Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 02-13-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
knight03
GX Member

knight03 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy The dreaded LIM problem

Well I'm completely stressed out now. I bought my 02 Alero (v6) less than 2 weeks ago. Coolant light came on and low and behold the resevoir was dry. I topped it back up and discovered the leak at the LIM. I've done my reading on this on this forum and understand what the problem is. I'll be taking the car back to the dealer ASAP. My question/concern is how much damage has been done, what do I need to make sure gets completely replaced or thoroughly flushed out to ensure no problems in the future. Has the life of the motor been affected once this is resolved? Yes I do have the "butterscotch pudding" crap around the pcv valve and the oil cap.
I bought this car with the obvious intention of getting many years out of it and am now quite concerned this may not be the case.

Thanks in advance......
knight03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
You had a few good questions in there, i would be interested in knowing if the engine life is shortened by this problem???? cause i did have the leak, then the guy tightened the bolts where the leak was, it stopped for a while, and now my car leaks A TINY bit, every few days, like it wont leak for a few days, then there might be a little puddle under the car.

but yea, does this affect the engine life? performance? and like he said, what else should be done after we get this fixed? is anything else affected or not?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
IRONDOG442
GL Member

IRONDOG442 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to IRONDOG442
It depends on if you got oil in the antifreeze or antifreeze in the oil, of course watering down the oil in the car greatly lessens its viscosity or (resistance to flow). If I knew I had a LIM gasket failing that was putting antifreeze in my oil I would stop driving the car immediately. The lower ends of 60 degree v6s are strong but they were meant to be ran with oil between the bearings, not dexcool. I have also heard that over time a slow leak will cause detrimental damage to your camshaft and other internals inside the valley of the engine e.g. lifters. I am not sure there is a study on overall internal wear and tear or excess damamge regarding this problem but common sense tells you that this is definitely not a good thing. to just continue driving the car while a LIM seal is failing. What does the oil on the dipstick look like? Definitely change the oil observe the color and texture of it. Also when the car is fixed of course you want to change the oil thats in the crank case now.

Last edited by IRONDOG442 : 02-13-2007 at 10:11 AM.
IRONDOG442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
knight03
GX Member

Thanks for the reply irondog.

It is coolant in the antifreeze, I'm trying to get the vehicle to the dealership today. (not sure how long this has been happening for becuase as I said I just got this car) Engine has been running fine. Oil on the dipstick looks okay, definitely not sludgy like the upper area of the engine block.

I realize the engine will need to be flushed and oil change performed, as well a coolant system flush and refill. I'm curious as to whether any sensors or other things (I don't know that much about engines) would have become contaminated from this problem. I'm thinking that if the pcv valve is coated in this stuff that it is likely to have allowed some contamination into the exhaust system (I maybe way off with that thinking).
Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
HazMatt24
GLS member

HazMatt24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight03 View Post
It is coolant in the antifreeze,

LMAO, I would hope this was the case
1994 Chevy Suburban aka The Zombie Mower 4" Rancho suspension lift 2" body lift. 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Radial M/Ts 10000K HID 12" JL W3 Subs in custom box 1000W Alpine mono amp 1F capacitor 6.5" JL mids 4X6 Pioneers in dash 450W Alpine 4 channel Dynomax cat & exhaust
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT chameleon paint, Cadillac 22" wheels
HazMatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #6
knight03
GX Member

Thanks.....I meant coolant in the oil.....
Smart ass...LOL!
Old 02-13-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
It is coolant in the antifreeze...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt24 View Post
LMAO, I would hope this was the case

The dreaded coolant in the antifreeze leak. This is still a problem so much that all cars have it. haha
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #8
knight03
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGT View Post
The dreaded coolant in the antifreeze leak. This is still a problem so much that all cars have it. haha

Great! Laugh it up guys!!!! One little slippage of the words and I'm going to read about it all day........
Old 02-13-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
HazMatt24
GLS member

HazMatt24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Great! Laugh it up guys!!!! One little slippage of the words and I'm going to read about it all day........

don't feel bad, at least this isn't limited to GM cars
1994 Chevy Suburban aka The Zombie Mower 4" Rancho suspension lift 2" body lift. 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Radial M/Ts 10000K HID 12" JL W3 Subs in custom box 1000W Alpine mono amp 1F capacitor 6.5" JL mids 4X6 Pioneers in dash 450W Alpine 4 channel Dynomax cat & exhaust
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT chameleon paint, Cadillac 22" wheels
HazMatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
Mr_Reed
GL Member

Mr_Reed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mr_Reed
I topped my up with some stop leak and hasn't leaked a drop and that was about 4 months ago..
Old 02-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #11
knight03
GX Member

So you flushed the engine oil and the coolant and refilled and called it good?
Old 02-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #12
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
If you just bought the car, is there any ressource you have against the guy/dealer that sold it to you? I mean, I suppose the LIM gasket doesnt fail in two weeks, maybe they knew about it and didn't tell you.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #13
knight03
GX Member

I personally know the sales guy, and I'm meeting with the owner of the dealership tonight. I'm pretty confident I'll get this problem resolved without any expense to myself, tehy have been very apologetic so we shall see how far that goes. I've also given the dealership a heads up on the pending gm class action lawsuit regarding this matter (as they are not a GM dealership) so hopefully the dealership will be able to recoup some if not all expenses.