Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
Leaking Trans Fluid

edit : forgot to include details.

Car is 2.4L 99,950 miles. Plus its Supercharged.
So lately I noticed i've been leaving small spots after a long period of time with the car sitting. So I took it to a shop and they jacked it up and we looked at it. I thought I was leaking oil so I suspected maybe with the cold just starting the drain plug was faulty and letting out some drops. Well the guy and me looked at the pan for the trans fluid and it had moisture around it and he said with the car on from the rear of the pan you could feel air flow.

So I figured alright simple fix the gasket is just on its way out. So they changed it for me and I guess there was quite a bit of fluid missing.

So I parked my car in a different spot last night after getting home (10 minute drive) to see if I could find any spots underneath in the morning. So I go out today and move the car and there is a pink tint in the snow (trans fluid ) It wasn't that much but still.

My questions are:

1. Since the car was only driven for 10 minutes since the change is the gasket still developing a seal ?

2. Where else can I look to find this leak? I don't think I have a hole in my trans because i'm not running through a crazy amount of fluid but could this possibly mean it's on it's way out?

3. Should I take it back to the shop and have them inspect it?

I am driving the car for a snowboarding trip at the end of December up into wausau wisconsin, it's about 6 hours one way so I need to make sure the car is going to make it.
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
lmao, dont be like me, drive for 6 hours on no tranny fluid.

is the car standard?

on my getrag 5 speed the output seals were leaking around the axles. and the one side was leaking because my axle had a groove in it

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Chris2000
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel6632 View Post
lmao, dont be like me, drive for 6 hours on no tranny fluid.

is the car standard?

on my getrag 5 speed the output seals were leaking around the axles. and the one side was leaking because my axle had a groove in it

Its automatic.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
Put a big piece of white cardboard (pizza box would do) under the trans when its going to sit after being warmed up. Use rocks, bricks or whatever so it won't blow away overnight. By morning you may see some stains. If you make a couple of sharpie (alignment) marks straight down from corners on the trans you will be able to examine the spots on the cardboard in the light and locate the drip points. Remember, oil drips from the lowest point it can get too which is not necessarily where it came from. Before doing much though I would want to make sure everything is clean and dry.

Good luck. Keep us updated.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
just curious but are you sure they cleaned up after themselves? it could just be the left over residue too
robalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
Chris2000
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robalero View Post
just curious but are you sure they cleaned up after themselves? it could just be the left over residue too

I doubt it.

And it's way to freaking cold outside to do anything myself.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2000 View Post
And it's way to freaking cold outside to do anything myself.

if thats how you feel just take it back.

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
3. Should I take it back to the shop and have them inspect it?

No. They have already proven to be incompetent.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
Chris2000
GL Member

My car is having the strangest things happening right now it's really annoying !!!!!!

Took the car back and they re-torqued all the bolts on the pan and the leak stopped (I think).

So he brings the car around front I get in it say thanks alot get in put it in drive and it dies. So I try to start the car and it turns over and dies, basically only staying on if giving it gas. So I unplug the iac sensor and plug it back in thinking maybe it's just a gremlin. That didn't work so I went back in and the guy came out and checked it out.

He brought out a scan tool and it was throwing a map sensor code saying the 2 bar map sensor for the supercharger was showing 0 volts (It's supposed to show 5). Got a new sensor and put it in and it still will not stay running.

Please any help??? Idea's?

We're thinking maybe a broken/pinched wire somewhere or a vacuum leak. It's at the shop right now and they're looking at it trying to figure out wtf is going on.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
I hope your not paying for this repair, I got a feeling they did it maybe not intentionally but by accident specially if they forgot to torqued down the bolts on the pan
robalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #11
Chris2000
GL Member

Update : Leak should be fixed completely but i'll know for sure in the morning if there is any hint of pink in the snow.

I told the "certified master tech" at the shop that I thought it was the IAC valve in the first place causing the car to not stay on and he told me "nope it shouldn't be" Well it was the iac valve...morons..they put in a new ac delco iac valve for me and the car is running perfect now. I took the old iac valve (which i replaced 2 weeks) back to autozone (EFF DURALAST) and demanded my money back. They basically told me nope, store credit or a swap for another iac valve. Yeah sure i'll take a replacement POS duralast iac valve that will fail again in 2 weeks...no I took the store credit for $85.59. So if anyone wants this card PM me i'll give you a little discount.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Update : Leak should be fixed completely but i'll know for sure in the morning if there is any hint of pink in the snow.

I told the "certified master tech" at the shop that I thought it was the IAC valve in the first place causing the car to not stay on and he told me "nope it shouldn't be" Well it was the iac valve...morons..they put in a new ac delco iac valve for me and the car is running perfect now. I took the old iac valve (which i replaced 2 weeks) back to autozone (EFF DURALAST) and demanded my money back. They basically told me nope, store credit or a swap for another iac valve. Yeah sure i'll take a replacement POS duralast iac valve that will fail again in 2 weeks...no I took the store credit for $85.59. So if anyone wants this card PM me i'll give you a little discount.

That's what you get for buying Duralast brand parts in your car. Should take the store credit and use it for filters and fluids and get real parts at a real auto parts store like NAPA or CarQuest. Only exception might be a battery or other special ordered parts at Autozone to get a better brand that they don't normally stock in the store.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #13
Chris2000
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
That's what you get for buying Duralast brand parts in your car. Should take the store credit and use it for filters and fluids and get real parts at a real auto parts store like NAPA or CarQuest. Only exception might be a battery or other special ordered parts at Autozone to get a better brand that they don't normally stock in the store.

Lesson learned I suppose. The first duralast replacement lasted 9 months so I mean that wasn't too bad but once this second one went in less than 2 weeks it was just like, "wow, seriously?"