Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 10-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Newlin
GX Member

Newlin is on a distinguished road
Help - Window Regulator Clips

Forgive my lack of knowledge on the topic...

My power window stopped working on my drivers side the other day (it could have been any other window and I'd be okay with it for a while) but I could still hear the motor running as though the window was being moved up and down.

So I take it to mechanic A and he says its my window regulator and it will cost $120 in parts and more than $100 in labor, so I immediately left. After saying thank you of course. I then took it to a second mechanic after I got out of work and they told me it was the regulator clips (I'm still not sure if they are both referring to the same part, I think not) and they told me it would be $30 in parts and $100 in labor and that all they would do would epoxy on new clips.

I'm in no position to pay that much for simple clips so I figured this was something I would tackle myself and I found this sticky with the part numbers so I just had a few questions for you guys.

I've seen a how-to around on opening the door panel so I'm not too worried there, but how hard would this be to do?

Second, are there any metal clips I can get instead of these cheap plastic ones?

Finally, should I attach them with epoxy as the mechanic stated they would do or is there a better way?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
look up the zip tie fix

Last edited by 03glgold : 10-16-2012 at 04:00 PM.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
both mechanics are correct. idk about the zip tie fix but i just replaced the whole motor/reg with one from a junkyard and works like new lol.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Newlin
GX Member

I'm looking at the zip tie fix and at least from what I've read it would seem its just a temporary fix to keep the window up, which mines does on its own.

Could I just order the pair of window clips and do it myself pretty easily? I found a nice how to on YouTube and it seems pretty simple.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
yeah i believe rock auto has the clips? not positive though.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
Newlin
GX Member

I was reading through the sticky article I mentioned and it seems I can grab this and use just the two I need, sure beats paying $30 or more for each sash clip.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:37 AM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

9$ isnt bad for those, get it.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
They are cheaper on eBay and I keep spares in my basement.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Truth
GX Member

Truth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Truth
Let me know how this turns out!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
you are over thinking this way to much. you can
A order new clips (autozone might have them)but you may need a heat gun the get the old ones off the window. some were appoxied on fron the factory. or B the zip tie method which works perfectly fine and will last a while.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
Newlin
GX Member

Well I just ordered a set from eBay for about $10 shipped. When they get here I'll fix her up and report back.

Edit: Just for the sake of reference, this is the video how-to I'll be using.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMxPyLat06Y

Last edited by Newlin : 10-17-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Add Video
Newlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
I bought new clips from GM a couple months back for 14 each. They glue to the bottom of the window glass, just take your glass to any glass shop and they will usually glue them for you. Then put your glass back in and bolt the clips to regulator. This is stupid easy.
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #13
Newlin
GX Member

How much did they charge you to glue them on?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
I found a place to do it for free when I dropped by. Most places would do it for like $30 but honestly, you can get a tube of epoxy at autozone and do it yourself just the same.
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisdad View Post
I found a place to do it for free when I dropped by. Most places would do it for like $30 but honestly, you can get a tube of epoxy at autozone and do it yourself just the same.

You can use JB Weld that you happen to keep around as well. Or at least plenty of people do it this way.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote