Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
super white alero1
Trying to get it together

super white alero1 is on a distinguished road
Misfire Troubleshooting

Since this is Asked frequently. I thought I would a do a write up on Solving the dreaded misfire. This could be use to diagnosis most engines. From L3-W16
Recommended tools: scanner with engine data read out, Digital test meter, stand hand tools, a standard magnet, (universal joint sockets would be nice but not required)

First isolate the misfire. P0301, P302, P0303, P0304, P0304,etc……

1. Check for spark by removing the IDE cover using a known good plug hook it up to the boot. Have someone crank the motor over and check for arcing. On cable check by disconnecting and hooking plug to wire
Good move on
Bad - check coil pak -there are 2 coils swap the order and recheck to confirm misfire in different boot. If misfire in the same boot replace Coil pak housing. On V6 there are 3 coil pak swap those. (Common cause is a bad ignition module on both Q4 and V6(3100,3400, 3800)

2. Check MAF - hook up test leads and using a hand held fan check restance to see if changes occurs. Plug in connector , turn to KOEO, and see if MAF is responding.

3. If spark is good. Check fuel pressure (52-58psi) must hold for 2 minutes.
Good - move on
Bad - You got an injector leak or check valve bad at the fuel pump. Confirm bad check by test for fuel pressure at the fuel filter, if bad, change fuel pump (This is a rare case). If pressure is as stated and holding , next Dead panning (restrict the return flow) using a duck-billed visa-grip and restricting the return. Recheck pressure should hold for 2 minutes. If failed change injector (rare case as well).

4. If pressure is good pull injector harness and test using LED diode. If pulsing confirm. Move on.
No- pulse, do some wiring tracing, make sure engine harness not rubbing on block. Check pin-out at PCM.
Good - move on

5. Compression must disconnect injector to prevent injector releasing pressure. Crank and confirm pressure (100+ psi)

Good - move on
Bad - use compress air and hook up into cylinder, ensure piston is TDC and check for air leak at the throttle, exhaust, and oil fill. (Throttle - intake valve might be bent or rocker need adjusting, exhaust same as intake, crankcase - piston skirt worn).

6. Check for coolant in cylinder
Good - move on
Bad - common cause (head gasket, intake gasket, cracked head) If coolant in cylinder also check for coolant in radiator, Your vehicle should boil in about 5 minutes.

7. Check for air leaks around the cylinder using carb cleaner. Lightly spray around the cylinder and isolate the air leak. (Common cause vacuum lines.)
Good - move on
Bad- repair and retest

The following step requires more in-depth knowledge on motor (I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR MISTAKES FROM THIS POINT ON)

8. Check on Crank Position sensor (Lower front end of motor) remove and test for conductive. Hook up a test lead to contacts and pass a solid steel by-and-forth over the sensor. Do the signals change?
Good - move on
Bad - replace and retest

9. Check Cam-position sensor using above method
Good - move on
Bad - replace and retest

10. Since our cars use timing chain use you hear a know or grind I would leave this alone. But just in case someone things it the case. Align all the mark up. Check to see if #1 cylinder is TDC.
Good - move on
Bad - (Q4 - head job, at least 8 new valves, and have machine shop do a pressure test) reset timing, I recommend new guides, and new seal since you in there. Timing kit runs about $160.00 Do the water pump if you a Q4

Hopefully this will be enough. There are many minor things I may have left out. But those should be simply. Could a Mod make this a sticky.

Last edited by super white alero1 : 04-22-2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Could a Mod move this to the DIY section.
super white alero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
I'll probably take it in to my trusty mech, but that's good to know... I can expect one of these things. lol
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
AsianAlero
GX Member

AsianAlero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AsianAlero
so do you think that maybe my rocker arm is not torqued down properly? cuz the ocmpression is low but not to a point where i thinks anything is broken or even bent. 120 psi
AsianAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
super white alero1
Trying to get it together

super white alero1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAlero View Post
so do you think that maybe my rocker arm is not torqued down properly? cuz the ocmpression is low but not to a point where i thinks anything is broken or even bent. 120 psi

Quote:
5. Compression must disconnect injector to prevent injector releasing pressure. Crank and confirm pressure (100+ psi)

Good - move on
Bad - use compress air and hook up into cylinder, ensure piston is TDC and check for air leak at the throttle, exhaust, and oil fill. (Throttle - intake valve might be bent or rocker need adjusting, exhaust same as intake, crankcase - piston skirt worn).
No i don't thinks the push rods are bented or the rocker loose since you didn't hear any knocking or grinding. Misfire could be cause by anything. Its simplest to think this way, Intake (air), compression, explosion (spark), exhaust. Did you check the above as I mention?

Last edited by super white alero1 : 04-22-2008 at 10:04 PM.
super white alero1 is offline   Reply With Quote