Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 10-17-2011, 04:24 AM   #1
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
MP racing control arms

http://www.andysautosport.com/oldsmo...a00000001.html is this an upgrade from stock at all? I'm going to have to get bushings done soon I'v been looking around, I know a lot of guys have put on upgraded sway bars and control arms, these any good?
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
as the product discription says they are jsut reconditioned control arms. if you already have aluminum arms then these are NOT un upgrade.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
as the product discription says they are jsut reconditioned control arms. if you already have aluminum arms then these are NOT un upgrade.

I just have stock. the bushing are in BAD shape, I saw these came with them so I didnt know if it'd be worth it not. so from stock they wouldnt be an improvement?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
in 99 aleros came STOCK with aluminum arms. after 99 they came with stamped steel arms. if you have steel arms they are an upgrade. if you have aluminum they are not an upgrade. replaceing the bushings is pretty easy just so you know.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Mike The Canadian is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure if steel arms are an upgrade, a lot of guys move to the aluminum to upgrade.

I'm not sure there is a performance difference (I hear that they're better because they're lighter, upgrading the bushings will certainly make them better).

Going from aluminum to steel is a downgrade in my books...it's heavier and it corrodes...I'd much rather have the contorl arms that don't corrode to hell, but thats just my 2 cents (CAD).
Old 10-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

i wasnt very clear. i ment if you already have aluminum arms then the arms the OP posted will not be un upgrade. they are just referbished stock aluminum arms.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
but if he doesn't want to change the bushings himself this would be an easy in and out swap, and then he could sell his old controls to someone with 2000+ ones......
Old 10-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
mmorello82
GX Member

mmorello82 is on a distinguished road
It all depends on what you do with the car. If it is solely a daily driver, then stay with OE type stuff. If you are going to the track, then you can upgrade bushings and such. My alero is primarily a daily driver and I put all poly bushings in it. About a month later took them all out and replaced them with OE. It rode like a Semi and shook the hell outta me!
Old 10-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
Quote:
in 99 aleros came STOCK with aluminum arms. after 99 they came with stamped steel arms. if you have steel arms they are an upgrade. if you have aluminum they are not an upgrade. replaceing the bushings is pretty easy just so you know.

lol replacing the bushings is NOT easy...unless you happen to own a hydraulic press. if not you will be paying a shop to press them into the old arms.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Mike The Canadian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
i wasnt very clear. i ment if you already have aluminum arms then the arms the OP posted will not be un upgrade. they are just referbished stock aluminum arms.

I agree with you here!
I'd also avoid MPRacing if I were you.

He's gotten a very bad rap the past year or so...
I know people whom he owes thousands of dollars..
Old 10-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Alright. Thanks for the help. Im just going to stick with the stock arms for now and drop in new bushings. But I'm having at the shop. It's quite a procedure, you have to tear all the way in there and it'll need re alghnment. I don't have the tools for it right now quite the extra time.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #12
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

all you have to do is unhook the ball joint and the two bolts that bolt it to the craddle... sway bar link and i think three platick retainers and out she comes.

Last edited by a.graham52 : 10-19-2011 at 07:23 AM.
a.graham52 is offline   Reply With Quote