Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 01-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
UnoWHO

How many different header options do us 2.4 owners have? I have found pace setters on pyfc and some more on andys they look different? or maybe the one on andys is a representitive image? Anyways what are our options? And does anyone have the header off pyfc...says you need to cut the piping but does that also mean to ensure no leaks you need to weld it there or is there a flange there?
Old 01-08-2006, 12:16 AM   #2
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
pacesetter
rksport
stan's
obx
Old 01-08-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
UnoWHO

Do you prefer or suggest one that is the best for the price?
Old 01-08-2006, 11:54 PM   #4
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
best for the price i would say either OBX or pacesetter. if you go pacesetter make sure to get it ceramic coated.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
if i didn't get my pacesetter header ceramic coated, is there anything else i should do to keep it nice before i install it? i heard that they are notorious for warping.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #6
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
And rusting...
Old 01-09-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
UnoWHO

so get it powdercoated and I guess wrapping it just keeps more heat in which wouldcause it to warp faster...anyone knowif the matches right up to a flange or you have to weld it because the site says you have to cut the pipe a bit? whihc I guessmeans ofcourseyou have to wled but maybe?
Old 01-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #8
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

that's in reference to the downpipe. you have to weld it to the factory flange, i do believe. i'll see on thursday, when it gets here.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #9
Oldsman
Owner

if you get the pacesetter for the alero there is no cutting or welding, bolt it on. well except you will have to have downpipe welded on. but that is normal with a header.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

i just added something in the bazaar for a brand new set of headers for 150 shipped which is pretty cheap
Old 01-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #11
Spy

the header itself is complete bolt on.... except maybe you'll have to lengthen the 02 sensor wiring....

where it meets to the downpipe... the header kit comes with a new downpipe flange to connect to the header... so you will have to cut the downpipe right at the cat and have the new pacesetter downpipe flange piece welded there... then everything is bolts up and off you go.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #12
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Quote:
Originally posted by 2fst4u@Jan 9 2006, 05:28 PM
i just added something in the bazaar for a brand new set of headers for 150 shipped which is pretty cheap

There is only one header, its an inline engine :P

As for the install it depends on what brand you get. Most are pretty strait forward, bold to the head weld to the pre-cat piping. The longevity depends on the material its made out of. I went with OBX b/c 1. they are inexpensive and 2. its SS. Even with the coatings headers will rust, H2O is a byproduct of the combustion process. Coatings only cover the outside of the header, not the inside.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:38 PM   #13
UnoWHO

Ah true, yea me and a friend did his civics header the other day and were done in a matter of about 10 minutes, lol cool cool thanks guys
Old 01-15-2006, 12:31 AM   #14
Spy

Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Eddie+Jan 10 2006, 12:41 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fast Eddie @ Jan 10 2006, 12:41 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-2fst4u@Jan 9 2006, 05:28 PM

As for the install it depends on what brand you get. Most are pretty strait forward, bold to the head weld to the pre-cat piping. The longevity depends on the material its made out of. I went with OBX b/c 1. they are inexpensive and 2. its SS. Even with the coatings headers will rust, H2O is a byproduct of the combustion process. Coatings only cover the outside of the header, not the inside.
[/b][/quote]

they also self destruct and make a massive fireball with time.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:48 AM   #15
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

do explain. are you going from personal experience, or just blowing it out your 4th point of contact?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:10 AM   #16
Oldsman
Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by Spy+Jan 14 2006, 11:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spy @ Jan 14 2006, 11:31 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Eddie@Jan 10 2006, 12:41 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-2fst4u
Quote:
@Jan 9 2006, 05:28 PM

they also self destruct and make a massive fireball with time.
[/b][/quote]

LOL good one spy.

i have yet to see ceramic coated headers rust. and if they do well i bet gets rid of the car before they do.

However i have seen SS exhaust rust. look at borla. it will rust. being that it is a cheap SS header i doubt it is high quality SS.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:57 PM   #17
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
http://store.racinglab.com/ol99al2papeh.html

which do I want to get? Painted or armor coat? (probably the armor coat, but I'm really unsure...)
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #18
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

armor coat. although, if you look inside of either one, these things look like crap. they are cast steel, and rough as anything on the inside (where flow is important). just my two cents.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #19
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
so they won't rust, but they have bad flow? grr.....

so what is really the best option? Budget >$400 for parts
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #20
Oldsman
Owner

get the armor caot. which is ceramic coating but not jethot.

buddy of mine has the armor coated pacesetter and it is not rough on the inside. it isn't super smooth but for the price of header you are getting it good. still a lot better than the factory exhaust manifold.