent you mention. I have not had water come back (enough to wet the carpet, I need to check my wheel well again) after I caulked an area shown in this post:

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33900

So how bad does your jack look now? Mine had a bunch of surface rust, but it's still usable.

The jack looks like shit. I'm sure the rim will fall apart.

Just gross orange.

I can't even tell where those pictures are in te trunk. Lol
Old 04-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
I can't even tell where those pictures are in te trunk. Lol

It would be hard to describe, but look outside of the seal near where the trunk hinges are.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Hectic
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
It would be hard to describe, but look outside of the seal near where the trunk hinges are.

I got nothing coming in there.

I'm taking pictures, I've ripped the trunk apart. I see nowhere that water could come in...

Last edited by Hectic : 04-30-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
did you check your trunk seal to make sure the trunk is adjusted properly?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
I got nothing coming in there.

I would not be so sure about that. I could not really see how water could get in there, but the results have been good so far just be caulking up that area.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
Hectic
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
did you check your trunk seal to make sure the trunk is adjusted properly?

How do I do that?

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to anything mechanical about the car. I'm good with electronics and that's about it.

Although I have a good understanding of how ICE's, pumps, compressors, prime movers, and simple machines work.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
Hectic
GX Member

Have a feelin I found the problem...

The plastic piece along the edge of the trunk ( with the hole in the centre for the latch) has the rubber that runs along the whole "trunk gap" underneath it. I have a feeling it should be ontop of the plastic...
Old 04-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
I'm pretty clueless when it comes to anything mechanical about the car. I'm good with electronics and that's about it.

Find a local U-pull-it junkyard and find a car like yours there and take it apart. You'll learn so much!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
Hectic
GX Member

So I'm just gonna do everything that has to do with the trunk found in the waterleak sticky.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
also, look around where the trunk latch is bolted on... they rust out bad there and I had a hefty water leak

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
Hectic
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdgeofSanity View Post
also, look around where the trunk latch is bolted on... they rust out bad there and I had a hefty water leak

Was the first place I checked. Mine rusted out bad an was fixed years ago.

I gave a good spray with some sealant.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Quote:
How do I do that?

Although I have a good understanding of how ICE's, pumps, compressors, prime movers, and simple machines work.

the paper trick to feel how tight the seal is.