Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 11-18-2003, 12:26 PM   #1
havik

Difficulty:
TIME:

HOW TO: Install white gauges

Special thanks goes out to Molson: first for selling me his drjracing white gauges and secondly for providing me the initial instructions on how to install them. :thumbsup:

Tools required: Pencil, Paper, Ratchet Tool set

Begin: Record where your needles are set, especially the gas needle. Use the Pencil and paper for this.
1. Begin by removing the two screws at the top of the gauge trim.

2. The bottom section is clipped on, so tug on it to pull it out.

3. Unclip the trip button. Pull the trim out until you can see and access the trip button connection on the inside. There is a small clip normally located on the bottom of the connection.

4. Remove the trim.

5. There are four screws holding the cluster. Unscrew these, careful to not drop any screws inside the dash, they are a pain to retrieve.

6. Remove the cluster but notice the wiring connection attached at the top of the cluster. Unclip this connection to completely remove the cluster.

NOTE: Recommended you work in a more comfortable area now.
If you are changing the cluster bulbs, proceed to step 17

7. Unclip the front cover, exposing the gauges and needles.

8. Remove the pins (the ones that hold the speedometer and RPM needles at 0).

9. Remove the needles. It was suggested to me that using a fork works beautifully, and it did.

10. Begin removing the stock gauge cover. This is extremely sticky so be careful. Once completely removed, place in an area where nothing can or will stick to the gauges.

11. Place your white gauge cover.

12. Place the pins and the needles.

13. Plug wire connection back into the cluster to test if needles are set correctly. If you place the cluster back in the dash, be careful when/if adjusting the needles as they may fall in dash. Recommendended you test with cluster on steering column.

14. Once adjusted, clip front cover back on. Place cluster back inside dash (if not done already).
NOTE: cluster should be plugged in at this point.

15. Rescrew the cluster in place.

16. Take trim and reclip the trip button, the place the trim back in place. Make sure the bottom clips into place and the top screws are in place as well.

Done installing white gauges.

Changing cluster bulbs, continue from step 6

Bulb model numbers:
- 194 (5 bulbs)
- 24 (4 bulbs)

17. Unclip the rear cover, exposing the circuit board.

18. Turn the grey knobs roughly half a turn counter-clockwise to remove the bulbs.

19. Replace bulbs.

20. Re-clip rear cover. Plug in cluster and place into original position.

21. Please see step 16.

Done changing bulbs
Note: If you needles have adjusted incorrectly, you will have to reset them. Can't drive around with improper RPM, Speed, Temp and Gas ratings can we?
Old 11-19-2003, 10:07 PM   #2
jonez

What size bulbs go in the cluster??
Old 11-19-2003, 10:41 PM   #3
99blackalero

i didnt know you could change those bulbs...nice work havik
Old 11-19-2003, 11:19 PM   #4
havik

btw - there's 5 of these bulbs, plus there's some smaller ones that I haven't taken out yet, but the 5 bulbs light your gauge numbers/lines. I'm going to rip open my cluster again and see if we can replace the lights around the needles, I'll keep ya posted...

... (adjusted thread to read better)

The smaller bulbs best model number (estimations) is 24. Go to www.bulbs.com and you can order these bulbs there. I have sent numerous emails about these bulbs but haven't received anything back yet
Old 11-20-2003, 03:42 AM   #5
jonez

Thanks Havik
Old 11-24-2003, 04:01 PM   #6
jonez

I found a lot of places where I can purchase the 194 but I can't find anywhere to get the 24's. Was wondering if you had a site to get the 24's
Old 11-24-2003, 06:37 PM   #7
havik

Updated my posts, please re-read them.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:52 PM   #8
1WhiteOSV

hey man, instructions sound good...BUT i tried replacing my bulbs a few months ago when the idea popped into my head but the bulb itself did not come out of the gray piece that twists into the back of the cluster...i mean it MAY have if i pulled harder, but I was pullin pretty DAMN hard and i didnt want to break anything. let me know if there's any "trick" or somethin that might help me..or if im just retarded and cant get the bulb out lol...

thanks again man,
Adam
Old 02-25-2004, 11:20 PM   #9
bigd6983

I had the same problem as whiteosv, its almost like the buls are soldered into the grey sockets that you can pull out the back, you can pull them out but it will take time taking and putting them back in cause it will take some custom work I think
Old 02-26-2004, 01:04 AM   #10
boarder211

Quote:
its almost like the buls are soldered into the grey sockets that you can pull out the back, you can pull them out but it will take time taking and putting them back in cause it will take some custom work I think

Yeah... I was working on this, putting in new "ultra white" bulbs... only way that I found to get out the old bulbs was to grab them and rock them for like 4-5 mins until they finally popped out.
Installing the new bulbs wasn't too tough, though I have one that intermittently turns on/off... all I did was take the small wires on the bottom of the bulb and bend them over to the sides where the actual connections are. Testing was done using a trusty 9 volt battery and two wires to connect to the leads on the grey socket.

I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't have been easier to just buy new sockets... oh well. That's the way tha I had to do it on my 99
Old 02-26-2004, 02:59 AM   #11
jonez

I took a very small screw drive and slightly pride them at the base to get them lose, then they pulled fairly easy.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:23 PM   #12
havik

My bulbs came out after a couple of seconds of rocking them back and forth. I have an 03 (could be different for different years)
Old 02-26-2004, 01:39 PM   #13
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
You can see on the side of the grey deals where the wires from the bulbs wrap over the metal connectors. Pry these wires out with something, and the bulbs come out like butta!
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:31 AM   #14
rodney
GX Member

rodney is an unknown quantity at this point
are you guys putting in colored bulbs, or just replacing the stock ones?
rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:34 AM   #15
jonez

I put red bulbs in looks good.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:23 PM   #16
rodney
GX Member

do the numbers light up red now?
Old 03-01-2004, 01:16 AM   #17
jonez

Yes, I can take a pic sometime this week if you like
Old 03-01-2004, 01:41 AM   #18
rodney
GX Member

that would be cool. i was planning on putting red bulbs in there too. i just didnt know if they would glow red, since the stockers glow a greenish color.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:52 AM   #19
jonez

Thet do, and even the needles are red
Old 03-07-2004, 05:06 PM   #20
havik

I just took some pics of an installation to help out others.

http://sacredgrounds.brinkster.net/aleromod/index.html