Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
JakeBrake
GX Member

JakeBrake is on a distinguished road
Lock Cylinder is F'ed , how do I replace it myself?

My lock cylinder is done for , and I need it replaced , I went to GM and they want 299.99 for the cylinder and like 150$ for labour to put it in , I have a parts car 02 alero ecotec that is a clone of my car perfectly , can I use the lock cylinder from that car and the key and put it in my alero ? or do I have to pay gm almost 500$ to get this done , please help ! I had to get my car towed home and the windows are still open.

Stage 2 Clutch
Cosmo Racing Intake
Polyuruthane motor Mounts
Magnaflow Muffler
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
yes you can replace it, you just need the key from your other car.
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
JakeBrake
GX Member

the cylinder doesnt need to be programmed in any way and it will just work ?

Stage 2 Clutch
Cosmo Racing Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Old 08-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
is it for the doors? or are you talking about the ignition cylinder?
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34513

i had a problem with my lock cylinder (it turned out to be something else) but i looked into it a lot and its wicked easy.

i called a junkyard and they say it only costs $10 for the part.
to get the part you just undo the radio bezel and the speedo bezel and unbolt a couple 7mm (IIRC) and bammo

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29305
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
if its an ignition cylinder i have a brand new one with keys... never installed
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
yeah... ignition cylinder is really easy... That place is ripping you off... you can tell them to shove that $299 bull where the sun don't shine... and $150 in labor??? I bought that part at Autozone for like $50-$80....
Old 08-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
JakeBrake
GX Member

so its just plug and play? and i can start my car and go ? thanks alot for the help guys i just took the old part from my car and ill install it soon.

Stage 2 Clutch
Cosmo Racing Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Old 08-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

pretty much.... A couple bolts, then you turn the key to I think the on or acc position, and it should come off pretty easily... One you get the bolts off, you will figure it out... Took me about an hour to do mine, but it was hot outside, so I took a break once I got it out. Put the new one in and you should be good to go. It might do the security thing on you, but just let it sit there again, and it should clear and not do it again. Mine's worked perfectly since I installed it.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
JakeBrake
GX Member

it says on that thread that the last step is to reprogram the BCU ? I have no idea what that means.

Stage 2 Clutch
Cosmo Racing Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Old 08-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

basically what I just told you.... turn it to on, security light will be on, let it sit till it shuts off. Should be good to go after that.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #12
JakeBrake
GX Member

okay thanks alot cavalier ill let you know how it goes !

Stage 2 Clutch
Cosmo Racing Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Old 08-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliers60 View Post
basically what I just told you.... turn it to on, security light will be on, let it sit till it shuts off. Should be good to go after that.

Do this twice and start it on the third cycle
Old 08-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #14
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

really? I think I only did it once.... But it was a while back.... I don't remember.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Actually you are right, that is what I did to start mine when replacing the PCM, same procedure. Anyway here it is straight from GM SI:

PASSLOCK Reprogramming Auto Learn

Important
Due to component variability, the vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system must have the learn procedure performed regardless, if the vehicle starts on the first ignition cycle after a VTD repair.

You must perform a theft relearn procedure if any of the following components have been replaced:

Passlock™ sensor
Body control module (BCM)
Powertrain control module (PCM)
The above modules, with the exception for the Passlock™ Sensor must also be programmed with each module's own vehicle configuration. See the individual module service manual section.

Auto Learn
Time required, approximately 10 minutes.

Insure that the battery is fully charged.
Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the CRANK position attempting to start the vehicle. The vehicle will start and then stall.
Leave the ignition switch in the ON position while observing the security indicator.
When the security indicator turns off, which can take up to 10 minutes, turn the ignition switch off. Wait 10 seconds.
The BCM and the PCM will learn the new code on the next start attempt.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #16
JakeBrake
GX Member

the security light is blinking now that ive installed the new iginition , and it will try to start but it wont... is it bad that it is blinking now ?>

Stage 2 Clutch
Cosmo Racing Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Old 08-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
MMGT1
GLS member

You have to leave it in the on position until the light goes out, then turn off, wait 10 seconds, and THEN start. Should stay off then unless you have damaged a wire installing the cylinder
Old 08-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #18
JakeBrake
GX Member

the car is now running !!! thanks so much for the help everyone you saved me alot of money !!

Stage 2 Clutch
Cosmo Racing Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Old 08-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #19
MMGT1
GLS member

BALLZZZZZZZzzzzzzz up! hahahahahaha
Old 08-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #20
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Now you can go to that place that quoted you $299 for an $80 part, and tell them to shove the $299 plus $150 in labor up their little ass.