Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Intake Manifolds

http://wot-tech.com/shop/la1-3400-pe...ds/cat_56.html

I was carousing through these on WOT-TECH and wondered what difference they made as far as effects on the engine and whatnot. They are all for the 3400 but seem to have differences as far as flow and power. I'm uncertain of how that works: I thought a 3.4 is a 3.4 is a 3.4 ya know?
Old 03-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
it is the ported intake manifold.nate has the intake manifold ported on his car and he says he notices a difference.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
To take the manifolds off is to have to replace all the gaskets etc right? Big engine job if I remember correctly?
Old 03-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
why are the gaskets leaking and yes it takes a while. Ask nate
Old 03-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

No my gaskets and engine are fine. I believe I may be getting hooked on upgrading and I'm starting to browse for future projects...
Old 03-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
well, no, the biggest difference you're gonna get is if you do a complete 3.5 LX9 top end swap, you can get heads 200/pair, and manifolds 100/pair, plus gaskets 130/set and you'll feel a HUGE difference
Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

get the MLS gaskets from WOT
Old 03-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
well, no, the biggest difference you're gonna get is if you do a complete 3.5 LX9 top end swap, you can get heads 200/pair, and manifolds 100/pair, plus gaskets 130/set and you'll feel a HUGE difference
yes nate you are going to help me with the 3500 top swap.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
it's not really that hard, just take your time and if you need to write down what bolts go where and take pictures..

and i can get a complete 3500 engine for $180...
Old 03-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

oh those are great ideas thank you.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

I believe there is a how-to thread somewhere for it as well...
Old 03-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

ya there is.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

So prolly better to simply upgrade to a 3500 rather than try a different 3400 manifold? Why am I even thinking this...like I have the know how and tools or something...
Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #14
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Personally, I recommend the 3500 heads/intakes, preferably as a set.

The flow characteristics of the 3500 LIM/UIM in stock form are nearly equivalent to a fully ported 3400 set. Add the heads, and port/polish the whole set, and you've got some serious flow.

UIM/LIM isn't that hard to change.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #15
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

3500 headers are easier to come by then 3400 I take it?
Old 03-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #16
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
headERS or heads?

The exhaust flanges are the same bolt pattern for either head style.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #17
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

I meant heads. So what makes a head ported? May seem redundant but I'm lost with some of the terminology. Also, what other parts will need to be swapped/upgraded as a result. Any negative repercussions from this?

Kwhauk, I definitely can't do an engine swap though it would be cheaper lol.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #18
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
no engine swap, just the top end, but it is cheaper to go to a junk yard and buy a complete 3500 and dissasemble for the parts you need rather than buy them separately.....
Old 06-22-2010, 10:21 PM   #19
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

Here's a lesson in definitions (in my own words):

Ported means material is removed from the air flow path, and in some cases reshaped to enhance flow characteristics (shaping). This removal of material increases the diameter of the channel the air flows through and therefore increases the volume of air your engine can take in. This applies to anything in the intake flow path, from the Throttle Body, to the Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds, and also includes the Heads.

Match-porting means that two different items (such as Upper and Lower intake manifolds for example) are both ported where they mate so it also further reduces flow restriction and turbulence in the flow path.

Polished means the channels are made shiney-smooth which also reduces the resistance the air flow encounters as it passes through.

Gasket Matching means the gasket is also shaped to the exact dimensions of the corresponding ports to additionally reduce the turbulence and enhance flow.

The combination of all of the above will give the optimum flow characteristics when done properly.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:53 PM   #20
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

That helps quite a bit blackjack. But could you have a 3500 upper manifold with a 3400 lower manifold. If I am understanding correctly they come that way...but seems like it would not help anything if the lower was a 3400 and upper a 3500 because there is still a bottleneck point. Kind of like how my exhaust performance won't be fully realized until I have headers to open that bottleneck. Oh wot-tech please hurry...lol