Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Williamleo
GX Member

Williamleo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Williamleo
Rear Speakers stopped working! Help...

Hi all. Well I have owned my 2001 Alero for 1 week now, and have my first problem. Actually I noticed this the first day. The factory stereo system works fine but the rear speakers do not work. I tried the fader, I went into the trunk and made sure everything was hooked up. Tried wiggling the wires and harness but nothing. Then a couple nights ago I got in and started it up, the back speakers were working fine. I checked with the fader and yep! Course when I shut it off and turned it back on, no rear speakers. Any ideas? Please?
Williamleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
Could be a loose connection on the back of the stereo. Sometimes this is just the way of older electronics, could be the stereo is failing or dust/junk in the fader controls. Note that a special harness adapter is required if you want to use an aftermarket head unit...
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
Williamleo
GX Member

Here is the factory stereo. The car is so clean I know there is no dirt, debris in the controls. Fader is electronic with just that little pop out button to adjust. Everything else on it works perfect.

Last edited by Williamleo : 01-10-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
that doenst mean there isnt crap inside of it... or whose had it out before....

im willing to bet your having an issue with the radio. its the ONLY thing in common with both rear speakers. even if you have a factory amp you still have redundant wires going to the rear speakers (4 wires instead of two) and the speakers would still work if the amp didnt. id check the connection at the radio in back and if thats tight and all the wires are in the connector good (nothing looks pushed out) then id see about getting a nother radio cheap. i have one i can send you for cost of shipping but it would only tell you what your issue is... you would still need to find a nother radio cuz mines junk.

Last edited by a.graham52 : 07-19-2011 at 10:40 PM.
a.graham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
yea, your wiring could be decaying. i would just get a new headunit and call it a day. you will be much much happier with it in the long run

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
...maybe you had the music too high...bass all the way up and blew both speakers.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:07 AM   #7
Williamleo
GX Member

Ok... no question that it is a factory unit with no work ever done to it. I called the previous owner.

Next... Never had the volume up past about 1/3rd. (I'm an old guy). DID not blow anything up. (remember, I posted that I found this problem on the way home after I bought the car, the same day).

"your wiring could be decaying"... really? They do that? That would be a first in my 51 years of life on this planet. I'm just gonna go way out on a limb here and say... nope. They all look alive and well as I look at the underside of the dash...

Oh... I get it!!! Just get a new stereo! lol. Sorry... just playing a bit there. But you are right. Plus, a nice aftermarket system would be light years ahead of the plain jane that's in there now. Still, for now I'd just like to know what happened to my rear speakers...
Old 07-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #8
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamleo View Post
Still, for now I'd just like to know what happened to my rear speakers...

your radio has happned.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Probably blown. Hook up a AA to them and see if they make noise.

Otherwise hook up a speaker to the wiring and see if it plays. Two super easy tests.. get to it.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Is your rear defroster working? I know sounds nuts, but turn it on and physically put your hand on the back glass and see if it works. There is a module in the rear, at the roof line above the back glass on the passenger side of your car. May be toast...
2nd, any chance something in the trunk hit the little amp that is behind the carpet on the drivers inner quarter?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
Is your rear defroster working? I know sounds nuts, but turn it on and physically put your hand on the back glass and see if it works. There is a module in the rear, at the roof line above the back glass on the passenger side of your car. May be toast...
2nd, any chance something in the trunk hit the little amp that is behind the carpet on the drivers inner quarter?

what your talking about is the antenna module (and rear defroster) So.. his radio as a whole would go out, not just the rears.

Quote:
"your wiring could be decaying"... really? They do that? That would be a first in my 51 years of life on this planet. I'm just gonna go way out on a limb here and say... nope. They all look alive and well as I look at the underside of the dash...

its happened quite a few times on here. Especially since your not the first owner, take anything into consideration. (and people lie.. ALL THE TIME)

and not to sound like a prick (I know I will though)...
If your not going to take our trouble shooting advice into consideration, and not actually check things, then why bother posting about the problem? We can't just magically say "its this" and fix it for you, from our computers.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #12
Williamleo
GX Member

Quote:
and not to sound like a prick (I know I will though)...
If your not going to take our trouble shooting advice into consideration, and not actually check things, then why bother posting about the problem? We can't just magically say "its this" and fix it for you, from our computers.

I have checked out the things you all suggested, and I really appreciate your help! And even though you DID sound like a prick... LOL, just kiddin' man! I understand what you're saying. My thoughts were that maybe someone else had pretty much the same exact problem and figured out what the cause was. Please don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the help & suggestions. I know way more about the whole thing now because of you guys. I think you're right about it just being the head unit. They come on now and then, then the left one quits, then both work, then both quit. Weird eh? So gosh darn it! Guess I'll have to buy a new stereo! yeah!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #13
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

i have a stock radio out of a gls that will tell you if its the head unit. it doesnt have a screen but the radio still works. i just wnat to get rid of it.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #14
Williamleo
GX Member

I actually found a used one that works for free. Just have to talk to Chevy garage for the security details, but thank you!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #15
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
I have checked out the things you all suggested, and I really appreciate your help! And even though you DID sound like a prick... LOL, just kiddin' man! I understand what you're saying. My thoughts were that maybe someone else had pretty much the same exact problem and figured out what the cause was. Please don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the help & suggestions. I know way more about the whole thing now because of you guys. I think you're right about it just being the head unit. They come on now and then, then the left one quits, then both work, then both quit. Weird eh? So gosh darn it! Guess I'll have to buy a new stereo! yeah!

If you checked, then you can ignore the whole thing I said. It sounded like you were blowing us off before you even troubleshot the problem.

Glad to hear you got a replacement. Keep us posted on if it works.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #16
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
I actually found a used one that works for free. Just have to talk to Chevy garage for the security details, but thank you!

shouldnt be any issues, i didnt have to do anything when i swapped mine. plug and play