Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 05-12-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
brad_galles16

I need new struts. Mine are horrible sounding. What do I need to lower my car?? I am new to all this stuff and am trying to learn. Should I get lowering springs or coilovers or what?? Thanks for the help. Please don't bash me or nothin', just trying to learn. Thanks
Old 05-12-2004, 12:02 PM   #2
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
if you find someone who makes coilovers for an alero u'll be a hero...u can get just springs from either eibach(small drop) or springtech, sprint performance, intrax(bigger drop)..as for struts, most will say KYB...hope it helps
Old 05-12-2004, 12:42 PM   #3
brad_galles16

What are coils or coilovers?? Where could I learn about all this stuff and what it is?? I have learned alot about audio just by messin' around with it but I don't know much about this stuff. Thanks
Old 05-12-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
dopey

Quote:
Originally posted by 2000_olds_alero@May 12 2004, 12:02 PM
if you find someone who makes coilovers for an alero u'll be a hero...u can get just springs from either eibach(small drop) or springtech, sprint performance, intrax(bigger drop)..as for struts, most will say KYB...hope it helps
me and soundxtreme make coilover for our cars.

no1 wants to shell out $600 for them though
Old 05-12-2004, 01:04 PM   #5
bdyman

most front wheel drive cars use today struts, front wheel drive cars like ours and many more use a uni-body construction and with a craddle to support the transmission,engine,and suspension
coil overs are fully adjustable springs billstein makes them for our cars but there over i believe $1,600
coil overs are great for road racing and really slamming the car,but you can`t drive the car fully slammed the suspension will get damaged and take a toll on parts, especially the cv joints
springs carry the load of the car, struts handle the road bumps,pot hole stuff like that
struts do not make noise,when a strut goes bad it will countinue to bounc and boune after you hit a hole or a bump in the road
i have the kyb struts with coil overs on my car before that i had spring tech springs on stock struts, spring tech springs give the best drop now that`s just my opinion
so i hoped that helps ya out alittle bit
but if you do buy new springs and struts and you have no idea what your doin take it to a good mechanic and let him install, springs are compressed onto the strut, and ya need a spring compressor to replace them
hope this helps
Old 05-12-2004, 01:06 PM   #6
dopey

actually u dont even need a spring compressor if u know what ur doin..... and ur dumb enuff like myself and joel to attempt it.

i know u dont need it to put the springs on.....
Old 05-12-2004, 01:09 PM   #7
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

i asked sound_xtreme and he told me he didn't make 'em anymore...i mite have gone that way instead of springs...
Old 05-12-2004, 01:12 PM   #8
vodkaslut85

silent, I'd be wiling to shell out the 600 if you could give me a lifetime warranty
Old 05-12-2004, 01:24 PM   #9
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
the reason i say i dont make them is because i am at school(2 hours away from my shop). and brent tends to be working out of town a lot. it'd takes a few months before they got finished.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:42 PM   #10
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

that's sum good reasons...it doesn't really matter now anyways...i didn't really have my heart set out on sum tho, i was just checking out my options
Old 05-12-2004, 01:50 PM   #11
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
hahaha, "a lifetime warranty" hahahaha
Old 05-12-2004, 02:12 PM   #12
Steve03TropicTeal

how is it done without a spring compressor?