Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 07-20-2005, 11:22 PM   #1
gre0481

Alright,

I'm not exactly sure when or how it happened, but between last week and this week; I know have tiny rust specs on my car.

I have white paint so it's very easy to notice. I ran my finger nail across it, so i can tell it's not through the paint. My cars not rusty, anywhere.

Has anyone else had this problem? I was told they cover the cars after being assembled to prevent these same specs, but what can be done if you have them? Will it buff out?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:37 PM   #2
misslindseysue

I'd try a clay bar first. Cleaner wax/paint cleaner should work, but that can give you more paint swirlies than it gets rid of if you're not careful. I think my clay bar was $10 or $15 at AutoZone.
Yeah.. I just checked it, the box is black with blue, the brand is Clay Magic, and it says on the box that it works for industrial fallout, which is what those little rust spots are.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:07 AM   #3
gre0481

Thanks

I'll try that. I might just wheel it out this weekend. Eventually hope to paint it. My buddies a painter and has his own equipment. Not sure if I trust him to do anything crazy though.

I didn't think Wixom was that close to a factory that would produce that much crap. It seemed to happen in a matter of hours
Old 07-21-2005, 12:17 AM   #4
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
clay bar or buffing it out will remove those specs
Old 07-21-2005, 09:51 AM   #5
misslindseysue

Wixom, like the huge Ford complex off 96...
Old 07-21-2005, 02:10 PM   #6
MCKALERO03
GX Member

MCKALERO03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by gre0481@Jul 21 2005, 12:07 AM
I didn't think Wixom was that close to a factory that would produce that much crap. It seemed to happen in a matter of hours

Yeah, the Ford wixom plant, the industrial parks on West road, the shops on Pontiac trail west of Wixom rd, the ones Beck south of Pontiac Trail. There are tons of places in wixom.

Another thing that could have caused this is your brakes. If you have semi-metallic pads, the brake dust can stick to the sides and rear of the car and leave little rust specs. I was confused the first time I noticed this on my car because it was on the piece that holds the license plate and on the bumper cover. I couldn't figure out how I was getting rust on plastic parts...Any cleaner wax will work with a little bit of elbow grease. It doesn't need to be strong cleaner because this stuff is usually just on the surface.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
gre0481

OK so I'm new to the area. The brakes would explain in in the front, but I have drums in the rear. Still possible?
Old 07-21-2005, 11:59 PM   #8
MCKALERO03
GX Member

MCKALERO03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah. If your going down the freeway and hit the brakes, that dust is going down the sides of the car and can attach to the sides or even the very back of the car. The air will swirl near the rear of the car when you are at speed and that is what can allow the dust to attach to the rear.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:02 AM   #9
gre0481

I know what the problem is, I have never had a white or light colored car before.

thanks for the input.. It isd much appreciated. I just picked up a mothers clay bar, still plan on wheeling everything out this weekend.