Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 04-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
Runaboveit
GX Member

Runaboveit is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Random starter issues. Clunk sound.

This started about a month ago. I turn the key to start and the starter starts like it is going to start, then I hear this mechanical clunk and it no longer tries to start. Turn the key back and try again and it will do the same thing usually, try and then clunk. Other times it starts without an issue. It will always start after 2 or 3 tries.

It sounds like something is jamming. The flex plate is what the starter gear extends out and meshes onto right? Flywheels are only on manuals correct?

I haven't yet gotten underneath the car and checked it out, but I'm fearing there may be broken teeth on the flex plate.

My knowledge of when a starter goes bad is it will start clicking (solenoid) or a grinding sound when starting from worn out gears. This issue is neither. The starter sounds fine. When it does start, its quite quick. I don't have to hold the key long. No strange noises after starting either. It just has that loud halting clunk sometimes.

I would like to think its the starter, but I usually assume the worst. It doesn't sound like a headgasket issue, since I've read sometimes those can give a hard starting condition. It just stops. Possibly the gear isn't extending all the way?

I considered the solenoid, but this doesn't seem to match any solenoid issues. Unless its dropping power all together. I guess the sound could be the starter just suddenly stopping while engaged on the flex plate teeth. But it sounds more like a jamming. I'm also not sure if the gear would stay extended anyway if it lost power, isn't it a magnet type device in a way and it only extends with power?

I have to pay attention next time, but I don't believe I lose power in the car when it clunks. Actually no it doesn't, because after it clunks I remember seeing all my dash lights still on. The battery is a Duralast gold from 07. I last brought it in and checked/charged it (preventative maintenance - wasn't having issues, I just know batteries usually dont last more than a few years out here in nevada) back in mid february. It showed good with a load test and had a full charge.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated, before I go and fork out the $$ for a new starter and that not be the issue. But I do want to get this fixed soon before it potentially causes more damage.

edit: Would uploading a video help diagnose at all? Could there be multiple reasons for a halting clunk while starting?

miles as of 04/23/10

Last edited by Runaboveit : 04-27-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Runaboveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
check you battery connections, and clean them up, just incase

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote