Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 03-14-2004, 11:24 PM   #1
2blessedalero
GX Member

2blessedalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello everyone, I own a 99 alero with the factory cd/tape player. My factory radio went out a few days ago. I checked all the fuses and the one on the passenger's side dash panel was blown. I repaced it, but it blew again. I then upgraded the fuse amp, but again it blew the fuse. When I upgraded the fuse, it worked until I turned the volume up, that is when it blew. Is this a common problem? What should I do?
2blessedalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:32 PM   #2
PSi 4 Two

It sounds like the radio has gone bad and over driving the components (that make up the volume circuit). Try a new/different radio.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:26 AM   #3
niral622
GX Member

niral622 is an unknown quantity at this point
check the bazaar section and see if anyone wants to sell their stock HU or just buy a basic pioneer (run about $70-90 if you look in the right spots) if you're not into sound systems B)

it's worth the extra 30 or 40 bucks to buy a pioneer b/c a lot of the cheaper HU's will give you poor quality and you'll end up spending more money buying a new one anyway
Old 03-18-2004, 09:35 PM   #4
2blessedalero
GX Member

2blessedalero is an unknown quantity at this point
It is still under warrenty. Should I get one from GM?
2blessedalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:44 PM   #5
Oldsmopimp

Quote:
Originally posted by 2blessedalero@Mar 19 2004, 02:35 AM
It is still under warrenty. Should I get one from GM?
Yea, If you have the bumper to bumper warrenty...bring it in. They will replace it
Old 04-21-2005, 10:57 PM   #6
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
First: sorry to bring up an old thread
Second:

My radio crapped out as well. No fuses are out. I get no sound from any speakers. It works like normal, the only thing missing is the sound. When this happened, I had turned the radio on and heard nothing, then normal sound for about a minute, then cuts out again, never to be heard again. I don't know if there's anything sun/ heat sensitive in the back where I have the back rack out. I want to buy a new HU I just want assurance that the stock HU is the problem here.
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:18 AM   #7
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
If you don't have a external amplifier and more than one speaker stopped then the HU is deffinately to blame. If only one speaker stops working it could be the HU, wiring, or speaker. You may take the radio in and see if it is under warranty as well. The manufacturer of the HU has a seperate warranty than GM. Fujitsu HU's are warrantied for five to seven years depending on the product. I think that Delco carries a five year warranty.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:50 PM   #8
eag182
V.I.P. Member

How do I tell what kind it is? My cars a 99 and I don't even know what dealer it came from.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:27 PM   #9
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
There will be serial number and company name on the top of the radio. Just call any GM dealership and give them the year and model of your car. They should be able to tell you how long the warranty is. If not, then try to contact the manufacturer. I will guess that it is Delco or Delfi. Possibly panasonic.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:28 PM   #10
dt_freak1

most factory GM HUs are provided by Delco Electronics. as far as loss of sound to all speakers means the HU is shot. if you dont have a warrenty just buy an aftermarket and a wiring harness and a mount bracket and do it yourself. its easy to do. here is the 4 steps to doing it. #1. pull out the metal clip on the factory shift knob and pull up. #2. the plastic base around the shifter comes right up without any prying just grab the edge of the cupholder and pull up. #3. grab at the bottom of the facing around the HVAC\HU piece and start pulling as there are about 8 clips holding that in. #4. take a wratchet set and undo the bolts holding the stock HU in place. the screws will work with a 7mm head. the hu will just slide out and you can easily pull the wiring off the back and unhook the factory antena plug. then with the new HU in a new mount bracket and wiring harness already prewired just reverse these 4 steps. make sure if you have a factory amp but no Class 2 system that you hook up the amp turnon lead from the aftermarket HU wires to the turnon lead on the wiring harness.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:25 PM   #11
eag182
V.I.P. Member

Funny you just responded to this because I furthur messed around with the back deck wiring and the stock HU turned on and all the sound was just fine again.

But I'm still getting a new HU
Old 04-27-2005, 04:41 PM   #12
dt_freak1

go for it. just make sure you dont have the sucky class 2 system. as for heads, i prefer alpine and eclipse and right now im runnin an alpine 9825 which works perfectly for what i want kevin