Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 04-28-2004, 08:20 PM   #1
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
I was thinking of upgrading the speakers (just the speakers, I don't need a ghetto bassbox). So I have a few questions:
I know I need an amp to get the full potential of higher wattage speakers, but do I need an upgrade amp from our stock 6-speaker amp for 500w 6x9's (1000w total)? (just to at least hear music loud, not necessarily loudest possible)
If I do need an amp, what brands are recommended, and what brands should I stay away from? What should I expect to pay for a *decent* one?

Sorry if my search wasn't thorough enough. Links for answers would be cool if it's easy.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:08 PM   #2
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok... so do we have a stock deck? or aftermarket?
Refrence using the stock monsoon amp to power GOOD aftermarket speaks.. i wouldnt bother
Get a good deck, with front and rear pre-outs
If you want GOOD speakers go with something like kappa perfects, or Alpine R-types
Get a 4chanel that will lay down 40-50 watts rms at 4 ohms per chanel
wire it all up.. and enjoy... should have enuff bass to keep ya happy as well as crispass sound, loud and clear all the way up :thumbsup:

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:52 PM   #3
Pacho

Some good amps I have heard from many people are alpines, orions, audiobahns, and mtx.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:12 PM   #4
niral622
GX Member

niral622 is an unknown quantity at this point
A friend and I were playing around with the stereo and hooked up Pioneer 6980's to a stock Sunfire Cassette Deck. They played pretty loud and had superb low notes, but there was not enough power going to the speakers and the radio display dimmed everytime the bass dropped. Either you can use your stock deck with higher powered speakers and turn the bass down and get only midrange and highs or you can get a 50w x 4 amp like blk03gxs said and get good bass and treble. Personally, I couldn't sacrifice my bass if I had to
Old 04-28-2004, 11:04 PM   #5
Screamin eagle
V.I.P. Member

Screamin eagle is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to Screamin eagle
I have had really good experience with memphis amps. The studio series is one of the best sounding amps I've owned.......
Old 04-29-2004, 12:14 AM   #6
BLK03GXS
GLS member

I forgot about the amp brand thing...lol
my prefered brands in order.. this is IMO ppl...
1:Alpine (not the MOST powerfull amps out there.. but they are clean, stable, and long lasting)
2:JL Audio (more powerfull, JL's, clean, allmost overpriced then alpine.. woofers are deffenatly)
3:Concept/Clarion/RF/Kenwood/Soundstream/Audiobahn All these are also good brands, not allways the most relaible (at least my experance with the last 4)
Then we have Sony, (insert cheep internet brand here) and any other amp that clames to put out 1000watts for 200 bucks.... :rolleyes:

Old 04-29-2004, 01:42 AM   #7
niral622
GX Member

I think when he says *decent* he means an amp that isn't going to cost a poopload :P

And in that case, any well-known brandname is almost out of the question since 50W x 4 for a typical brandname amp would cost around $200.

Albino: do you have a budget for the amp?
Old 04-29-2004, 05:20 PM   #8
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

I have stock audio right now.
Decent = Really good, but not necessarily expensive

Budget: Right now, I don't have much $$, but I just switched to full-time, so I think I should have around $500-$700 saved for audio upgrades by mid-June.

Oh, and about the bass: I love bass, but I don't want so much that I'll need SPL braces for the windows. :P
Old 04-29-2004, 09:46 PM   #9
Illarin

I replaced my front and rear speakers and they're ear-piercing just being powered by an aftermarket deck. Of course, they'd probably sound even better with an amp.

I have Alpine Type-R 6x9's.. if you go with them be aware that you're going to have to modify your rear deck. I had to cut the hell out of it to get those to fit.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:45 PM   #10
niral622
GX Member

wow, nevermind then....brandname away

btw, does anyone have a cheap non-brandname amp? does it work well?
Old 04-29-2004, 11:55 PM   #11
BLK03GXS
GLS member

There are no NON namebrand amps...
Their are lesser known brand amps... and really unknown brands that suck.. .but no noname brand...
Their are lots of Cheepo amps out there, just look on the web... i dont know of anyone that has used one perosonaly, but thats me
I have used a sony (or as i call it Sorny) 4chl.. worked fine, powering alpine s series all the way around... got kinda hot.. and didnt like anything other than 4ohm per chanel.. but its a sony...lol
Btw type R's are an exelent choice for both good crisp midbass and treble :thumbsup:

Old 04-30-2004, 12:35 AM   #12
BLK03GXS
GLS member

whoops repost.....

Old 04-30-2004, 01:40 AM   #13
niral622
GX Member

Quote:
There are no NON namebrand amps...

lol, you know what I meant...I have to agree with the alpine type r's, I heard them at CC...a couple months ago I was soo close to getting some Infinity Kappa 693.5i's but I decided I didnt have enough money to buy the speakers and the good amp that they would need (Actually I had the money, but spent it on a radar detector....I figure I only wanted to upgrade the 6x9's for low bass but since I have an Alpine 12" type r, I think I have enough bass for my needs )

so back on topic: bottom line, if you're going to buy good speakers, better count on getting a good quality amp :thumbsup:

Good Speakers IMO: Alpine Type S's, Infinity Reference and Infinity Kappas (693.5i or 692.5i), Pioneers (TS-6980R). All of those

Pioneer 6980: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zgJ6Aiw3F1i/c...ch=pioneer+6980 (need 2-80W RMS)

Infinity Kappa 693.5i: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zgJ6Aiw3F1i/c...search=infinity (need 2-110W RMS)

Alpine SPS-690A: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zgJ6Aiw3F1i/c...0&search=alpine (need 2-50W RMS)

Good Amps for those speakers: Ask anyone else lol
The only amp I have with is a Bazooka El1500 and thats a subwoofer amp - I will say that I have had no problems with it (no overheating or repairs) and got it for $70. Pretty good for an amp that puts out about 350W RMS @ 4 ohms. When I was looking for amps, I thought about Alpine or MTX amps, I dont know why, I was a noob tho even now, I would still consider them (never heard anything bad). Good price too...MTX thunder 404 is 50W x 4 RMS at 4 ohms and is only $250 at SoundDomain.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zgJ6Aiw3F1i/c..._info&i=236T404

I have seen that amp for $150 before, doesn't seem like too many people carry it anymore, maybe a model change coming out soon? or maybe they suck, idk lol

Everyone chime in because I dont know which way is up with amps and I would like to know which ones are good too
Old 04-30-2004, 02:29 AM   #14
Illarin

I didn't really like the Type-S's.. in fact I just replaced my 4x6 plates today because I blew one of them. As for amps, I'm running a 2Ch Crunch to power my subwoofers.. haven't really had any problems with it, cept overheating once in a while. That's only in 80+ degree heat, tho. I think I got it for around 100$ on ebay.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:56 AM   #15
niral622
GX Member

yeah, the Type S's seem low-powered....I would go for the pioneers if I was on a budget and the kappas if I wanted high-quality
Old 04-30-2004, 02:56 PM   #16
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

Okay, it's looking like that I would be going with the Pioneer 6980's for 6x9's. What would go well with them for the doors' 4x6's? Has anybody upgraded the tweeters inside the mirrors? (what would you suggest on those too?)

As for the amp, I still haven't heard anything negative about Alpine. What is your recommended model, given that I'll be getting Pioneers, and upgraded 4x6's? (I am really dumb on this...)
Old 04-30-2004, 05:22 PM   #17
niral622
GX Member

The front 4x6's are tricky. Either you can get normal 4x6's like so:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SoN8uThogJK/c...search=infinity

Or you can get 4x6 plate speakers which give cleaner midrange:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SoN8uThogJK/c...search=infinity

Better yet, you can custom mount some 5.25 or 6.5 inchers easily in the doors, but I think you need an adaptor or something like that, but you'll get really nice results.
http://invision.aleromod.com/index.p...opic=531&st=20

Some people even get kick panels:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SoN8uThogJK/c...y=XL#morephotos
Old 04-30-2004, 05:52 PM   #18
BLK03GXS
GLS member

You could run 5 1/4's or 6 1/2's in the front doors... i just put some old alpine s type 6.5's in my doors, better than stock, but you could put sonme GOOD 4x6's in the door's...
If you dont want to go about modfying the doors, or makin kustom shat go with some good 4x6's
No i havent upgraded the front tweets... but it could easly be done if you were to say get some componants :thumbsup:

Refrence the mtx amps... i beleave their power ratings are at 14.4v's or more... so at 12 or less your not getting that much power... the diff between 12, and 14 could be as much as 15-20 watts rms per chanel... so be carefull, check w.e amp you get out and get one that matches your speakers at 12.5v's as close as u can.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-80QwLtJdVwR/c...fo&i=500MRVF340
that amp would be good for any midrange speaks that you may get (rtype, perfects etc)
take a look at the power ratings at 14 and at 12 volts... and thats not just alpine amps that happens with all amps, not everyone knows that.

IF you want u can pm me and i'll awnser any questions that you may have

Old 05-01-2004, 02:17 AM   #19
niral622
GX Member

The Alpine is a good choice, makes the MTX look terrible which now that I look at it, I think the only reason I liked it was probably the bridged power since I wanted it to run two subs, but then I just got a mono amp:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ttoxBWKstW6/c...x=34&IMAGE4.y=3

^^btw BLK03, what would you define as good 4x6's? because i'm thinking of an upgrade also
Old 05-01-2004, 09:40 AM   #20
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

for 4x6's, I was looking at the Pioneer 4640. What do you guys think?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-D2QXf19OvNQ/c...1&avf=N&search=